Author Topic: ENGLISH !!  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
ENGLISH !!
« on: October 14, 2011, 05:54:25 AM »
I am totally stoked and writing this down on my calendar.

I just saw a commercial on cable t.v. in ENGLISH here in Phoenix, AZ !

WooHoo!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: ENGLISH !!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 06:36:39 AM »
Heh, don't get too carried away, I'm sure someone will get a memo about that slip up...

:P
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:57:22 PM »
The closest WalMart to me has a grocery department and a lot of the packaging in is spanish.  What? Like you need the word "ketchup" in spanish on the bottle to know what it is??

ggrrrrr

We're going to be dual language whether we want to or not....
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 04:12:39 AM »
The closest WalMart to me has a grocery department and a lot of the packaging in is spanish.  What? Like you need the word "ketchup" in spanish on the bottle to know what it is??

ggrrrrr

Excuse me while I go to Walmart for a quart of "El Whito Milko" !

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »

ggrrrrr

Excuse me while I go to Walmart for a quart of "El Whito Milko" !

::laughonfloor::

And here I thought spanish would be hard to learn......
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 11:01:46 AM »

ggrrrrr

Same here.  NAFTA, babee.

We had a new bed delivered on Monday and the two young men who delivered spoke standard English with no accent unless they were talking to each other -- Spanish.  Sons of immigrants, legal or illegal, I figure.

I did bark at them, I'm afraid, to speak English even when speaking with each other.  I don't understand Spanish -- okay, I know pendejo -- and I don't want people jabbering in it while in my house.  It's rude.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 02:19:46 PM »
OK story time.

Years ago I was selling a a beater car. I put a For Sale sign on it and parked it on a very bust street. Several looked at it - most walked away (it truly was a junker). Soon enough a couple of mexicans came around and checked it out. They gave the engine compartment a cursory look (I had scrubbed everything, but didn't detailed it such that it would look staged). Then they wanted to test drive it, but acted funny when I insisted on going with them (let two obvious illegals drive off in my car - are you kidding?!).

They actually left....and then came back and acceded to my requirement. They drove it around for a couple of miles and then started chattering to one another in spanish. "Hey!" I shouted from the back seat. "Speak English!" They went quiet.

When we returned to where I was spotting the car (not my residence), they inquired about the price. "It's right there on the For Sale sign" I replied. "No, how much is your lowest price?" the spokesman asked. "It's right there on the For Sale sign" I replied. They shot confused glances back and forth between them. Then they started chattering again. I stopped them and said, "Listen, this is America. In America we speak English. If you want to buy my car then do it in English!"

They looked at one another and silently walked away.

A half-hour later they came back and peeled off one greasy bill after another until they handed over the full asking price.

Pendejo eh? How about Vaya con dios muchachos - thanks for the cash  ;D