Author Topic: Some Legislative Action Concerning The Post Office  (Read 803 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Some Legislative Action Concerning The Post Office
« on: October 15, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »
Just in case this hasn't been on your radar lately...here's what's been happening:

http://www.wsbradio.com/weblogs/jamie-dupree/2011/oct/13/postal-reform-advances/
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Some Legislative Action Concerning The Post Office
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 07:09:25 PM »
Enables Postal Service to Pursue New Revenue: even though the Postal Service is supposed to act like a private business, it can't make money from selling advertisements. The Issa-Ross Postal Reform Act allows USPS to sell advertising space on vehicles and facilities, as long as the ads respect the Postal Service's integrity.

Why does this make me laugh?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 07:34:36 PM »
@LadyVirginia:

"Why does this make me laugh?"

Probably because it sounds like a joke! Come on, is advertising really going to make up the billions in budgetary shortfalls concerning the Post Office? I really have my doubts that it'd even make a dent.  The problem is all the union-negotiated benefits that have been given to the workers. That's what needs to be targeted and excised. I guess I can see why they threw in the whole advertising thing though. Because if they overtly went right for the real root of the problem they'd be demonized from here till 2012 about throwing the elderly, disabled Postal Workers under the bus and shoving them over the cliff to follow grandma in her wheel chair to their doom. Personally though I'd love to see them simply speak the truth of the matter, and the democrats be dammed!  But I can see where this might be some political 'strategy' I guess.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:39:04 PM by BMG »
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:02:50 PM »
It's not solely the cost of the union/benefits.  I have it on good authority *winkwink* that megabucks went to AT&T/Verizon for the purposes of experimenting with the latest communication technology i.e. intra-office, including video.  Contracts included dedicated telecom personnel within those companies -- that doesn't come cheaply -- comprising whole shops.

USPS has been spending money like, well, it wasn't theirs.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 08:34:59 PM »
It's not solely the cost of the union/benefits.  I have it on good authority *winkwink* that megabucks went to AT&T/Verizon for the purposes of experimenting with the latest communication technology i.e. intra-office, including video.  Contracts included dedicated telecom personnel within those companies -- that doesn't come cheaply -- comprising whole shops.

USPS has been spending money like, well, it wasn't theirs.

..and packages still come to my house like someone stomped on them first
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 08:47:11 PM »
  They got away with murder for years and now the time has come to pay the piper. Those clowns have been allowed to actually pile up sick and vacation dayd from day one so they can use them all at once before they retire. My sister was married to one and he would tell stories of people retiring 5/7 years early at full pay and insurance for them and the wives till they died.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »
BTW, stamps going up to .45 in January ..........
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 07:42:30 PM »
@LadyVirginia:

"Why does this make me laugh?"

Probably because it sounds like a joke! Come on, is advertising really going to make up the billions in budgetary shortfalls concerning the Post Office? I really have my doubts that it'd even make a dent.  The problem is all the union-negotiated benefits that have been given to the workers. That's what needs to be targeted and excised. I guess I can see why they threw in the whole advertising thing though. Because if they overtly went right for the real root of the problem they'd be demonized from here till 2012 about throwing the elderly, disabled Postal Workers under the bus and shoving them over the cliff to follow grandma in her wheel chair to their doom. Personally though I'd love to see them simply speak the truth of the matter, and the democrats be dammed!  But I can see where this might be some political 'strategy' I guess.

I also don't know if I find it ironic or refreshing the post office would even CONSIDER such a capitalistic approach. ::hysterical::

Protest Post Office.....I can see the protestors today.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:30:47 PM »
I'm enjoying not buying postage...I'm using stamps I've hoarded for the past 40 years...not worth much more that a penny over face on a lot of 'em so I enjoy slapping 'em on stuff and keeping my money in my pocket.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.