Author Topic: BMG's Fancy Chicken Salad  (Read 2134 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
BMG's Fancy Chicken Salad
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:13:28 PM »
Alright, here's another recipe I developed after having had lunch at a restaurant. This eatery was in Fairbanks, Alaska and frankly, it was pretty surprising to find something like this there. If you lived in the area you'd know why I guess.

Now I know that it sounds strange having grapes in your chicken salad. I thought it was mighty odd when it was put in front of me at that restaurant in Fairbanks, but it is surprisingly good. Anyway, on to the recipe!

Enjoy!

BMG

Ingredients:
Boneless skinless thigh and/or breast meat (about 1lb).
1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts or pine nuts...or whatever you like)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup quartered green or red (or both!) seedless grapes
3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I'm partial to Helman's)

Directions:
Boil the chicken until done. Remove from the water and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, chop your celery and onion - be sure to make it fairly fine (unless you like it coarse).
Crush up the nuts so that they are roughly raisin-sized chunks.
Cut up the grapes - I like to quarter them so you don't get big pieces of grape in the mix.
By now the chicken should be cool. If it wasn't boneless/skinless make it so now. Then dice up the chicken to whatever size you like (I prefer pieces about the size of a dime).
Mix all the above ingredients together and serve on a multi-grain bread or a bagel with a romaine leaf, tomato slice and pickle spear on the side.

Makes about 5 servings.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:20:10 PM by BMG »
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: BMG's Fancy Chicken Salad
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 09:24:18 PM »
As it happens my daughter texted me from work today and said I don't suppose you have anything to make chicken salad with? 

No, but when I shop next week I might just pick up some grapes and pecans besides the chicken. 

I like to play around with making stuff I've had out.  Sometimes I just look up a menu online from a restaurant I've never even been to and try to copy it.  Problem is once I copy it at home the family would rather stay home and have me cook than go out.   ::facepalm::

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:28:21 PM »
At least you can console yourself knowing that by staying home and cooking you're saving a TON of cash...next time your B-day or Mum's day rolls around, be sure to 'explain' to the family just how much you've saved them by staying home all the time and cooking!  ;) You've saved them so much in fact that maybe a trip to the spa is in order! lol
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:37:33 PM »
At least you can console yourself knowing that by staying home and cooking you're saving a TON of cash...next time your B-day or Mum's day rolls around, be sure to 'explain' to the family just how much you've saved them by staying home all the time and cooking!  ;) You've saved them so much in fact that maybe a trip to the spa is in order! lol

That I know!

That's how it started too and now I'm stuck! lol

I know a family of 4 that eats almost every dinner out.  They don't usually go to fast food either.  I'd get tired of it and wow, I can't imagine the expense.

You know it is pretty cool when given the choice of dinner out or stay home and the kids say--can we stay in?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »
Oh yeah, I hear ya. My in-laws eat every meal out too...and it's just the two of them. They spend around $700.00 a month doing it. My Mother-in-law's motto is, "The only reason I have a kitchen is that it came with the house."  ??? The thing is, she's a really good cook! Ah well...
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 10:02:21 PM »
Oh yeah, I hear ya. My in-laws eat every meal out too...and it's just the two of them. They spend around $700.00 a month doing it. My Mother-in-law's motto is, "The only reason I have a kitchen is that it came with the house."  ??? The thing is, she's a really good cook! Ah well...

My oldest lives on her own now (sort of lol)and she used to say when she got her own place she'd never cook.  She learned that cooking was often quicker than going out (she doesn't care for fast food except chinese take out and an occassional sub) and taste better and because she's a poor grad student, it's cheaper!

I saw a headline a magazine once along the lines of 10 strategies for saving money.  The first one listed was staying home for one meal a week. Ummmm, we pretty much do all meals at home.  (I don't count dh at work cuz he gave up brown bagging it a looong time ago.  I finally got him to give up the Starbucks though.)