Author Topic: Happy Columbus Day!  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Happy Columbus Day!
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:49:36 AM »
This used to be a regular holiday back in my day that we would celebrate...but ever since the pc/multi-culti/diversity cult bad-mouthed old Christopher, it has fallen off the national radar. 

I propose to put it back on!

::thumbsup::

So here's to you Chris!  The Vikings may have beat you to it, but you get the credit for having told people about it!

::beertoast::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Happy Columbus Day!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »
No doubt Libertas. When I was a kid, we used to sing about CC in school, and he was revered as a bold adventurer to whom we owed the very discovery of the land upon which our nation exists.

Now he's just another evil White man of whom our children are taught to be ashamed, who killed inherently noble Brown people for greed and conquest.

At least my kids know better.

Happy Columbus Day!!!
 ::newyear:: ::grouphug::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 12:20:46 PM »

So here's to you Chris!  The Vikings may have beat you to it, but you get the credit for having told people about it!

Timing is everything.  
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 01:01:44 PM »

Now he's just another evil White man of whom our children are taught to be ashamed, who killed inherently noble Brown people for greed and conquest.

But they still won't deliver the mail today ! ::gaah::

RickZ

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »
I've always been confused as to why the Italians claim Columbus Day.  The Spanish have just as much right to the day and the parade, if not moreso as Spain paid for the Italian's voyages to the New World.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 04:35:18 PM »

Following the fall of the arab stronghold of Granada on January 2, 1492, there was a renewed impetus to remove Jews from Spain. On March 31, 1492, the Edit of Expulsion was signed. The deadline for Jews to leave Spain was August 3, 1492. Columbus and his crew boarded their vessels before midnight, and on the August 3rd sailed before sunrise.

Well, the rain exploded with a mighty crash as we fell into the sun,
And the first one said to the second one there I hope you're having fun.
Band on the run, band on the run.
And the jailer man and sailor sam were searching every one

For the band on the run, band on the run, band on the run, band on the run

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »
Google doesn't have any cute graphics to acknowledge today.  Bing at least made an effort though you have to hover over the picture to get it.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 07:31:25 PM »

Google doesn't have any cute graphics to acknowledge today.  Bing at least made an effort though you have to hover over the picture to get it.

Monument to Christopher Columbus at Port Vell, Barcelona, Spain.

At the bottom right of the image is "<"  ">"  "i" ,  the first two allow you to scroll back and forth through the beautiful
daily images, the "i" will give information about the viewed image.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »

Following the fall of the arab stronghold of Granada on January 2, 1492, there was a renewed impetus to remove Jews from Spain. On March 31, 1492, the Edit of Expulsion was signed. The deadline for Jews to leave Spain was August 3, 1492. Columbus and his crew boarded their vessels before midnight, and on the August 3rd sailed before sunrise.

Well, the rain exploded with a mighty crash as we fell into the sun,
And the first one said to the second one there I hope you're having fun.
Band on the run, band on the run.
And the jailer man and sailor sam were searching every one

For the band on the run, band on the run, band on the run, band on the run

Welp, it's official.  I'm old, at least enough to know the lyrics to "Band on the Run".

I've always been confused as to why the Italians claim Columbus Day.  The Spanish have just as much right to the day and the parade, if not moreso as Spain paid for the Italian's voyages to the New World.

Rick?  Shaddap.  The Italian did the work and so gets the recognition.  Capisce?   ;D
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 02:33:46 AM »

Rick?  Shaddap.  The Italian did the work and so gets the recognition.  Capisce?   ;D

I understand the sentiment.  Just more picky food for thought:  When Columbus sailed to the New World, there was a Spain.  When Columbus sailed to the New World, there was no Italy.

It's like St. Patty's Day.  A conversation that may have taken place in old Eire:  "Say what?  They have a parade in America celebrating Irish drunks?  Saints and Begorra!  Let's emigrate and open up a bar."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »
 :D
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"