Author Topic: Firearm Of Choice If Society Crumbles?  (Read 9498 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Firearm Of Choice If Society Crumbles?
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »
Roger that.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 10:35:41 PM »

I think I saw that in one of my kids' video games.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 08:20:43 AM »
I'd stay away from automatics and go with lever action rifles , pump action shotguns and revolvers .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 12:57:02 PM »
I think there is a good case to be made for simplicity and durability.  I like everything I have, whether a wheel-gun, semi-auto, pump or lever-action.  They all have a useful purpose.  BMG makes a good point at the start of this thread about the popular rounds...one would expect them to be more easily obtainable.  If you don't load your own (something I will be getting into later this winter) having something that shoots popular rounds makes sense.  If in a SHTF environment and I am out of less popular rounds, I may have an expensive club on my hands, but I'll pump every last round out of it before that point is reached and still have other stuff to rely on.

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 10:10:23 AM »
A .22 is indispensable for all of the reasons already given, and no collection should be without one. I have a Marlin Model 60, a Mossberg Plinkster, and a Browning Camp pistol. You can get low-noise subsonic rounds, and out of a rifle they make very little sound. There's also rounds that have no powder charge, the bullet is propelled solely by the primer. Out of a pistol they sound like a loud snap of the fingers, and out of my rifle they have essentially no sound at all. The .22 is a very versatile round.

Despite the fact that it fights above its weight class, it's still a low power round. I think a .30 caliber rifle (.308, .30-06, similar foreign calibers) is still the quintessential go-to weapon for an individual facing uncertain potential challenges.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 06:21:29 PM »
The Win .22 rifle (love that subsonic round!) and the Marlin 336 got that covered.

;)

In a SHTF scenario though, I think action will be closer in than not, so a trusty 12 gauge & competent handgun proficiency is a necessity I think.

In general I am of the "there is no thing such as too much" camp when it comes to ammo & guns...the only caveat I would make is be sure you have a comfort level with everything you shoot and if you keep your stuff clean and in good working order it will be good to you!

::thumbsup::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 05:55:16 PM »

Yeah, and his best friend is an orthopaedic.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 08:08:50 PM »
Holy smokes. That thing should be mounted on a turret. Nobody's shoulder is designed to absorb that.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2012, 11:41:49 AM »
Yeah, and if I'm gonna mount something, why not go top shelf?

Deadliest weapons ever invented- Metal Storm

;D

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »
As fun as the "choose just one" question is, the right answer is multiple weapons.  I have a hacksaw for metal, a table saw for large flat stock, a skill saw for cutting 2X4 and quick work, a Miter saw for doing angles and belvel cuts, a jigsaw for cutting curves and holes, a saws-all for those god forsaken obs the other saws won't work on  etc etc.

These are all Saws. Why would anyone need so many saws?  Because they do different jobs.

I agree if you are going to own one and only one firearm, you want a .22, its the skillsaw of the bunch. However, you will not get the precision cuts, nor the fancy curves available with other choices.  I would hate to hunt foul with a 22. You need a long barrel shotgun. I would hate to use the .22 wandering around the house with a potential intruder- for that I want a pistol or a short barrel shotgun.  For Deer and elk you want/need a high powered rifle. So on and so forth. Pick the right tool for the job. If you have multiple jobs you will and should buy multiple tools.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2012, 12:03:18 PM »

!
You betcha.  Gotta love it, Americana.  Brands of such quality and invention
that the whole of that style of tool is know by that brand name.

Along with that Skill saw one should also have a pair of Channellock's and
some Vice Grips.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2012, 08:14:44 PM »
And if anyone is pricing ammo, one can purchase a 440 rd can of 7.62X54R ammo for $89. A 640 rd can of 7.62X39 can be had for about $125. Lots of shooting to be had for that price.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 10:54:44 PM »
And if anyone is pricing ammo, one can purchase a 440 rd can of 7.62X54R ammo for $89. A 640 rd can of 7.62X39 can be had for about $125. Lots of shooting to be had for that price.

I have advocated the Mosin-Nagant rifle and 7.62x54R cartridge here on more than one occasion.  It certainly doesn't offer the firepower of the more "sexy" options like ARs and AKs, but it is an inexpensive, simple, reliable rifle that fires a potent round.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 02:37:52 PM »
Print this:

A Working Assault Rifle Made With a 3-D Printer

Link
While there are still some details to sort out, it's pretty clear that making weapons at home using 3-D printers from commonly available materials is going to become much more commonplace in the near future. In fact, as 3-D printing technology matures, materials feedstock improves, and designs for weapons proliferate, we might soon see the day when nearly everyone will be able to print the weapons of their choice in the numbers they desire, all within the privacy of their own homes

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 09:26:05 PM »
Replicator tech, Star Trek via Skunk Works.   ::thumbsup::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 09:35:38 PM »

How many can you make?

As many as you have ABS feedstock for.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 11:59:04 PM »

:'(

3-D printed gun project derailed by legal woes

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/futureoftech/3-d-printed-gun-project-derailed-legal-woes-6213570

After raising thousands of dollars to develop a free, 3-D-printable handgun, a group calling itself Defense Distributed has had to put its plans on hold, after the company providing their printing hardware refused to do business with them. It’s an early episode in what is likely to be a long controversy.

Defense Distributed is a loosely organized group that intends to explore the possibility of creating weapons entirely using 3-D printed parts — and providing the files to do so freely online. They are unrelated to another recent project that partially built an assault rifle that way, but the concept is similar.

The group originally tried to raise money to develop the Wiki Weapon, as they call it, on the crowd-funding website IndieGoGo. The site pulled the plug, however, before the $20,000 the group was hoping to collect was pledged. Undeterred, Defense Distributed solicited donations in the Bitcoin virtual currency, and soon achieved their funding goal.

With the money, they leased a powerful 3-D printer from a company called Stratasys. But before they even had a chance to take the device out of its box, Stratasys caught wind of what its hardware was going to be used for and canceled the contract, sending someone to pick up the printer immediately.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2012, 07:03:36 AM »
Hmm, StrataSys is a local company here in Eden Prairie, a Crump led outfit.

http://www.stratasys.com/Corporate/About-Stratasys/Board-Members.aspx

But their insider ownership percentage is low and they are mostly held by institutional investors.  Look to be fairly aggressive in acquisitions too.

http://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=SSYS

They can tell the BATFE to pound sand, man I loath bureaucratic busybodies!   ::mooning::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2012, 12:35:46 PM »

They are afraid the Bureau of Wrecking Your Life will subpoena them.