Author Topic: BMG's Chili  (Read 2182 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
BMG's Chili
« on: October 13, 2011, 03:00:21 PM »
This recipe makes enough chili for about 15 servings. This is also a very mild recipe (in terms of being spicy). If you like spicy chili simply add more of the pepper listed or different types of hotter pepper varieties, whatever you like.

I have found that I don't need to use any flour to thicken my recipe as is often the case with other chili recipes. That is why I don't have any flour listed here. Similarly you'll notice that this ingredient list is pretty short. I don't subscribe to the notion that you need to have a huge list of ingredients to make a decent bowl of chili so this is my 'minimalist' interpretation.

You'll also notice that I use canned beans in my chili. That is wholly for the ease of preparation (read; I'm lazy!). You could go ahead and get the dry beans and go through all that extra work and I'm sure there would be some change in quality to the better. But I think the better quality would be miniscule enough to detect that the ease in preparation by using the canned beans trumps it.

Enjoy!

BMG

BMG's Chili:

2 Cans (15.5 oz) Light Red Kidney Beans
2 Cans (15.5 oz) Dark Red Kidney Beans
2 Cans (15.5 oz) Chili Beans
2 Cans (14.5 oz) Diced Stewed Tomatoes (I prefer the 'Italian Style')

Spices:
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt

Directions:
Combine above ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat then turn to low and simmer for 2 hours (though it will be ready to eat as soon as it has started to simmer if you're impatient but, as with most chili recipes, this one will be better the next day after the spices have had a chance to permeate the entire contents.), stirring occasionally.

- Optional ingredients -

2 lbs Lean Stew Meat - cut into small pieces, OR 2 pounds lean ground beef.
2 Cans (4.0 oz dry weight) OR 1 Can (8.0 oz dry weight) Mushrooms (pieces & Stems)
1 Medium Onion, diced
Shredded cheese of your choice

If using lean stew meat (beef from the store or maybe venison or something similar), cooking time is subject to the desired tenderness of the meat.  If less tender meat is desired, the chili will be done after having come to a slow boil for 20 minutes. You needn't pre-cook the stew meat in a separate skillet. Simply cut it into bite-sized pieces and add it directly to the pot.

If using the lean ground beef option, be sure to cook the ground beef thoroughly in a skillet and drain it thoroughly prior to adding it to the chili pot.

I really like mushrooms in my chili (be sure to use the canned variety because fresh ones will release too much moisture and leave you with watery chili) so that is why they are listed on my recipe as an option. If you've never thought to try that give it a try, you might like it.

Personally I REALLY like the stew meat option. Unfortunately I'm the only one in my household who does so that means I always end up using the ground beef. If you've never tried chili with stew meat, consider giving it a try sometime. It makes a huge difference in texture. Just be sure to cut the stew meat pieces into small bite-sized bits prior to cooking because stew meat can be tough and if you have a large 1.5"x1.5" piece of tough stew meat, well that can get pretty annoying!
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: BMG's Chili
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 03:02:35 PM »
Stooooop.  You're makin' me hongry.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 03:08:14 PM »
@Pandora:

Heheh...

;D
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 04:43:10 PM »
I'm using this tonight!       :)

Also baking cornbread.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 06:31:57 PM »
I'm using this tonight!       :)

Also baking cornbread.

Corn bread would be a must with this meal.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »
Hope it comes out alright LV!

Let me know what you'd change, etc. I'm always eager to hear what other people add or subtract from recipes and the techniques that they used as that information helps me refine my recipes and make them better!  :D
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 11:15:31 AM »
It was great.  Kids had seconds.

I added the onion.  I wanted to use mushrooms but one kid wouldn't eat it if I did.

I made as suggested except--I know this will strike some as weird-- I didn't use any meat.  I don't like meat in soups or stews.  As a kid I didn't like any of the ones my mom made because she always used beef or chicken broth as a base and then added the meat.  I thought I didn't like soups until I figured this out on my own. (I also hated spaghetti sauce as a kid--my mom always cooked the hamburger in it.  When I discovered meatless sauce as an adult I found I loved spaghetti).  Can't explain it but meat mixed with vegs taste weird to me. 

The spice combo seemed right to me. 

Will have the rest for lunch. Yum!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 12:09:55 PM »
Cool! Glad the family enjoyed it!  ::thumbsup::

- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 01:39:13 PM »
Oh yeah!  Load up on the optional items and spice it up and Shazzam, I'm digging it!   ::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.