Author Topic: Secret Government Workshop on Transparency Exposed  (Read 856 times)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
Secret Government Workshop on Transparency Exposed
« on: October 23, 2011, 02:38:10 PM »
Saturday, 22 October 2011 15:01 Tom Fitton

Judicial Watch Obtains Documents Detailing Secret Department of Justice Transparency Workshop

"Only in Washington would political appointees think it appropriate to keep secret a government workshop on transparency. And only in Washington would a politician promote his efforts on transparency while simultaneously taking steps to keep the American people in the dark about their government.

But that’s exactly what the Obama White House did on December 7, 2009. And Judicial Watch now has the evidence to prove it.

On Monday, we released documents detailing the Obama White House decision to close to reporters a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) training workshop conducted by the Office of Information Policy (OIP) in the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). JW obtained the documents from the OIP in response to a FOIA request filed on the same day the workshop was held.

The documents consist of a series of emails between White House staff and the Director of the OIP. And here are a few key excerpts from these emails demonstrating what disrespect this White House has for transparency:

“I am going to touch base with my public affairs office re your suggestion to get their reaction. I, personally don’t object as my message is the same whether the event is open or not. Our concern had been solely with the inhibiting effect it would have on the gov’t ’ees [employees] who might not speak freely if press are there.” — Melanie Pustay, OIP Director, to Blake Roberts, Deputy Associate White House counsel, December 6, 2009. “Ok – please don’t have them reach out to any reporters before I clear w/ wh [White House] press.” — Blake Roberts to Melanie Pustay, December 6, 2009. “After talking with… ben labolt [then-Assistant White House Press Secretary], the decision is that the training will be closed to the press.” — Gina Talamona, Press Release Deputy Director for the DOJ to Melanie Pustay and Brian Hauck, Counsel to the Associate Attorney General, December 7, 2009. “I think you have the right to give closed training when you want it.” — Brian Hauck to Melanie Pustay and Gina Talamona. The documents also include a statement by OIP Director Melanie Pustay regarding previous FOIA workshops: “So far I have always held parallel sessions, one for agency ‘ees [employees] and then one that is open.”

Now that’s interesting. A different workshop for “public view” than the one the employees are getting behind closed doors.

CORRUPTION CHRONICLES
Mexican Drug Cartels Make Texas Border A “War Zone” Feds Order School Dist. To Close Gap Between Minorities House Minority Whip Says Bribed Pal Is “Honest” $1.5 Mil To Promote Collective Bargaining In Vietnam Scandal-Plagued D.C. Mayor Gives Illegal Aliens Sanctuary 12-Year-Olds To Get Gardasil Without Parents’ Consent Regarding the FOIA training conference held on December 7, 2009, it was jointly hosted by the OIP and the Office of Government Information Services (OGIS) as a private workshop ostensibly to provide tips to FOIA public liaison staff members on communicating, negotiating, and resolving disputes with individuals and organizations submitting FOIA requests.

But, as we know, the devil is often in the details. And what was actually said and done in this private workshop we may never know."

http://www.rightsidenews.com/2011102214781/us/politics-and-economics/secret-government-workshop-on-transparency-exposed.html? ::facepalm:: ::bashing:: ::doh:: ::gaah::

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Secret Government Workshop on Transparency Exposed
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
What would REALLY be interesting is a point-by-point comparison of the content between the two workshops - the one for public consumption and the private one.

...One transparency workshop that the public is allowed to view, and another that is forbidden to the public... there can be only one reason, and that is they want the public to think one thing, while they do another.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:42:49 AM »
 ::saywhat::

Crony government begets crony capitalism, crony justice, crony transparency...

Seeing the same theme I am seeing?

::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 09:38:33 AM »
::say what::

Crony government begets crony capitalism, crony justice, crony transparency...

Seeing the same theme I am seeing?

::)

What I am seeing is the Horror Story that is Barack Obama, if we live through it. The How,  we got in this mess scenarios will soon be flying off the bookshelves, and many will make tons off their book deals. I am so happy for them! Still, it begs the question as to how, and why, this would be Demigod managed to slip through the cracks? An Amendment to the Constitution, known colorfully as the Obama Doctrine, to guarantee this never happens again, should be first and foremost on everyone's mind.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »
Getting the left side of the political spectrum to care is going to die a quick death.  Doing it over thier dead bodies is likely the only way it would get done.

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »
Getting the left side of the political spectrum to care is going to die a quick death.  Doing it over thier dead bodies is likely the only way it would get done.
Works for me. ::cussing::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »
Getting the left side of the political spectrum to care is going to die a quick death.  Doing it over their dead bodies is likely the only way it would get done.

The Conservative movement is way beyond agreement with the hard Left. Don't want to myself anyway. Thing is, if Romney wins the next election, it will almost assuredly give Liberals another shot at it in 2016, or 2020. That is unacceptable, and we have to work toward that end almost immediately. This Nation will not survive as long as Liberals operate as they have.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 01:44:30 PM »
I can't argue with eother of you guys.

And I sure wish more in this nation saw things as clearly!