Author Topic: BMG's Wassail  (Read 1628 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
BMG's Wassail
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:15:20 PM »
We have this every year at Christmas - though anytime during the fall would be a great time to break out this recipe! I have seen Wassail recipes that are similar to this but that add bitters and/or rum so I have included those as options. However, whenever we make it we leave out the bitters and rum. Just like a strawberry daiquiri (imo anyway), the alcohol doesn't particularly add anything to the drink.

06 sticks cinnamon
16 whole cloves
01 tsp ground Allspice
12 oz frozen apple juice concentrate, diluted (6 cups)
02 cups cranberry juice
1/4 cup sugar
01 tsp bitters (optional)
1/4 cup rum (optional)

Directions:
Tie spices together in food-grade cloth bag (or you can put them in a coffee filter and staple it closed).  Combine juices, sugar and bitters.  Simmer together 10 minutes and remove spice bag.  Serve hot.  May add rum before serving.

This can be made for a large group in a 30-cup electric percolator with the spices placed in the basket.  Use the same amount of spices and multiply the rest of the recipe by four.

Makes about 8 servings.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: BMG's Wassail
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:39:25 PM »
Oh, looks like I'll be trying this one too.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:49:34 PM »
Yeah, our family REALLY likes this. It's essentially hot spiced apple cider, but with some nice extra flavor profiles. VERY good stuff.  ;D
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:04:42 PM »
Yeah, our family REALLY likes this. It's essentially hot spiced apple cider, but with some nice extra flavor profiles. VERY good stuff.  ;D

I think my kids will like this.  We don't usually have juice in the house so they'll think this is really special.  :)

Pretty sure I'll earn mom points with this. :)  (even without the rum...hehehe)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 09:15:01 PM »
Nice!  ::whoohoo::
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus