Author Topic: BMG's Roasted Chicken  (Read 1884 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
BMG's Roasted Chicken
« on: October 13, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »
I developed this recipe in an attempt to create a chicken dish that would be similar to Frogmore Stew.

After having come up with this recipe I've come to like it just fine without the addition of the optional sausage listed in the recipe.

One of the HUGE benefits of this recipe is that the entire thing can be done in two dishes - and one of those dishes is used to boil corn and potatoes and is therefore easily washed.

A second very big benefit is that this is a very flexible recipe just like Frogmore stew. The recipe below is portioned for 2 people but it is easily expanded to include as many people as you have to feed - the only limitations being your roasting pan(s) size and oven availability. Simply divide the below-recipe in half then multiply by the number of people you have to feed (The only exception to this rule is the amount of chicken stock or water you add. Add only enough to cover the bottom of the roasting dish being used to a depth of about 1/8 inch.). This recipe is therefore, extremely good if you have a large group of people to feed (like say, a church event) and you have access to an industrial kitchen with large roasting ovens and deep sheet pans.

Enjoy!

BMG

BMG's Roasted Chicken

Ingredients:
6 red potatoes (medium to small - halve or quarter if medium, leave whole if small)
2 ears of corn (broken into halves)
2 chicken leg quarters (may substitute legs or thighs if preferred)
1/2 cup chicken stock or water
BMG's Poultry Seasoning

Optional:
Andouille sausage (or some other similar sausage such as Kielbasa) - about 4 or 5 inches per serving.  

Directions:
Place the two chicken leg quarters in a roasting pan (that has a lid) and season liberally (don't be shy, cover every inch of the chicken pieces) with BMG's Poultry Seasoning (recipe follows) on both sides.

Broil the chicken leg quarters for 5 minutes on one side (yes, I broil right in the uncovered roasting pan, I don't remove the chicken pieces to a separate broiling pan).

Remove the chicken from the broiler and turn the oven to 450 degrees.

Pour the 1/2 cup chicken stock or water into the bottom of the pan (not over the chicken pieces)

If using sausage add it now, do not season the sausage with BMG's Poultry Seasoning.

Cover the contents of the roasting pan with a tight-fitting lid and place in the 450 degree oven for 40 minutes (or until chicken is done).

Boil potatoes for 15 minutes (or until tender) and corn for 5 minutes (or until it reaches your desired doneness), drain, rinse and set aside.

Plate the chicken quarters, sausage (if used), corn and potatoes and lightly drizzle the corn and potatoes with some of the pan drippings. Sprinkle the potatoes and corn with BMG's Poultry Seasoning (by using the pan drippings and BMG's Poultry Seasoning on the corn and potatoes, no butter or salt should be used as is often popular on boiled potatoes and corn).

Serves two people.

BMG's Poultry Seasoning
I keep my supply of this seasoning in a cleaned out previously used dry Parmesan cheese shaker. The holes in the top are perfect for allowing the dried herbs to sprinkle out and it is a decent sized container for holding the amount of spices I use whenever I make this recipe for the family.

2 tablespoons Lowery's Seasoned Salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon powdered thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon Hot Shot Pepper mix (or substitute 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and 1/8 teaspoon red or cayenne pepper)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:07:52 PM by BMG »
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: BMG's Roasted Chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:08:35 PM »
I'm so gonna try that! Thanks BMG  ;)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:27:53 PM »
That sounds very good, and easy.  Thank you, too.

(Never thought of portioning sausage by the inch.  Makes sense, thus going sausage shopping now with a measuring tape.  ::laughonfloor::  )
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 03:13:45 PM »

...BMG's Poultry Seasoning
I keep my supply of this seasoning in a cleaned out previously used dry Parmesan cheese shaker. The holes in the top are perfect for allowing the dried herbs to sprinkle out and it is a decent sized container for holding the amount of spices I use whenever I make this recipe for the family.

2 tablespoons Lowery's Seasoned Salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon powdered thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon Hot Shot Pepper mix (or substitute 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and 1/8 teaspoon red or cayenne pepper)

My saliva glands just ejaculated...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 03:23:24 PM »
And I just snorted coffee.   ::rockethrow::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 03:23:49 PM »
Well, give it a try sometime Priest and let me know if the recipe that looks good on paper translates to being good on the table! Get back to us and let us know what you'd tweak to improve it, if anything.  ;D
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus