Author Topic: BMG's Beef Jerky  (Read 1219 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
BMG's Beef Jerky
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:04:59 PM »
For each pound of meat add the following to the brine:

1 Cup Water
1/2 Tablespoon Rock Salt (or Kosher salt)
1/4 Teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder

Use London broil thin sliced (between 1/8 and 1/4 inch) at the butcher's stand.  Combine all the above-mentioned ingredients to form a brine then soak the meat for 5-10 hours (or overnight) before placing in the dehydrator.

Follow the directions on the dehydrator and desiccate the jerky to your desired dryness.

I usually buy 2 London broils at a time because my market has buy on get one sales regularly. Just take the meat to the butcher before you pay and ask them to drop it in the slicer. They'll do it for free, re-wrap it and send you on your way.

After I make my jerky I always stash it in an air-tight container and store it in the freezer. I do this because I don't like my jerky completely mummified so it will go bad after a couple days if not at least stored in the fridge.

Note: If you like pepper you may sprinkle coarse-ground black pepper over each piece of meat when they are first placed in the  dehydrator.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:52:02 PM by BMG »
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus