Author Topic: A Record-Setting Decade of Immigration: 2000-2010  (Read 2470 times)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
A Record-Setting Decade of Immigration: 2000-2010
« on: October 07, 2011, 10:16:40 AM »
Thursday, 06 October 2011 18:28 Steven A. Camarota

"New data from the Census Bureau show that the nation’s immigrant population (legal and illegal), also referred to as the foreign-born, reached 40 million in 2010, the highest number in American history. Nearly 14 million new immigrants (legal and illegal) settled in the country from 2000 to 2010, making it the highest decade of immigration in American history. This is the case even though there was a net decline of jobs during the decade. In contrast, from 1990 to 2000 job growth was 22 million and 13.2 million new immigrants arrived. Immigrants come for many reasons, such as a desire to join relatives or to access public services. As a result, immigration remains high even during a prolonged period of economic weakness.

Among the findings:

The nation’s immigrant population (legal and illegal) reached 40 million in 2010, the highest number in the nation’s history.

The nation’s immigrant population has doubled since 1990, nearly tripled since 1980, and quadrupled since 1970, when it stood at 9.7 million.

Of the 40 million immigrants in the country in 2010, 13.9 million arrived in 2000 or later making it the highest decade of immigration in American history, even though there was a net loss of jobs during the decade.

New arrivals are offset by out-migration and deaths. As a result, the net increase in the immigrant population was more than 8.8 million over the last decade, from 31.1 million in 2000.

While the number of immigrants in the country is higher than at any time in American history, the immigrant share of the population (12.9 percent) was higher 90 years ago.

Growth in the immigrant population has primarily been driven by high levels of legal immigration. Roughly three-fourths of immigrants in the country are here legally.

Immigrants continue to head to non-traditional states of settlement. The six states with the largest immigrant populations accounted for 65 percent of the total in 2010, 68 percent in 2000, and 73 percent in 1990.

Overall the immigrant population grew 28 percent between 2000 and 2010. But it grew at more than twice the national rate in: Alabama (92 percent), South Carolina (88 percent), Tennessee (82 percent), Arkansas (79 percent), Kentucky (75 percent), North Carolina (67 percent), South Dakota (65 percent), Georgia (63 percent), Indiana (61 percent), Nevada (61 percent), Delaware (60 percent), Virginia (60 percent), and Oklahoma (57 percent).

Since 1990 the immigrant population has doubled. It grew at more than twice the national rate in: North Carolina (525 percent), Georgia (445 percent), Arkansas (430 percent), Tennessee (389 percent), Nevada (385 percent), South Carolina (337 percent), Kentucky (312 percent), Nebraska (298 percent), Alabama (287 percent), Utah (280 percent), Colorado (249 percent), Minnesota (235 percent), Delaware (223 percent), Iowa (222 percent), Indiana (219 percent), Oklahoma (215 percent), and Arizona (208 percent).

States with the largest numerical increases over the last decade were: California, Texas, Florida, New York, New Jersey, Georgia, Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, Washington, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts.

Latin America continued to dominate immigration. Countries from this region accounted for 58 percent of the growth in the immigrant population from 2000 to 2010.

With nearly 12 million immigrants, Mexico was by far the top immigrant-sending country, accounting for 29 percent of all immigrants and 29 percent of growth in the immigrant population from 2000 to 2010.

Other countries have also seen significant growth in their populations. In 1990 there was only one sending-country with more than one million immigrants in the United States, by 2000 there were four such countries, and in 2010 there were eight.

The median age of immigrants in 2010 was 41.4 compared to 35.9 for natives."

DOWNLOAD FULL REPORT

Visit Center for Immigration Studies

http://www.rightsidenews.com/2011100614660/us/homeland-security/a-record-setting-decade-of-immigration-2000-2010.html?

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: A Record-Setting Decade of Immigration: 2000-2010
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 11:00:01 PM »
So can we fit the rest of world here too?

/

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »
So can we fit the rest of world here too?

/

Probably.  Not comfortably, however.  But, they're trying.

This is bad for us.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 10:30:47 AM »
I wonder if they factored in those illegals who self-emigrated (thank you Jan Brewer!)?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »
Third World immigrants bring the Third World with them. Particularly given the massive numbers over such short time frames, it's an inescapable reality. Already many cities and even regions have begun to resemble the slums of Tijuana.

The nature of immigration has also changed. Many of the early generations of immigrants to this country (or the colonies) came for freedom and opportunity. If they wanted economic security they would have likely been better off to stay where they were, because the job of carving a civilization out of hostile wilderness was not an easy one. But they wanted something deeper than that, and that is what makes the foundation of a nation. Recent immigrants and border-jumpers, while there are still some motivated by the pursuit of freedom, are more likely to be motivated by a desire to enjoy the spoils and largesse of a successful civilization that has entered (terminal?) decline and decadence. In other words, their motivation for immigration is little different from the cockroaches and ants that "immigrate" into your kitchen if you leave food laying out for them.

All of this is guaranteeing the destruction of the USA. This country will become just another part of the Third World, and that is exactly the desire of people like Obama.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 10:32:12 AM »
Employing the balloon theory, if one end is squeezed and loads up the other, time to squeeze it back, eh?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 11:51:03 AM »

If it were only bread crumbs for them.  We are filleting hogs on the drainboard.
We need to put that fat in the freezer and clean up the crumbs.
Those cockroaches will leave.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »
Third World immigrants bring the Third World with them. Particularly given the massive numbers over such short time frames, it's an inescapable reality. Already many cities and even regions have begun to resemble the slums of Tijuana.

The nature of immigration has also changed. Many of the early generations of immigrants to this country (or the colonies) came for freedom and opportunity. If they wanted economic security they would have likely been better off to stay where they were, because the job of carving a civilization out of hostile wilderness was not an easy one. But they wanted something deeper than that, and that is what makes the foundation of a nation. Recent immigrants and border-jumpers, while there are still some motivated by the pursuit of freedom, are more likely to be motivated by a desire to enjoy the spoils and largesse of a successful civilization that has entered (terminal?) decline and decadence. In other words, their motivation for immigration is little different from the cockroaches and ants that "immigrate" into your kitchen if you leave food laying out for them.

All of this is guaranteeing the destruction of the USA. This country will become just another part of the Third World, and that is exactly the desire of people like Obama.

Well said.  I think that is the difference. 

My daughter has taken up genealogy as a hobby recently.  And with a few weeks she discovered ancestors who came here decades before the Revolutionary War--as far as we can tell they didn't come with any documented wave of immigrants from their countries. I don't think sometimes we really understand the choice those early immigrants made.  I mean the promise that America held for those people so outweighed anything they already had. That's  mind-blowing. I try to imagine making a decision like that today (with all the access to information) and it's difficult to imagine--how much more so 100-200-300 years ago.

(We've found out some of those early immigrants served in the Revolutionary War so every time I see the IAB banner above I think of them.  I owe my father and uncles who served in WWII all the way back to my great many-times-over grandfathers who served in the Revolutionary War and all those in between and I intend on passing that legacy to my kids.  I'm not going to let anyone take it from me or them.)

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 12:11:20 AM »
I don't think sometimes we really understand the choice those early immigrants made.  I mean the promise that America held for those people so outweighed anything they already had. That's  mind-blowing. I try to imagine making a decision like that today (with all the access to information) and it's difficult to imagine--how much more so 100-200-300 years ago.

Today we can hop on an airplane and travel to another continent with little more thought and expense than it would take to hop in the car and drive to the supermarket.

Considering the difficulty and hardship of long-distance travel in those days, along with the slowness of communications, the nearest parallel today would be the decision to leave the Earth and colonize Mars.

So far we lack the necessary sailing ships and Conestoga wagons.  But some people are working on it.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt