Author Topic: Rolls  (Read 4889 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Rolls
« on: October 09, 2011, 07:11:52 PM »
Today I made sandwich rolls and cinnamin rolls from a recipe I've had 20 years from a bread machine cookbook.  I no longer have the cook book nor the machine.  But I use this often.

I made two batches in separate bowls of the following.

1 2/3 c. water
2 2/3 T. oil
2 2/3 t. sugar
2 t. salt
4 c. flour
2 1/2 t. yeast

I warm up pyrex measuring cups with the water then stir in the yeast and sugar.  When it's foamed I add it to the flour, add oil and salt and stir it all together.  Not big on kneading so I just make sure all the flour gets incorporated into it.

I let it rise until double.

For the rolls I get 8 nice sized rolls. I flatten them a bit on the pan and let them rise again.  Then bake 400 for no more than 15 minutes (check after 10--depends on your oven and how brown you like them)

Since I figure homemade bread covers a multitude of cooking sins I skipped making bbq beef today and wimped out and got it at the store yesterday.

For the cinnamon rolls I roll it out, oh, about 12 by 15 (more or less lol) then spread out a filling over it.  Roll it up and make 16 slices. Place in baking dish and let rise.
Bake at 400 for 15 -20 min (check after 15). Frost if desired.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Rolls
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 07:18:06 PM »
  I could eat.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 07:20:07 PM »

Yeah, I'm on a diet and all y'all do is talk about food.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 07:23:56 PM »

Warm rolls with lots of butter aren't fattening,are they? ::thinking::
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:29:18 PM »

I don't think so.  I just ate one with butter and I look the same.

::laughonfloor::

I'll let you know if anything happens after I eat a cinn roll.  :)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 07:36:05 PM »

::gaah::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 06:36:36 AM »
Mmm Cinnamon rolls!!!

::whoohoo::

That reminds me, I hope someone got my grandmothers ultra-secret recipe!

::praying::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 09:36:34 AM »

I don't think so.  I just ate one with butter and I look the same.

I'll let you know if anything happens after I eat a cinn roll.  :)

I ate two!  And I kid you not when I stood up to put the plate in the sink my daughter asked me "have you lost weight?  Your pants are too loose."

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 10:03:10 AM »
I started making skillet cinnamon rolls about 6 months ago.
Tooting my own horn and they're pretty darn good.

My mom was famous for her buns (not the kind that Kim Kardashian has) but sandwich buns.
Family reunions, outings, or whatever, it was a standard request for Velma to bring buns.

Alas, her recipe got misplaced and I never paid attention when she made them.
In reality, the recipe was just a guide.
She measured by eye

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 10:17:11 AM »
I started making skillet cinnamon rolls about 6 months ago.
Tooting my own horn and they're pretty darn good.

My mom was famous for her buns (not the kind that Kim Kardashian has) but sandwich buns.
Family reunions, outings, or whatever, it was a standard request for Velma to bring buns.

Alas, her recipe got misplaced and I never paid attention when she made them.
In reality, the recipe was just a guide.
She measured by eye

I'm sure they are. Even so-called homemade ones I've had at restaurants aren't as good as really made at home baked goods.

A cast iron skillet?

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 11:32:59 AM »
Yes, cast iron skillet

Here's what I use

HOMEMADE CINNAMON ROLLS

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,174,150187-253196,00.html

4 1/4 to 4 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. butter
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
6 tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 recipe Maple Nut Glaze or Powdered Sugar Glaze
Step 1: In a large mixer bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the all-purpose flour and yeast. Heat the milk, granulated sugar, the 1/4 cup butter and salt just until mixture is warm (120 to 130 degrees) and the butter is almost melted, stirring constantly.
Step 2: Add milk mixture to flour mixture; add eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds; scrape sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can. (Dough will be soft.) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball.
Step 3: Place dough in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours). (The dough is ready for shaping when you can lightly and quickly press two fingers 1/2 inch into dough and indentation remains.)
Step 4: Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough in half; shape each half into a smooth ball. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes.
Step 5: On lightly floured surface roll half the dough to 12x8 inches. Spread with 3 tablespoons softened butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle half over rectangle. Roll up from a short side. Seal edges. Make a second roll with remaining dough, butter and sugar mixture.
Step 6: Slice each dough roll into 8 pieces. Arrange slices, cut side down, in a greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Cover; let rise until nearly double (about 30 minutes).
Step 7: Bake rolls in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown. Invert at once onto a wire rack. Cool slightly. Drizzle rolls with Maple Nut Glaze or Powdered Sugar Glaze. Serve warm.
Makes 16 rolls.
MAPLE NUT GLAZE:
In small bowl combine 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons maple syrup or 1/2 teaspoon maple extract and enough water or milk (2 to 3 teaspoons) for drizzling consistency. Stir in 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans.
POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE:
Combine 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and enough milk (about 3 to 4 teaspoons) for drizzling consistency.
FREEZING AND REHEATING:
Bake and cool rolls as directed, do not glaze. Wrap in moisture and vapor proof wrap. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat in a conventional oven, wrap frozen rolls in foil. Place in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until warm. Drizzle with your choice of glaze.
To reheat in a microwave oven, wrap 2 of the frozen rolls in microwave-safe paper towels. Micro-cook on 100% power (high) for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until warm. Drizzle with glaze.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 12:16:52 PM »

FREEZING AND REHEATING:Bake and cool rolls as directed, do not glaze. Wrap in moisture and vapor proof wrap. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat in a conventional oven, wrap frozen rolls in foil. Place in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until warm. Drizzle with your choice of glaze.
To reheat in a microwave oven, wrap 2 of the frozen rolls in microwave-safe paper towels. Micro-cook on 100% power (high) for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until warm. Drizzle with glaze.

People do that?   ::laughonfloor::  Mine don't make it that far. 

I will try this.  Thanks.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »
Mine don't last that long either.
By the second day (if they last that long) they do tend to get a little hard.
20 secs in the microwave and some butter on top fixes that

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 06:53:17 PM »
Today I made sandwich rolls and cinnamin rolls from a recipe I've had 20 years from a bread machine cookbook.  I no longer have the cook book nor the machine.  But I use this often.

I made two batches in separate bowls of the following.

1 2/3 c. water
2 2/3 T. oil
2 2/3 t. sugar
2 t. salt
4 c. flour
2 1/2 t. yeast

I warm up pyrex measuring cups with the water then stir in the yeast and sugar.  When it's foamed I add it to the flour, add oil and salt and stir it all together.  Not big on kneading so I just make sure all the flour gets incorporated into it.

I let it rise until double.

For the rolls I get 8 nice sized rolls. I flatten them a bit on the pan and let them rise again.  Then bake 400 for no more than 15 minutes (check after 10--depends on your oven and how brown you like them)

Since I figure homemade bread covers a multitude of cooking sins I skipped making bbq beef today and wimped out and got it at the store yesterday.

For the cinnamon rolls I roll it out, oh, about 12 by 15 (more or less lol) then spread out a filling over it.  Roll it up and make 16 slices. Place in baking dish and let rise.
Bake at 400 for 15 -20 min (check after 15). Frost if desired.

One kneading only?  I can get behind that.  Made Italian bread while The Mother was here and, because it was too dense the last time, I didn't knead it after the first rising, just punched it down and rolled it around a bit for the 2nd rise, after which I punched it one last time, separated it into two loaves and let it rise one last time on the cornmeal-covered stone and stuck 'em in the oven.

Two big loaves, less dense, nice crust.  Freezes/defrosts nicely, too.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 10:42:27 PM »

One kneading only?  I can get behind that. 

Great isn't it?  I keep telling people you don't have to haul out the bread machine or stand at the counter for 10 minutes kneading.  (I have several recipes I've used that specify 10 mintues or more of kneading. Ugh. I don't and the bread turns out fine.)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 12:32:30 AM »

Great isn't it?  I keep telling people you don't have to haul out the bread machine or stand at the counter for 10 minutes kneading.  (I have several recipes I've used that specify 10 mintues or more of kneading. Ugh. I don't and the bread turns out fine.)

It is!  Could be the quality of the flour we access today, I don't know, but I find the bread is better behaved with less of a beating.  Win/win.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 10:03:16 AM »

It is!  Could be the quality of the flour we access today, I don't know, but I find the bread is better behaved with less of a beating.  Win/win.

I hadn't thought of that.

Speaking of which--anyone hear anything about the wheat crop this year?  I remember when it was flooding there was concern it could affect harvest and prices. 

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 01:27:37 PM »
Haven't heard, LV.  I looked at Ann Barnhardt's site as she's written about the wheat crop in the past, but found nothing.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 07:00:29 PM »
I wonder how Charles is doing with his diet? ::curtsy4::
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 07:04:01 PM »
I wonder how Charles is doing with his diet? ::curtsy4::

Stinker!

Maybe he's chosen to stay away from the Threads of Temptation.  ::angel::