Author Topic: Live Chat GOP Debate, Tonight 8PM Eastern/7PM Pre-coverage  (Read 7495 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Live Chat GOP Debate, Tonight 8PM Eastern/7PM Pre-coverage
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 07:39:55 AM »
I tell ya, Newt was on fire last night. He was swingin' for the fences, and he hit a couple home runs. IF he didn't have a PAST, and he didn't SUCK, and he didn't reliably STAB conservatives in the back, AND he wasn't an angry looking pinch-faced little troll, I'd consider supporting him.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 07:50:05 AM »
Yeah, poor gNewt, a head full of wonderful ideas and capable of delivering concepts in seering inescapable logic...but he is still such a political creature, and one whom desires to be seen as relevant even in the eyes of enemies...and therein lies the danger of letting yourself be seduced by his performance.

Do I want him on the top of the ticket?  Nope.  Would I support him if Veep?  Possibly, if the top of the ticket was non-Ruling Class.

But this is just debate fodder anyway, I don't think he'd be interested in anything but the top job and if that wasn't in the offing would prefer to be SecState than Veep.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 08:16:21 AM »
Wow, do the PaulBots really go apenuts at the Blaze!  check out these comments!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/heres-a-look-at-key-moments-in-tuesdays-gop-debate/

Paul, yeah he's the ONLY ONE!

::hysterical::

Yeah, he hauls in tons of pork to his district for how many decades now?

Yeah, fiscal conservative my ass!

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 10:13:37 AM »
October 12, 2011 8:00am

Morning Examiner: Perry should just stop debating

by Conn Carroll Senior Editorial Writer

"For those hoping that three weeks of practice could make Texas Gov. Rick Perry a better debater, last night was a huge disappointment. Perry rarely spoke, let the other candidates dominate the forum, and when he did speak, he either issued useless generalities about increased energy production, or endorsed state-level crony capitalist projects like Obama’s Solyndra disaster.

But when the debate finally ended, things only got worse. Someone in the Perry campaign thought it would be a good idea for Perry to head over to the Beta Pheta Pi fraternity debate-watch party and take questions. Responding to a woman’s question about state’s rights, Perry said that one of the “reasons we fought the revolution in the 16th century was to get away from that kind of onerous crown.” Our revolutionary war was fought in the second half of the 18th century. During the same Q&A, Perry admitted that he is not a good debater. “I just try to get up every day and do my job, and debates are not my strong suit,” Perry said.

Perry has performed poorly in all four of the GOP debates in which he has participated. Even the candidate himself seems to acknowledge that debates can only hurt his campaign. So why show up? The Perry campaign is telling every reporter who will listen that debates don’t matter. OK. If they really believe that, then why have Perry show up at all? Why not just work crowds, raise money, and run TV and web ads? We know Perry can’t debate, so let the headlines be about what he CAN do.

GOP Debate:
The Examiner‘s Michael Barone: “If the goal of a candidate in a debate is to sound presidential, Romney achieved that at Dartmouth.”

The Examiner‘s Phil Klein: “Texas Gov. Rick Perry reinforced the doubts about the viability of his candidacy. It’s one thing if he had an off night or two, but he’s now turned in four straight weak debate performances, so it’s hard to believe he has it within him to do much better.”

The Washington Post‘s Jennifer Rubin: “Certainly, Mitt Romney has to be very pleased. He was smooth as silk, deflecting a question on RomneyCare, explaining the problems of community banks, and driving home the key message: He is the only candidate ready for prime time.”

Power Line‘s John Hinderaker: “Mitt Romney did very well again. He comes across as strong, reassuring, articulate, experienced, knowledgeable. … I don’t know whether the pundits who say this was make or break for Perry are right, but it certainly was not a strong night for him.”

Michelle Malkin: “Rick Perry once again failed to deliver. He was languid. Passive. Half-hearted. Listless.”

RedState‘s Erick Erickson: “Rick Perry was largely a no show in the first half. The forgotten man who once dominated, he’s rapidly becoming the Fred Thompson of the campaign season.”

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/morning-examiner-perry-should-just-stop-debating?

Ouch! ::facepalm::

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:36:40 AM by jpatrickham »

charlesoakwood

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »

I tell ya, Newt was on fire last night. He was swingin' for the fences, and he hit a couple home runs. IF he didn't have a PAST, and he didn't SUCK, and he didn't reliably STAB conservatives in the back, AND he wasn't an angry looking pinch-faced little troll, I'd consider supporting him.

Imagine him your VP and him in your office every day with a new idea.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 10:41:37 AM »
Perry will be in the ranks of the also rans.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 10:52:22 AM »
John Hinderaker?!

::mooning::

Another kiss of death for Romney!

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 11:00:06 AM »
Perry will be in the ranks of the also rans.

It's like a very slow prearranged funnel, and the only one who fits at the end of it is Romney. Key word is prearranged! ::unknowncomic::

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 11:09:42 AM »
I'll see their prearranged and go all in with predestined(1)!

(1) Rebellion.

;)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 11:09:52 AM »
John Hinderaker?!

I hate to say it Libertas, but I don't think Romney's dying. He's going to be the nominee. The field is set, no one is riding in on a white horse to save conservatives. He's got the money. He's polished. He's smart. He's richer than rich. He's been auditioning and practicing since 2006. Perry's done. Newt won't beat him. Bachmann won't beat him. Santorum won't beat him. Huntsman is worse. Paul is Paul. That leaves Cain.

Cain doesn't have the organization. Doesn't have the money. Her shoots his mouth off without thinking. He's a long-shot at best.

We'll never know how Palin, Ryan, Daniels, Christie, or any other GOP straight-talker might have done against Romney. But as the field stands, I see one long-shot hope to defeat him, and that's Herman Cain. As things move forward, I'm seeing the likelihood of Romney being defeated less and less.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 11:21:02 AM »
John Hinderaker?!

I hate to say it Libertas, but I don't think Romney's dying. He's going to be the nominee. The field is set, no one is riding in on a white horse to save conservatives. He's got the money. He's polished. He's smart. He's richer than rich. He's been auditioning and practicing since 2006. Perry's done. Newt won't beat him. Bachmann won't beat him. Santorum won't beat him. Huntsman is worse. Paul is Paul. That leaves Cain.

Cain doesn't have the organization. Doesn't have the money. Her shoots his mouth off without thinking. He's a long-shot at best.

We'll never know how Palin, Ryan, Daniels, Christie, or any other GOP straight-talker might have done against Romney. But as the field stands, I see one long-shot hope to defeat him, and that's Herman Cain. As things move forward, I'm seeing the likelihood of Romney being defeated less and less.

Well, took ya long enough to get there Pal!  (Just teasing!)  Hence my earlier posting on the Cain thread about cutting him a check...he may be a long shot, but right now he is the ONLY SHOT at getting We the People back in control of this thing.  No, Herman is not perfect, but Reagan is gone and nobody else on that stage has a snowballs chance in hell of saving us from ourselves, and Romney is death, perhaps a slower death than Obama but death regardless.  And I am not voting to simply prolong the death of America.  I'll go all-in on Cain and he either gets it done and we get a chance or we are screwed and I can plan accordingly.  I'm done compromising my principles.  I am not voting for a Ruling Class clown no matter how slickly polished and no matter who is opponent is.  It just isn't going to happen.  We have one shot at this and making the wrong choice will and should have serious and immediate consequences.  I'm tired of the zombie dance and I am giving one last chance to peacefull restoration of the Republic.  The question for the Ruling Class is "How can you ignore people fed up with business as usual?  How do you deal with me?"

Good luck to them on that score!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 12:01:27 PM »
I went "all-in" on a loser last go-'round, and it cost me $200. I gave $100 to Thompson early on, right after he jumped in, and then $100 again later, when it was "South Carolina or bust". Sonofabitch didn't last 2 weeks in the race after I donated.

I'm really loathe to make that mistake again - investing in a loser. But I s'pose if everyone thinks that way, he'll lose for sure. Idunno, I'll think about it. I just see the Romney juggernaut as all but insurmountable at this point. He's been too good in all these debates. He's closing the sale.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »
I went "all-in" on a loser last go-'round, and it cost me $200. I gave $100 to Thompson early on, right after he jumped in, and then $100 again later, when it was "South Carolina or bust". Sonofabitch didn't last 2 weeks in the race after I donated.

I'm really loathe to make that mistake again - investing in a loser. But I s'pose if everyone thinks that way, he'll lose for sure. Idunno, I'll think about it. I just see the Romney juggernaut as all but insurmountable at this point. He's been too good in all these debates. He's closing the sale.

I gave to Sarah and Jim DeMint, and said Hell with it! Now, who ever's left standing! ::smalldeadhorse::

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 01:12:25 PM »
Well, took ya long enough to get there Pal!  (Just teasing!)  Hence my earlier posting on the Cain thread about cutting him a check...he may be a long shot, but right now he is the ONLY SHOT at getting We the People back in control of this thing.  No, Herman is not perfect, but Reagan is gone and nobody else on that stage has a snowballs chance in hell of saving us from ourselves, and Romney is death, perhaps a slower death than Obama but death regardless.  And I am not voting to simply prolong the death of America.  I'll go all-in on Cain and he either gets it done and we get a chance or we are screwed and I can plan accordingly.  I'm done compromising my principles.  I am not voting for a Ruling Class clown no matter how slickly polished and no matter who is opponent is.  It just isn't going to happen.  We have one shot at this and making the wrong choice will and should have serious and immediate consequences.  I'm tired of the zombie dance and I am giving one last chance to peacefull restoration of the Republic.  The question for the Ruling Class is "How can you ignore people fed up with business as usual?  How do you deal with me?"

Good luck to them on that score!

I had to check my keystroke history on my laptop to see if I was the one that wrote this. :)

Last go-around I wrote in names for Pres/V.P. because I couldn't live with myself for supporting that Douche Bag McCain.  This time... I'm not sure I have that gag-reflex and violent (yes violent) hatred for the possible candidate(s).  A couple I could actually really support and approve of... but chances are those aren't the pre-approved people.

I'm just going to work hard until the decision is made and then go from there.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 01:48:08 PM »
There is a lot of time between then and now and I guess anything can happen...

...here's to hoping whatever that something is turns out to be more better than worse...

::beertoast::

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
Last night was Romney's night, Perry looked like a Guy at a Tennis Match watching the ball go back and fourth. Yes Michele, we know you had 28 Children. Paul, I could swear he is Festus from "Gunsmoke," Cain, is the Count. 9 9 9. Newt, wow! he is really starting to look Vice Presidential!

P.S. If we are going to settle for Romney, at least make Gingrich your Vice, just besure you watch how he spends his evenings!

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 05:04:08 PM »
Last election I voted off party cause I just could not stand obama or McCain.  Though I don't like Romney, if he is the Republican candidate he will get my vote.  We must not allow our dislike for the Republican candidate to give the a$$hat that is in the White House another term or all hope is lost!!!
Eschew Obfuscation

charlesoakwood

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
There is a lot of time between then and now and I guess anything can happen...

...here's to hoping whatever that something is turns out to be more better than worse...

::beertoast::

Yup, this time last election, Romney was on top.
I've not written my check for anyone yet,
we've got time.

With every debate except this one it's shifted.
There will be more shifts and rallies.
There are earthly forces money can't buy that
have yet to play.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »
I’m having trouble understanding the purpose of these debates, unless it is to anoint a clear front-runner before the primaries begin and the voters get to have their say.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 05:43:27 PM »
I’m having trouble understanding the purpose of these debates, unless it is to anoint a clear front-runner before the primaries begin and the voters get to have their say.

I'd say that's pretty much it. The RNC or the FEC or the CPD or whoever is responsible for these things existing would probably say that it is to help citizens get to know the candidates so they can make a more informed decision.

But in their current format, I'd say the purpose is two-fold: a) to anoint a frontrunner and support the narrative of frontrunner status, and b) to place all of the candidates and issues within the framework of the Leftist point of view, so that in the subsequent news cycles, their positions can be held up for ridicule and torn apart.

- Thomas Jefferson