Author Topic: Herman Cain's 999 Plan  (Read 23993 times)

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
Re: Herman Cain's 999 Plan
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2011, 12:56:16 PM »
So what is actually happening is the employee is relieved of federal income tax and 7.5% FICA, replaced by 9%. The employer is relieved of corporate income tax and 7.5% FICA, replaced by 9%.

This just my knee-jerk first thought.. and the first thought thing seems to do me good on tests.. so I'll go with it here too. :)

Right now the tax is 15% and split 2 ways; 7.5% and 7.5% (employer and employee).
Cain's lower tax is 9% and split 2 ways; 4.5% and 4.5% (employer and employee).

I'm just thinking that makes sense.

That part of the tax change isn't much different.. it's like getting a Cost of Living increase one year.... man.. I can barely even remember merit and cost of living increases.. seems like a thing lost to history.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2011, 01:06:03 PM »
Well, if that's the case Delnorin, Cain certainly hasn't articulated it. Could be though.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »
Well, if that's the case Delnorin, Cain certainly hasn't articulated it. Could be though.

Nor articulated (to my satisfaction) the Empowerment Zones.

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2011, 01:14:53 PM »

Are we experiencing a little of what congressmen experience in D.C.?

An idea is tossed out for the masses to approve of and the media all support it or condemn it.  But we... the people that have to dig into the details and know EXACTLY what's in the small print... find a LOT of questions.

But... by then the public has either gotten behind it or they hate it and no matter what the 'truth of the matter' is about the details.. if we go against the public now we're screwed?

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2011, 01:39:29 PM »

Are we experiencing a little of what congressmen experience in D.C.?

An idea is tossed out for the masses to approve of and the media all support it or condemn it.  But we... the people that have to dig into the details and know EXACTLY what's in the small print... find a LOT of questions.

But... by then the public has either gotten behind it or they hate it and no matter what the 'truth of the matter' is about the details.. if we go against the public now we're screwed?

That's a good thought. Every once and a great while, when I get a wee glimpse of what legislators have to go through, I get a smidgen of empathy... and then it goes away.  ::exitstageleft::

As it is, with many conservatives feeling that Cain is the last hope to thwart a Romney candidacy, the last thing I relish doing is picking apart 9-9-9 now that he's done such a good job selling it.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2011, 01:45:40 PM »
That's a good thought. Every once and a great while, when I get a wee glimpse of what legislators have to go through, I get a smidgen of empathy... and then it goes away.  ::exitstageleft::

As it is, with many conservatives feeling that Cain is the last hope to thwart a Romney candidacy, the last thing I relish doing is picking apart 9-9-9 now that he's done such a good job selling it.

I hate purposefully going into things looking for the hidden crap and problems also.  Especially in the ideas of people that I have chosen to support.
But that's the way I roll (to use a phrase my daughter uses).

If I am going to support you; I am going to hold you to a higher standard than everyone else.. because you have my name and reputation, my character and integrity attached to you now.  You're not just some random person on the street that makes decisions for me.  You have my family honor directly linked to you now.

And I will burn the house to the ground before you destroy that.

Major reason I couldn't back McCain.... does anyone -really- want their personal and family reputation and honor attached to that douche bag?

Same goes for anyone I vote for.. you'd better have your house in order and inspire and lead me... not embarrass me.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 02:46:07 PM »
We have lived thru 3 years of pelosi telling us she (libs) are ethical and 3 years of obama speeches , only to discover his rhetoric does not match his motives. We have reason to be careful and vette our candidates.

But on the same thought, with any idea, especially one changing tax code, requires planning and excution. So, on the surface, I like the 999 plan. I like its simplicity. In business, simple is cheaper. Do I want more info? Of course I do, but I've experienced ideas scuttled because the delivery and timing was wrong. In vetting Mr Cain, I've had a couple of issues with a few comments, but nothing major. If anything, he exhibits a knack to understand his missteps and overcome them. He is now flourishing in the debates......I like the fact he can learn on the run, so to speak.

Don't forget the fact he is a businessman. Its how he thinks and imo, it is why he is delivering his 999 plan as he is.....Think of it as a product....And he has two, the 999 plan and himself. He is selling both. He has watched other products blow all thier grand opening budget in the first few weeks and now no one is buying and it doesn't matter why. Allow him to grow his brand.

I know it is hard.....We conservatives have been burned....We don't want to be burned again. We have an agenda and by god, we want it, we deserve it....But, (there is always a but) two things. First, my gut....and my gut likes and trusts this guy. Second, I like him because he branding himself, just like he did his business...and it led to success. The other guys (and gals) are over in the discount bin today, feverishly attempting to be relevant or attempting to re brand an old product.

So I'll give him leeway. Some rope. I've made an investment and he hasn't reached my stop limit. Actually, he is appreciating in value.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »
If he could just cut that 9 9 9 to 4 4 4 then, he would have something! ::oldman::

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »
If he could just cut that 9 9 9 to 4 4 4 then, he would have something! ::oldman::

Or even a compromise...

6 6 6

::hysterical::

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2011, 03:38:47 PM »

Or even a compromise...

6 6 6

Heck, It's what I feel we have now..... ::evil::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2011, 03:46:51 PM »

Not making any associations with our current candidates at all.. but just pondering...

I wonder if the time of the anti-Christ.. we will welcome him with open arms because he will speak common sense and have simple answers for all the problems..... seems my Bible says something like that.

I've just had the feeling that ... anything could be better than this ... a few times (okay, a few hundred times) over the last couple decades.

It's interesting to view events through the eyes of the Bible... indeed.. I can see us/we/the people embracing someone that steps in and saves us from ourselves.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2011, 03:51:02 PM »

Or even a compromise...

6 6 6

Nah, I live in the 665 areacode. You know - not exactly Hell, but you can see it from my back porch... ::evil::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »

Or even a compromise...

6 6 6

Nah, I live in the 665 areacode. You know - not exactly Hell, but you can see it from my back porch... ::evil::

::laughonfloor::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2011, 07:43:49 AM »
THE endorsement that matters

Godfather of Supply-Side Economics Supports Cain's '9-9-9' Plan

Famed supply-side economist Art Laffer told HUMAN EVENTS that Cain's "9-9-9" plan was a pro-growth plan that would create the proper conditions for America's economy to grow and thrive again.

"Mr. Cain’s plan is simple, transparent, neutral with respect to capital and labor, and savings and consumption, and also greatly decreases the hidden costs of tax compliance. There is no doubt that economic growth would surge upon implementation of 9-9-9."

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2011, 10:30:48 AM »
We're talking about it with a specific plan--maybe it's not the best but it's better than rhetoric that we need to do something--he put something out there.  Similar to Ryan--he put a plan out there and created a firestorm that got people talking.  These are things some people until now never thought about.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Janny

« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2011, 10:39:06 AM »
Cain advisers a secret?

What's up with this? I am very skeptical of Cain. I too see the "empowerment zones" as a huge red flag. I also already pay a 9% state/local sales tax, so now it would be 18%? And that will grow the economy?

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2011, 11:17:01 AM »
Janny, I'm still undecided on this plan but the sales tax thing is sort of attractive to me in some ways.
People that are paying nothing now would have skin in the game
Reducing the income tax to 9% and eliminating the 7.65% ss and medicare tax gets me to an effective 1.35% income tax (plus the employer match)

The devil will be in the details and, specifically, what will be exempt from the sales tax.
Pa, for example,  has so many exemptions to their sales tax that it's impossible to know every one of them
Should food and clothing be exempt?
Will internet sales finally be included?

I assume new cars and houses would be included but what about if I sell my used car or my house and buy a "used" home?

The 9% corp tax sounds good on the face. I know it allows business investments to be deducted but what about business expenses?

charlesoakwood

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2011, 11:17:47 AM »

Rasmussen Poll

Cain ........................29%
Romney ...................29%
Gingrich ...................10%
Rick Perry ..................9%
Ron Paul ...................5%
Michele Bachmann ......4%
Rick Santorum ............2% 
Jon Huntsman ............2% 
some other candidate .3%
not sure ....................7%

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2011, 11:25:01 AM »
Janny, I'm still undecided on this plan but the sales tax thing is sort of attractive to me in some ways.
People that are paying nothing now would have skin in the game
Reducing the income tax to 9% and eliminating the 7.65% ss and medicare tax gets me to an effective 1.35% income tax (plus the employer match)

The devil will be in the details and, specifically, what will be exempt from the sales tax.
Pa, for example,  has so many exemptions to their sales tax that it's impossible to know every one of them
Should food and clothing be exempt?
Will internet sales finally be included?

I assume new cars and houses would be included but what about if I sell my used car or my house and buy a "used" home?

The 9% corp tax sounds good on the face. I know it allows business investments to be deducted but what about business expenses?

Good questions re: sales tax, even in states not all items are taxable, so that has to be defined.

If businesses taxed on net income and no windfalls...even with incentives and credits waved that is a plus to me.  More details have to be worked out on individual side IMO...itemizing, 401k's, etc.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »

Rasmussen Poll

Cain ........................29%
Romney ...................29%
Gingrich ...................10%
Rick Perry ..................9%
Ron Paul ...................5%
Michele Bachmann ......4%
Rick Santorum ............2% 
Jon Huntsman ............2% 
some other candidate .3%
not sure ....................7%

Must...stop...Romney!!!!