Author Topic: Candy cane case  (Read 1055 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Candy cane case
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:48:33 PM »
A long-anticipated decision has finally been handed down by the Fifth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in the infamous "candy cane" case.

The court ruled yesterday that the Plano (Texas) Independent School District violated the Constitution by not allowing student Jonathan Morgan to hand out candy cane pens with a religious message at his class "winter" party nine years ago. According to the ruling, a little girl who was threatened for handing out tickets to a religious play, as well as an entire class of children who were forbidden from writing "Merry Christmas" on holiday cards to American troops overseas, also suffered discrimination.

Government officials had argued that elementary students are too young to have First Amendment rights. But Liberty Institute president Kelly Shackelford says a different decision would have been devastating.

LINK

Too young to have first amendment rights?   ::gaah::

But not too young to learn about gay sex etc etc
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Candy cane case
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:13:34 PM »
Depends how the First Amendment is applied.  Had the girl been wearing a "gay pride" t-shirt, no problem.  Merry Christmas?  Problem.

In my opinion, it isn't a matter of the First Amendment, or any amendment, just that something is needed upon which to hang a case in order to defend traditional American values, because the Left can find multiples of "amendments" that are "violated" by behaving -- and expecting others to behave -- in accordance with them, those aforesaid values, and we're left .... floundering around while our founding documents are used against us.

There oughta be a law .........
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:31:35 PM »

There is, it happens to be another in the list of unenforced one's though.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 07:17:30 PM »
There is  going to come a day when these idiots are just dragged out into the streets and shot. When that starts to happen their minds will clear up in an instant and it will all stop.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie