Author Topic: Regulation and rent-seeking collude to eliminate inexpensive drug  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Another example of how government regulatory frameworks are exploited by rent-seeking corporations to feather the nests of both. Colchicine, a compound that has been around since pre-history for the treatment of gout and other inflammatory conditions, was recently submitted by URL Pharma in a new FDA program that seeks to put existing drugs that predate the existence of the FDA through the same process new drugs go through in order to receive FDA approval. In exchange for the expense of trials, the company is granted exclusive rights to distribute the once-ubiquitous medicine. As a result, what once cost 10 cents per pill now costs insurance companies over $200 for a bottle, and patients over $50.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/10/eveningnews/main20118283.shtml

"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Regulation and rent-seeking collude to eliminate inexpensive drug
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 03:15:49 PM »
How many times and in how many ways must it be said before something is done? This is an outrage to all that is decent against common sense and liberty. These federal regulatory agencies must be destroyed.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »
God damn these people!  Inhalers was bad enough, now this.

And I just found out Dad uses an inhaler for his COPD.  Thank you Medicare for paying, but for how long?!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:22:01 PM »

Tell that spendthrift in the WH to stop and maybe there will be some money left for essentials.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:31:03 PM »

Tell that spendthrift in the WH to stop and maybe there will be some money left for essentials.

Oh?  Ok, Charles, no prob; I'll just march up there and tell 'im and then all manner of things will be well.  You be in charge of organizing the other 200 million or so Americans to back me up.  Deal?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 08:42:51 AM »
Legalize international drug sales.  Problem solved.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:20:56 AM »

Oh?  Ok, Charles, no prob; I'll just march up there and tell 'im and then all manner of things will be well.  You be in charge of organizing the other 200 million or so Americans to back me up.  Deal?

Not a problem, nobody's going to get in front of you.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 12:51:30 PM »

Not a problem, nobody's going to get in front of you.

Lol.  Newp, doesn't look like it, does it?

Legalize international drug sales.  Problem solved.

I don't think so, Hawk.  The issue with the inhalers is due to the EPA's objection to the propellant, if you remember, as contributing to glowball warmink/air pollution or some such crap.

Colchicine, a compound that has been around since pre-history for the treatment of gout and other inflammatory conditions, was recently submitted by URL Pharma in a new FDA program that seeks to put existing drugs that predate the existence of the FDA through the same process new drugs go through in order to receive FDA approval. In exchange for the expense of trials, the company is granted exclusive rights to distribute the once-ubiquitous medicine.

I'm trying to remember if this nonsense of testing older drugs came by way of the UN's Codex Alimentarius or was initiated solely by the FDA, but I recall reading, in addition to the above, that if an existing drug is changed in any way, no matter how minor, every ingredient must be submitted for re-testing and licensing by the FDA.

Get this, from URL's press release:

"For 2000 years, people have been getting sick and dying from colchicine unnecessarily. But this wasn't known until URL Pharma conducted its ground-breaking research that dramatically reduced adverse reactions,identified many critically important drug-drug interactions, and showed how to minimize the risks of these adverse reactions."

Yah, okay; I'm not even going to ask how they know that .......