Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
TSP
« on: February 20, 2011, 03:38:18 PM »
TSP
Post by johnflorida on Jan 26, 2011, 7:41pm

I started using it in the dishwasher a couple of nights ago and again tonight. It does make a difference the inside of the coffee cups are less stained and the plastic storage containers aren't greasy feeling any more. I hated those things I always ended up washing them by hand the next morning.

I think I'll try Borax in the laundry I saw while looking around last night that it can be used in place of color safe bleach along as a booster for regular laundry soap.

I don't know what else to try.Re: TSP
Post by sectionhand on Jan 26, 2011, 7:44pm

Jan 26, 2011, 7:41pm, johnflorida wrote:
I started using it in the dishwasher a couple of nights ago and again tonight. It does make a difference the inside of the coffee cups are less stained and the plastic storage containers aren't greasy feeling any more. I hated those things I always ended up washing them by hand the next morning.

I think I'll try Borax in the laundry I saw while looking around last night that it can be used in place of color safe bleach along as a booster for regular laundry soap.

I don't know what else to try.

Just don't do what I did one day about 25 years ago . I put liquid dish soap in the damned thing and in a couple of minutes it looked like Ensign Pulver had set off his bomb in the laundry .

The kids loved it ! My wife didn't . Re: TSP
Post by johnflorida on Jan 26, 2011, 8:01pm

Jan 26, 2011, 7:44pm, sectionhand wrote:

Jan 26, 2011, 7:41pm, johnflorida wrote:

I don't know what else to try.

Just don't do what I did one day about 25 years ago . I put liquid dish soap in the damned thing and in a couple of minutes it looked like Ensign Pulver had set off his bomb in the laundry .

The kids loved it ! My wife didn't .

I won't.Re: TSP
Post by irondiopriest on Jan 26, 2011, 8:11pm

I started mixing TSP in with Cascade about a month or so ago, and notice a remarkable improvement in how clean the dishes are getting. I'm premixing in a rubbermaid container so we don't have to add powder from two separate containers every time we do the dishes. It's working like a charm.Re: TSP
Post by Pandora on Jan 26, 2011, 8:15pm

I just dump a line of it on the bottom of the dishwasher, and toss some regular detergent in the cup. Working from two containers doesn't bother me. I will tell you that any aluminum - pie plates and such - will come out somewhat blackened with the addition of the TSP.

JF, Borax does not work like colorsafe bleach, but it helps with odiferous garments, sheets and towels.Re: TSP
Post by johnflorida on Jan 26, 2011, 10:32pm

Jan 26, 2011, 8:15pm, Pandora wrote:
I just dump a line of it on the bottom of the dishwasher, and toss some regular detergent in the cup. Working from two containers doesn't bother me. I will tell you that any aluminum - pie plates and such - will come out somewhat blackened with the addition of the TSP.

JF, Borax does not work like colorsafe bleach, but it helps with odiferous garments, sheets and towels.

Check this out:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf955132.tip.htmlRe: TSP
Post by Pandora on Jan 26, 2011, 10:37pm

Jan 26, 2011, 10:32pm, johnflorida wrote:

Jan 26, 2011, 8:15pm, Pandora wrote:

JF, Borax does not work like colorsafe bleach, but it helps with odiferous garments, sheets and towels.

Check this out:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf955132.tip.html

Whatever.

I've been using Borax in the wash for years now and I'm telling you it's not a stand-in for bleach in my experience.

Try it; see what you think. It sure won't hurt anything.Re: TSP
Post by johnflorida on Jan 26, 2011, 10:43pm

Jan 26, 2011, 8:11pm, irondiopriest wrote:
I started mixing TSP in with Cascade about a month or so ago, and notice a remarkable improvement in how clean the dishes are getting. I'm premixing in a rubbermaid container so we don't have to add powder from two separate containers every time we do the dishes. It's working like a charm.

I know we talked about it but I don't remember the ratios needed.Re: TSP
Post by johnflorida on Jan 26, 2011, 10:44pm

Jan 26, 2011, 10:37pm, Pandora wrote:

Jan 26, 2011, 10:32pm, johnflorida wrote:

Check this out:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf955132.tip.html

Whatever.

I've been using Borax in the wash for years now and I'm telling you it's not a stand-in for bleach in my experience.

Try it; see what you think. It sure won't hurt anything.

I have never used it at all over the years but now something need help and I can't find Phosphates to buy and add.Re: TSP
Post by Pandora on Jan 26, 2011, 11:00pm

Phosphates to add to the laundry? You can find the TSP? No reason why you can't put that in the washwater as well.Re: TSP
Post by johnflorida on Jan 26, 2011, 11:09pm

Jan 26, 2011, 11:00pm, Pandora wrote:
Phosphates to add to the laundry? You can find the TSP? No reason why you can't put that in the washwater as well.

How much I didn't see anything on the box?Re: TSP
Post by irondiopriest on Jan 26, 2011, 11:11pm

Jan 26, 2011, 10:43pm, johnflorida wrote:

Jan 26, 2011, 8:11pm, irondiopriest wrote:
I started mixing TSP in with Cascade about a month or so ago, and notice a remarkable improvement in how clean the dishes are getting. I'm premixing in a rubbermaid container so we don't have to add powder from two separate containers every time we do the dishes. It's working like a charm.

I know we talked about it but I don't remember the ratios needed.

Then online consensus seems to be somewhere in the 7% to 9% range.Re: TSP
Post by michelleo on Jan 26, 2011, 11:31pm

Can't seem to find TSP around here, but then I sent my husband off (with his man eyes) to find it. Means I'll probably have to go foraging for it myself first before I give up.

I did find a generic Kroger Value brand of dish detergent left on the shelf that has phosphate in it. Only 2% though. We'll see how that does. If it cleans the coffee mugs, I'm buying every single box left off the shelf.

The cashier asked me how I liked that brand. I told him the only reason I'm trying it is because all the others are now phosphate free and no longer work. Then I went on quite a rant for the entire checkout line to hear about why do I even have a dishwasher when it doesn't actually wash dishes, and about how soon we'll all be beating our clothes on rocks to get them clean, the evils of big government, etc.

Somehow I've stopped caring about what people think of me anymore.Re: TSP
Post by Pandora on Jan 26, 2011, 11:34pm

Jan 26, 2011, 11:09pm, johnflorida wrote:

Jan 26, 2011, 11:00pm, Pandora wrote:
Phosphates to add to the laundry? You can find the TSP? No reason why you can't put that in the washwater as well.

How much I didn't see anything on the box?

What we're considering here is known as "off label use", lol.

The directions on the box call for "one cup of TSP to one gallon of warm water for normal cleaning jobs and removal of mold and mildew from exterior surfaces". I'd go with a half-cup, on a load of light-colored clothes and see.

Re: TSP
Post by Pandora on Jan 26, 2011, 11:38pm

Jan 26, 2011, 11:31pm, michelleo wrote:
Can't seem to find TSP around here, but then I sent my husband off (with his man eyes) to find it. Means I'll probably have to go foraging for it myself first before I give up.

I did find a generic Kroger Value brand of dish detergent left on the shelf that has phosphate in it. Only 2% though. We'll see how that does. If it cleans the coffee mugs, I'm buying every single box left off the shelf.

The cashier asked me how I liked that brand. I told him the only reason I'm trying it is because all the others are now phosphate free and no longer work. Then I went on quite a rant for the entire checkout line to hear about why do I even have a dishwasher when it doesn't actually wash dishes, and about how soon we'll all be beating our clothes on rocks to get them clean, the evils of big government, etc.

Somehow I've stopped caring about what people think of me anymore.

OMG, LOLOLOL!

We must have a mutual, cantankerous-minded ancestor somewhere.

You should be able to find it in Lowe's or Home Depot. It comes in a white, milk-container type, pint container with a red front, made by DAP.Re: TSP
Post by johnflorida on Jan 26, 2011, 11:57pm

Jan 26, 2011, 11:38pm, Pandora wrote:

Jan 26, 2011, 11:31pm, michelleo wrote:

Somehow I've stopped caring about what people think of me anymore.

OMG, LOLOLOL!

We must have a mutual, cantankerous-minded ancestor somewhere.

You should be able to find it in Lowe's or Home Depot. It comes in a white, milk-container type, pint container with a red front, made by DAP.

In the paint isle.It's not in the cleaning suppliesRe: TSP
Post by glock32 on Jan 27, 2011, 12:06am

Yep. They usually put it near the rollers and pans, stuff like that. One of its main uses is neutralizing lead dust, so I guess that's why they still keep it in the paint aisle.Re: TSP
Post by charlesoakwood on Jan 27, 2011, 12:43am

DAP, long time brand friend, good contact cement also.Re: TSP
Post by michelleo on Jan 27, 2011, 12:34pm

Thanks for the tip! Wouldn't have thought of the paint isle.Re: TSP
Post by johnflorida on Jan 28, 2011, 7:34pm

I got my hands on an old Cascade jug and it claims they use only up to 4% phosphates.Thought I would pass it along.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:41:16 PM »
I FOUND IT!!
Post by johnflorida on Feb 2, 2011, 1:34pm

Yesterday we were discussing laundry detergent and the lack of phophates. I mentioned that I had seen a couple of brand names of detergent made in Mexico that still was to have phosphates in it.

I went to a local Hispanic store and found that a brand called "FOCA" has indeed phosphates in it. I just bought it.Re: I FOUND IT!!
Post by Pandora on Feb 2, 2011, 1:44pm

Good! We have a store like that near us; I'll see if they carry the stuff.

Re: I FOUND IT!!
Post by johnflorida on Feb 2, 2011, 2:15pm

Feb 2, 2011, 1:44pm, Pandora wrote:
Good! We have a store like that near us; I'll see if they carry the stuff.

I have seen it on line also.Re: I FOUND IT!!
Post by nolan on Feb 2, 2011, 8:25pm

DO the ethnic stores get some sort of exemption from the ban?
I guess only American "pollution" matters.Re: I FOUND IT!!
Post by pablodefleurs on Feb 2, 2011, 8:35pm

Feb 2, 2011, 8:25pm, nolan wrote:
DO the ethnic stores get some sort of exemption from the ban............................................................?

Uhm...I was gonna' say...that, er......maybe.....they....uhh.....could....*

(it's just that....it's a dusty road)Re: I FOUND IT!!
Post by nolan on Feb 2, 2011, 9:13pm

Que?Re: I FOUND IT!!
Post by pablodefleurs on Feb 2, 2011, 10:14pm

Feb 2, 2011, 9:13pm, nolan wrote:
Que?

Some folks need phosphates more than others.Re: I FOUND IT!!
Post by johnflorida on Feb 2, 2011, 10:32pm

I guess only American "pollution" matters.

I believe the product is made by Proctor and Gamble in Mexico for Mexico and the export it here. Remember only 16 states banned Phosphates but the manufactures jumped the gun and just did it for everybody(how nice).

I picked up on this stuff and went to a local ethnic store and started looking around and there it was on the label PHOSPHATE and that was that. I only need it for the tough stuff like oil grease and so on most of my clothes don't get that bad. And bed sheets lately with all the talk about bed bugs it's got me freaked out.

And shop towels but we won't tell the wife about them in her washing mchine.Re: I FOUND IT!!
Post by nolan on Feb 2, 2011, 11:03pm

Gotcha' now, PDF. And I can't disagree!

And the bed bug thing has me a little skeeved out, too, JF. Any pestilence is just unacceptable in the 1st world, I think. We have a lice epidemic going 'round our town somehow. So far the kids have avoided it though.

sh*t, I should have knocked on wood!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

hemm

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:11:31 PM »
Fond this at FoxNews:
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/18/dishing-woes-dont-wash-away/?test=latestnews

Since July, people have been wondering why their dishes are not as clean.

“I thought I needed a new dishwasher,” said Florida resident Gloria Share. “My dishes were very very filmy. I couldn’t even use them. I had to do it over by hand.”

Share wasn’t the only one. Frank Switalski of Perla’s Appliance Plus said they were getting a lot of complaints.“We were getting a lot of service calls because people were seeing film on their dishes,” said Switalski.

Now, over 7 months later, people are becoming more aware of what the problem is, and it isn’t because of their dishwashers. After studies showed that one of the key ingredients in dishwasher detergent, phosphate, was leaking into rivers and reservoirs, decreasing oxygen for fish and plants, environmentalists took a strong stand to ban the compound from detergent.

Forced to respond to a law that passed in July for 16 states, companies like Proctor and Gamble (Cascade) went back to the drawing board to create a working product that was phosphate-free.

Consumers have spent the past few months trying every trick in the book to get their dishes back to their original shine, with some tactics causing more grief than gain.

“People have come out and bought more energy efficient dishwashers, thinking that will solve it. People have been adding more soap thinking that will solve it. But when you add too much soap, it gets pumped into the motor,” said Mumma’s Appliance owner Seagrist Grace. “People are kind of clueless about detergent.”

Switalski emphasizes that if you learn a little about dishwashing detergent, the no-phosphate problem can be remedied. “As long as the rinse aid is filled or if you use Electrosol with the power ball in the center, your dishes will come out just fine.”

Other consumers have found similar solution. “I have Lemi Shine and I put that in my dishwasher and my dishes are fine,” said Share. Lemi Shine is the latest product released by Envirocon Technologies and is completely environmentally friendly, according to the manufacturer.

Several consumers told Foxnews.com that Electrosol has also been very effective post phosphate ban because it has working enzymes that cut grease and burnt on foods and includes Jet Dry Gel to produce shiny spotless glasses.

“I go online a pay $14 for the active ingredient and I add it to my detergent. I take satisfaction that I am defying ridiculous environmental rules,” said Marianne Sanders of Virginia. “I keep quiet about it though because everyone would be bent out of shape if they knew I was breaking the rules. There is nothing illegal about it, though. If you don’t use it, you actually use more water trying to get your dishes clean.”

When all else failed to find a phosphate substitute, many people went right back to the original ingredient -- some people are even selling original Cascade WITH phosphate on Ebay.

Will this black market for phosphate be enough to convince lawmakers to reverse the ban?

“This is just one sacrifice we have to make,” said Grace. Dennis Griesing of American Cleaning Institute also sees no sign of phosphate in the future.

“There is no reasonable expectation that they will go back.” So will the ban actually do any good for the environment if people are still finding a way around the ban? Only time will tell.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/18/dishing-woes-dont-wash-away/#ixzz1EYFsfh00

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 07:50:05 PM »
Re: I FOUND IT!!
Post by johnflorida on Feb 2, 2011, 10:32pm

I guess only American "pollution" matters.

I believe the product is made by Proctor and Gamble in Mexico for Mexico and the export it here. Remember only 16 states banned Phosphates but the manufactures jumped the gun and just did it for everybody(how nice).

I picked up on this stuff and went to a local ethnic store and started looking around and there it was on the label PHOSPHATE and that was that. I only need it for the tough stuff like oil grease and so on most of my clothes don't get that bad. And bed sheets lately with all the talk about bed bugs it's got me freaked out.

Well, we've been outsmarted.

I was in WalMart this week, and the Mexican-brands laundry detergent there, both of them, are now marked "For the US" and neither of them have phosphates.

Rat.bastids.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:11:06 PM »
Since I began adding the TSP, our dishes are coming out as sparkly clean as ever, and I get the added satisfaction of adding my wee contribution to algae proliferation in the water, in the dire hope that I can do my part to warm up this God-forsaken tundra with a little extra Co2. It's not working, but at least my dishes are clean.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

hemm

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 06:52:27 AM »
ok so where are ya'll getting TSP.........Mrs Hemm wants some.......

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:36:51 AM »

Any of the box stores ;ike home depot and the like have it. All I add is 1/4 teaspoon in the bottom of the cup and add the regular stuff over it.

If the laundry detergent (Foca) is marked for the us I would add TSP to The laundry it may be marked that way because your state might be one of the state that banned phosphates.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

hemm

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 08:13:32 AM »

Any of the box stores ;ike home depot and the like have it. All I add is 1/4 teaspoon in the bottom of the cup and add the regular stuff over it.

If the laundry detergent (Foca) is marked for the us I would add TSP to The laundry it may be marked that way because your state might be one of the state that banned phosphates.

Thanks John, Not sure if its banned in VA or not...........

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:54:54 AM »

I got it at the local Hardware Hank.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »

TSP isn't banned anywhere that I know of.

Thanks John, Not sure if its banned in VA or not...........

All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »

There ya go, folks; this is what the big box looks like.  Squeeze it before buying, though; ours was rock, and I mean ROCK, hard.  I had to cut the box off and chop up the perfectly-formed rectangle with a paint scraper.

BTW, that's the image from the Fox News piece that Hemm posted.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:03:39 PM by Pandora »

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:55:13 PM »
WOW!

Little did I know when I signed up here I'd learn how to get my dishes clean!

::thumbsup::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 11:03:52 PM »
WOW!

Stick around, because next week we're covering how to maintain communication satellites in geosynchronous orbit. You'll need a scientific calculator and two #2 pencils!
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 11:11:17 PM »
WOW!

Stick around, because next week we're covering how to maintain communication satellites in geosynchronous orbit. You'll need a scientific calculator and two #2 pencils!

And then can we work on building a transporter for that man in the oval office? I have a vacation I'd like to beam him to! ::rolllaughing::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 05:24:22 AM »
Stymie just got back from one (AWOL) . I wish he'd visited Padagonia ... and stayed there ! ::cussing::