Author Topic: SC legislators: Make your incandescent bulbs here  (Read 5684 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
SC legislators: Make your incandescent bulbs here
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:59:18 PM »
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/28/2100644/sc-legislators-make-your-incandescent.html

Federal law phases out incandescent light manufacturing beginning in 2012 with 100-watt bulbs. In 2014, manufacturers will stop making 75-, 60- and 40-watt bulbs. Sandifer's bill will let incandescents be manufactured in South Carolina of imported parts and sold here with a "Made in South Carolina" label.

Sandifer isn't worried that South Carolina bulbs might be bootlegged like the state's relatively cheap cigarettes have for years. "I think if we succeed in doing this, you will see an awful lot of states doing a similar thing," Sandifer said, "it won't take but a few states and the feds are going to get the message loud and clear."

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/28/2100644/sc-legislators-make-your-incandescent.html#ixzz1FbFhEGHE
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: SC legislators: Make your incandescent bulbs here
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:14:35 PM »
"Let"?  Similar to "allow", it makes my blood boil.

Just repeal the POS and be done with it.

And a giant, royal, one-finger salute to Bush for signing it in the first place.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 10:19:23 PM »

And a giant, royal, one-finger salute to Bush for signing it in the first place.

Michele Bachmann Pushes New Pro-Choice Law…for Light Bulbs

Bachmann: “The government has no business telling an individual what kind of light bulb to buy.”
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »

Michele Bachmann Pushes New Pro-Choice Law…for Light Bulbs

Bachmann: “The government has no business telling an individual what kind of light bulb to buy.”

Yeah, I know, IDP; I saw it.  Hope she can get 'er done.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 10:33:56 PM »

In the meantime stockup on 100watt bulbs.

Recently purchased GE's do not last two months. 

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:34:16 PM »
I agree the stupid law should be repealed by Congress. However, I also like seeing the individual states attacking the overstepping authority of the federal government through their own initiatives. This is similar to the Montana bill about in-state manufacture of firearms, and several other states have introduced similar measures.

Right now the states are looking like the best bet for reigning in the Feral government.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline cropperz

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 06:53:09 AM »
Just found out First Energy Ohio is selling the bulbs they got stuck with last year when most of Ohio raised hell with their program to force two bulbs on each customer and putting them on our bills-like it or not.Now they're marketing these things for a buck apiece locally,while adding 1.50 to our monthly bills to finish paying for them,plus a "small additional charge" to make up for lost revenues due to any supposed energy savings by these bulbs.And we pay whether we buy them or not.It's finally time for me to help defeat  these extortionate schemes which seem to get rubber stamped by PUCO and shoved down the throats of a long suffering public.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 07:10:49 AM »
More rebellion is a good thing.  I'd like to have everyone ship their expensive mercury-laced feral bulbs to their nearest DemonRat politican with a polite note indicating where they can stick it!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »

In the meantime stockup on 100watt bulbs.

Recently purchased GE's do not last two months. 

About as long as a GE appliance in the 21st century.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »
Stock up on Sylvania bulbs. At least in my experience, they last about 2 times longer than GE bulbs.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 10:56:46 AM »
Stock up on Sylvania bulbs. At least in my experience, they last about 2 times longer than GE bulbs.

If you can find them.  Was shopping yesterday and all that was available was GE incandescents, so I got them for now.

What I've also noticed is that, in lamps in particular, the socket itself goes bad after a time causing early bulb-burnout.  If you're handy at all, it's a small thing to replace the socket -- also made in China, GRRRR.  The three lamps in my house have 3-way sockets, so I've stocked up on those bulbs, too.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 11:08:29 AM »

If you can find them. ...

We got a whole bunch a while back. Don't quote me cuz I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering correctly, but I think it was at Sam's Club.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 10:40:19 PM »
The whole thing really pisses the wide off to no end because she has had a brain injury twenty years ago and sees the flickering of fluorescent bulbs which then give her a migraine. I can only imagine how this affects our veterans with this type of injury. Wait until Congresswoman Giffords finds this out, she'll be pissed to.

On a good note, Michelle Obama has reportedly slipped on a banana peel thrown onto the floor by her chimp husband. No swinging on the chandelier for the rest of the month! ::hysterical::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 10:50:20 PM »
Just found out First Energy Ohio is selling the bulbs they got stuck with last year when most of Ohio raised hell with their program to force two bulbs on each customer and putting them on our bills-like it or not.Now they're marketing these things for a buck apiece locally,while adding 1.50 to our monthly bills to finish paying for them,plus a "small additional charge" to make up for lost revenues due to any supposed energy savings by these bulbs.And we pay whether we buy them or not.It's finally time for me to help defeat  these extortionate schemes which seem to get rubber stamped by PUCO and shoved down the throats of a long suffering public.

Welcome cropperz!

Were these the ice-cream cone CFL thingies? I must admit that I have some in fixtures that I always leave on but I'd like it to be my decision whether or not I use them. Don't ever use them inverted because they'll burn out in no time!

My garage is getting jam-pack full of all the stuff I'm not supposed to have!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 11:59:06 PM »

warpmine, I've a couple of friends for whom fluorescent lighting is intolerable. 

Luckily I don't have that problem.  I buy shop fixtures for $9.00, build a frame out of 1x4s or 6s, turn the fixture upside down and let it reflect off the ceiling.  For the back, which faces the floor the choice is to taste, there is no heat so it can be a beer poster, exotic wood, or slats.  They cost nothing to run and make good general lighting.  My lamps have incandescent bulbs.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 07:32:16 PM »
I found incandescent light bulbs on sale at the grocery store the other day. I filled a shopping basket. I left a few for others but I got most of them. I am well on my way to filling a box that is about a cubic yard in size. The way that I look at it, what I don't use in my lifetime I can pass on to my children. Or sell on eBay in a few years.

Another way to look at having a huge supply of real light bulbs on hand: You are preserving your freedom of choice.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 07:51:09 PM »
I buy a bunch whenever I come across them.

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 07:56:06 PM »
I found incandescent light bulbs on sale at the grocery store the other day. I filled a shopping basket. I left a few for others but I got most of them. I am well on my way to filling a box that is about a cubic yard in size. The way that I look at it, what I don't use in my lifetime I can pass on to my children. Or sell on eBay in a few years.

Another way to look at having a huge supply of real light bulbs on hand: You are preserving your freedom of choice.

Black market lite bulbs....Who'd a thought we would come to this because of gov't interference.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 09:29:38 PM »

warpmine, I've a couple of friends for whom fluorescent lighting is intolerable. 

Luckily I don't have that problem.  I buy shop fixtures for $9.00, build a frame out of 1x4s or 6s, turn the fixture upside down and let it reflect off the ceiling.  For the back, which faces the floor the choice is to taste, there is no heat so it can be a beer poster, exotic wood, or slats.  They cost nothing to run and make good general lighting.  My lamps have incandescent bulbs.

Can you photgraph and post?
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 10:41:07 PM »

Can't do that. Looked around and didn't find an example.  The lights on the market are designed to face down into the room which is the opposite of this concept.

Store bought fixtures mount flush to the wall and face down, these do the opposite.  The frame is hung away from the ceiling which allows light to reflect off the ceiling into the room.

The idea came from a mom and pop restaurant. The frames were probably fabricated on site .  Basically it is the wood of choice to form a rectangle, mount the fixture inside the frame, and put a back on it.  Then mount it from the ceiling, lights with reflector facing the ceiling.  Brass chains at the four corners will work.

At the restaurant the back (the cover over the frame that faces the floor) were shutters  *  with natural finish. The shutters allow direction adjustment of the back light.  It could also be an acrylic diffuser or your choice to allow more or less light through the frame.

*The good folks at http://horizonshutters.com/ provided the image of the shutters.  They approximate the restaurant shutters.