Author Topic: BMG's Apple Slaw  (Read 1460 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
BMG's Apple Slaw
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:25:25 PM »
So I was wandering North Carolina a few years back and found myself in Franklin. I popped into a small eatery there and had this wonderful Apple Slaw. When I got home I set out to re-create that recipe and got somewhat close (I think!). This is the result - now mind you, it is a tedious recipe if you do it by hand like I do. But it sure looks pretty on the plate and I like the taste. This is a very good and colorful dish for a Christmas table!

Dressing:
2 Tablespoons Sour Cream
3 1/4 Teaspoons Sugar
3 1/4 Teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix above ingredients together (Use a glass jar with a lid and shake until mixed).

(Proportions per 4 apples)

Best Apples to use (one of each type, 2 of two types or 4 of one type - I usually use 1 of each type for the color):
Braeburn
Granny Smith
Red Delicious
Gala

2 Cups shredded Cabbage (mix green and purple for the color contrast)
1/4 Cup Pineapple Juice

Core and slice the apples thin (Shoestring - we're talking ity-bity pieces that are about 1/8" x 1/8" and as long as the apple was).  Leave the skins on and use one of each apple for a nice color and taste combination (particularly festive coloration during Christmas). I've tried this on a mandolin but my mandolin is a cheap one and just didn't do the job right. So I do this all by hand with a parring knife.

Combine the apples and the pineapple juice in a large bowl while cutting the apples to prevent browning as you work.  

Once all the apples have been sliced add the cabbage and the dressing.  Toss together by hand until all ingredients are mixed. Be gentle so you don't break up the apple 'strings' in the process.  

Chill and serve.

8 servings per 4 apples.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:40:39 PM by BMG »
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: BMG's Apple Slaw
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:37:51 PM »
Yum.  I'm making this.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
@LV:

Sample it as you are adding the cabbage. The cabbage is there basically as filler to add some volume so you don't have to keep slicing apples! It does add some texture contrast, but raw cabbage is fairly bland so it doesn't add a whole lot to the taste. You may find that using less cabbage suits your taste better, especially if you don't need to have a bunch of this at the table.

Also, if you do make it let me know how you like and if you'd change anything so the recipe can be improved!
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:06:32 PM »
@LV:

Sample it as you are adding the cabbage. The cabbage is there basically as filler to add some volume so you don't have to keep slicing apples! It does add some texture contrast, but raw cabbage is fairly bland so it doesn't add a whole lot to the taste. You may find that using less cabbage suits your taste better, especially if you don't need to have a bunch of this at the table.

Also, if you do make it let me know how you like and if you'd change anything so the recipe can be improved!

will do
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."