Author Topic: BMG's Potato Salad  (Read 1974 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
BMG's Potato Salad
« on: October 16, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »
Ingredients:
10 medium red potatoes
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup diced dill pickle (I really like the Claussen Kosher Dills!)
1/2 cup finely diced celery
2 cans (2.25 oz each) pre-sliced black olives
3 diced hard boiled eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (Helman's!)
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste

Directions:
Boil the potatoes (I like to leave the skins on, they add color and nutrients and don't detract from the flavor or texture but you can peel them if you want) until done. Rinse, place in a pot of cold water and let cool enough to handle, then slice to whatever size you prefer. Place them in an airtight container and drizzle over the vinegar. Lightly toss to coat, then cover and place in the fridge overnight (or for at least a few hours).

Once the potatoes are adequately cooled:
In a large mixing bowl (preferably with a lid so you can use it to store your finished potato salad), mix together the mayonnaise, salt, & pepper.
Next add the celery, pickle, green onion and olives, fold to combine.
Next add the potatoes and eggs, gently fold to combine.
Sprinkle with parsley if a garnish is desired, and serve.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: BMG's Potato Salad
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 08:55:54 PM »
All y'all people sure like a lotta different food in yer food.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:23:33 PM »
Well, see Pan - me and food, we go W-A-Y back.  ::deercorn:: I figure, might as well enjoy life while ya can. Never know when our gubermint's gonna go all totalitarian on us and leave us with nothing to eat but rice, beans and moldy bread!  ;)

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 10:33:54 PM »
Well, see Pan - me and food, we go W-A-Y back.  ::deercorn:: I figure, might as well enjoy life while ya can. Never know when our gubermint's gonna go all totalitarian on us and leave us with nothing to eat but rice, beans and moldy bread!  ;)

Gotcha.  Not referring to limiting anybody else's choices, per se; I guess I'm a bit more of a "purist" when it comes to recipes.  Most of your formulas sound good, but I don't like crunchy things in most softer things -- I'll put bacon (yep, it's a bit crunchy) and chopped, clean carrot-peelings in potato salad and that's it for texture.

I want tuna/eggs/chicken and mayonnaise for those salads and except for herbs/spices; no crunchy stuff.  My sense of taste/texture seems to have either gotten sharper or just plain changed as I've gotten older (there is the med side-effect, too, perhaps), or not.  Never liked tuna salad with celery. 

I tend toward the creamy as opposed to the vinegary, with a few notable exceptions.

I'll just stifle myself from here; no sense spoiling everybody's fun.   ;D
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 01:13:27 AM »
nothing to eat but rice, beans and moldy bread!  ;)

BMG, no way I'm gonna believe you don't have a recipe or two for beans & rice and moldy bread.

::laughonfloor::

(I boil taters with the skins on then wait until cold in fridge and then peel.  More flavor cooked in peel and less mushy salad because firm from being cold.)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:39:47 AM »
@Pan:
Hey, there's nothing wrong with simplicity in a recipe either. If it tastes good, eat it! ;D

I have a Chicken and Rice recipe I really like...and I almost named half of the ingredients right there. lol I'll post it for ya when I get a chance!

@LV:
I do indeed have some recipes for rice & beans - moldy bread, well scrape off the mold and make french toast?  ::angel::

- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:32:08 PM »
(I boil taters with the skins on then wait until cold in fridge and then peel.  More flavor cooked in peel and less mushy salad because firm from being cold.)

Ever considered leaving the skins on (that will stay on)?  It adds a little bit of a nutty flavor to the salad and to mashed potatoes.

The only spuds I peel these days are ones intended for stew; makes it easier to smash a few of them against the side of the pot and stir in to thicken the stew a bit.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:34:35 PM »
I'm with you on that one Pan - I leave the skins on potatoes whenever possible. I think it tastes better and I like the contrast...plus I'm lazy!  ::angel::
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:36:55 PM »
I hear that!  And, if I could get my hands on a decent peeler .......