Author Topic: Archive: Live-Chat GOP Debate on CNN, Tuesday 10/18  (Read 3041 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Archive: Live-Chat GOP Debate on CNN, Tuesday 10/18 from Las Vegas
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 09:09:39 PM »
WOW. Now in the post-debate interview with Cooper, Cain says re; the Guantanamo comment: "I mis-spoke. I would not do that."
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 09:28:58 PM »
WOW. Now in the post-debate interview with Cooper, Cain says re; the Guantanamo comment: "I mis-spoke. I would not do that."

This is distressing. We all know the mileage to be had from charges of "flip-flopping" or "he was for it before he was against it" - this is politics 101 stuff!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
For some reason when I click the chat link it loops me around to the home page  >:(

Sorry you had trouble Soup. It is a little bit of a glitch that rears its head once in a while. Pan's right, if you close your browser and reopen, that usually fixes the problem.

No biggie, but I guess I had better find a way to test earlier next time. Usually I just grab whatever computer is handy but tonight I only had one available so I was stuck.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 09:32:56 PM »
Bachmann on Greta right now. There's a reason she won the Iowa strawpoll. She missteps, but she's sharp.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline michelleo

Re: Archive: Live-Chat GOP Debate on CNN, Tuesday 10/18
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 09:46:08 PM »
I just tried to go out to hermancain.com and keep getting apache server errors.  Either a lot of people are trying to donate/learn more about the 999plan or he's getting a denial-of-service attack.  Hopefully, it's something like the former.

From my understanding, the 999-plan consists of a national sales tax that supposed to replace other existing taxes in the product production, and therefore theoretically not add up to a basket of both "apples and oranges". Is that right?  (when I have time, I plan to read through the 999 thread on the forum for greater understanding.)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 09:48:16 PM »
Now Michele Bachmann gets the Wayne Newton endorsement.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 09:49:29 PM »
I just tried to go out to hermancain.com and keep getting apache server errors.  Either a lot of people are trying to donate/learn more about the 999plan or he's getting a denial-of-service attack.  Hopefully, it's something like the former.

From my understanding, the 999-plan consists of a national sales tax that supposed to replace other existing taxes in the product production, and therefore theoretically not add up to a basket of both "apples and oranges". Is that right?  (when I have time, I plan to read through the 999 thread on the forum for greater understanding.)

That's right; a one-time, end-of-line, at retail, tax on new, not used.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 10:10:06 PM »

The apples and oranges is something all of them enjoyed misrepresenting.

Some states have sales tax instead of a state income tax.
The state tax is an orange and the federal tax is the apple;
one has nothing to do with the other.  If the federal tax code
is changed, no matter how, it will not affect your state tax code.

They used the state tax to confound the audience and to
gains points on each other with the viewers. We all lost on
that one.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »
Why can't they have a debate moderated by Mark Levin or Rush Limbaugh?  I'd actually watch that one.

/I remember when they used to let voters pick the candidate in these things called "primaries".
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 10:15:01 PM »
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle em with bullshyt.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 10:19:09 PM »
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle em with bullshyt.

THAT!! ^^
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »

A taste from around the town:

http://weaselzippers.us/2011/10/18/wz-poll-who-won-tonight%e2%80%99s-gop-debate/

Herman Cain           42.37%  (75 votes)
Newt Gingrich          22.03%  (39 votes) 
Rick Perry               14.12%  (25 votes) 
Mitt Romney            11.3%  (20 votes) 
Ron Paul                   5.08%  (9 votes) 
Michele Bachmann     2.82%  (5 votes) 
Rick Santorum           2.26%  (4 votes) 

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2011/10/18/the-cnn-debate-where-has-this-perry-been/

1. Where has this Rick Perry been? Finally, the guy showed up with     
     unscripted,
2. Rick Santorum is too angry to be President and came across as a jerk
    to everyone.
3. This debate hurts Mitt Romney more than anyone else.
4. As the candidates were piling on Romney for Romneycare...Michele 
    Bachmann . . . interjected and totally shut down that line of attack.
    Was she returning the favor for Mitt’s lifeline at the last debate?
5. Herman Cain continues to shine as the great optimist.
6. Newt Gingrich, hands down, won the debate.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 11:23:54 PM »
Also from the RedState post:

I suspect Perry saved himself tonight. Gingrich will go up a bit, probably drawn from some Cain votes. Romney will stagnate. Santorum and Bachmann will go down. Paul will hold steady.

I disagree that Perry saved himself. I think that he will go down another point or two. I think that Romney will also lose a point or two. I agree that Santorum will lose ground. I think that Bachmann will hold. I think that Paul will hold. Gingrich should go up by two points. Cain may increase his lead by one point. I don't see Cain losing ground despite his weakness on foreign policy. This election is more about the financials than foreign policy.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 11:32:01 PM »
I think that without her couple boneheaded statements, Bachmann would be in this race. She turned in a strong debate tonight in my opinion. But I hate to agree with the pundits - I don't think it'll translate into a jump in percentage points. Voters already finished with her colonoscopy and put on a new pair of rubber gloves.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 12:00:31 AM »
I think that without her couple boneheaded statements, Bachmann would be in this race. She turned in a strong debate tonight in my opinion. But I hate to agree with the pundits - I don't think it'll translate into a jump in percentage points. Voters already finished with her colonoscopy and put on a new pair of rubber gloves.

Bachmann may yet surprise. The problem for her (and Cain and Gingrich) is one of financing. That's why you see Romney ignoring everyone but Perry. Perry has money and the potential to raise more...enough to be competitive with Romney in the middle stages of the primaries.

I heard Cain say that he had a total of 3 campaign workers in NH. That's, quite frankly, ridiculous. It's unserious and everyone (especially Romney) knows it. Cain needs money. A lot of money. In a hurry.

And the same could be said for Bachmann and/or Gingrich if they want to be serious and competitive.

Sad but true: No money (or little money) equals poor organization. Poor organization loses campaigns. Which is not to say that lots of money always equals good organization, it does not. Lots of money properly managed equals good organization. But no money always equals poor organization. And good organization will win the primary. Even for a turkey like Romney.

So...figure out who your favorite anti-Romney is and send them a check today or they are doomed. And, by extension, so are we.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 12:22:18 AM »
Crud.. totally forgot.  I was making dinner/eating and then teaching my daughter Science (homeschool) during this time... totally forgot.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 06:49:17 AM »
Apparently the PaulBots troll at The Blaze quite regularly...

Thank you for voting!
Mitt Romney  9.31%  (1,331 votes)
Herman Cain  30.43%  (4,350 votes)
Rick Perry  2.72%  (389 votes)
Michele Bachmann  1.94%  (277 votes)
Newt Gingrich  19.26%  (2,754 votes)
Ron Paul  34.8%  (4,975 votes)
Rick Santorum  1.55%  (221 votes)
Total Votes: 14,297

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/poll-who-won-tuesdays-gop-presidential-debate/

::facepalm::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 06:52:43 AM »
Palin says gNewt won.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/10/18/palin_newt_did_well_in_vegas_could_beat_obama_in_a_debate.html

She makes a fine point about debates, no doubt he'd clean up on a substantive debate, but throwing another old white-haired dude at Obama would be a mistake and given his proclivity to compromise there is no telling what he would give away if given the chance...I just cannot trust him to not screw up.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 06:55:36 AM »
That was hands down the worst debate I've ever watched or maybe because I couldn't pull myself to pay attention to an idiot giving uninterested irrelevant questions or watching the whole thing break down to Jr High level verbal abuse between them all.

It was telling when they piled on Cain for things that his 999 plan is not. None of them have a decent plan of their own for getting the lobbyists out of Beltway politics which all of them somehow agree that needs to be done. Willard has his 56 point plan to tweak the existing tax code to once again favor a few winners but will still leave the 800 LB. gorilla firmly clasped onto your back. All of them want to reduce or eliminate the capital gains tax which would be great but the liberals will immediately attack it as another gift to the extremely wealthy who as we all know earn their wealth via capital gains.

All the remaining questions were in fact irrelevant to our dire economic situation. I can only say this, thank the Lord there was a hockey game on another channel (Panthers vs Caps). Caps played a fantastic game missed many opportunities to score but did score three against a team that was really tired from the night before that couldn't get their legs under them. ::newyear::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 10:46:48 AM »
Palin says gNewt won.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/10/18/palin_newt_did_well_in_vegas_could_beat_obama_in_a_debate.html

She makes a fine point about debates, no doubt he'd clean up on a substantive debate, but throwing another old white-haired dude at Obama would be a mistake and given his proclivity to compromise there is no telling what he would give away if given the chance...I just cannot trust him to not screw up.

"I think we (Republicans) are more interested in substance and that's why like tonight Newt Gingrich again I think did the best because he seems to be above a lot of the bickering that goes on," Sarah Palin told FOX News after tonight's CNN debate in Las Vegas.

Everybody could learn from Newt Gingrich and the way his calm, cool, collected manner. He's kind of seen it all before in this political game, if you will," Palin said about Gingrich's debate skills.

I think she was speaking to his skills as a speaker and professional debater.
She wasn't speaking to him winning as in being the candidate to chose, she
avoided anointing him, chiding as it were the others to step up.