Author Topic: You have 30 Minutes!  (Read 4591 times)

charlesoakwood

Re: You have 30 Minutes!
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 03:33:04 PM »

What scares me NOW is worrying about that which I failed to worry about.  :o

Yup

Benelli's M4

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 04:56:37 PM »
<insert obligatory spouse is wonderful comment here>

There is no way I'd ever be able to discuss prep with my dear husband.

Will never happen.  And I can't even mention I'm doing it already.  I just do it quietly.

He walked into the kitchen a couple of weeks ago and said  "did you hear they're trying to take our light bulbs away?"  I just pointed to the latest bag of bulbs I'd purchased at the store. To his credit he went and bought more the next day.  But that's something concrete he heard on the news.

If I said we should have a plan if things go screwy he'd reassure me that it'll all be fine once Obama's out of office. And that I shouldn't worry because he'll take care of us. Then he'd go back to watching tv.

::gaah::

He thinks I've taught myself to can, garden etc because I'm a mom and I like it. Well, I've poured over old books I've collected over the years (in lieu of a mentor) so I at least know what I might need if neccessary.  I'm not learning how to slaughter game or how to build a gravity fed water system cuz I like it.  I don't.  Others do I know.  More power to ya.  It's not my thing but hell, you do things for your family whether you like it or not.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 05:00:20 PM »
Any conversations with your children about any of the "just in case TSHTF" scenarios?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 05:14:28 PM »
Any conversations with your children about any of the "just in case TSHTF" scenarios?

Not in detail--yet.  Only one doesn't live at home--she's only a few hours away and assuming I'd be able to contact her I know what I'd tell her to do as far as where she should go (we have a couple of options besides just staying here).  As far as having extra stuff on hand she won't keep anything beyond what she needs right now.   ::facepalm::  Sooo when I go visit I take  a bunch of stuff along and she's complaining she has no where to keep it.  ::bashing:: ::bashing:: I think for Christmas this year I'm getting her one of those prepacked backpacks.  I'm sure she'll roll her eyes.

I'd really like to sit down and have a detailed conversation with the kids but that won't happen anytime soon....yes, yes they do take after that part of the parenting team... ::)  So rather than get frustrated and turn them off completely I devote my efforts to becoming as knowledgable and prepared as possible.

But they also respect me so if I say time to hit the trail they'd go no questions asked.  And so would my husband.  And a few weeks later my husband would be all proud saying "I'm glad we're so prepared."   ::facepalm::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 06:10:04 PM »
Foxfire Books

The Foxfire Series:
With nearly 9 million copies in print, The Foxfire Book and its eleven companion volumes stand memorial to the people and the vanishing culture of the Southern Appalachian Mountains, brought to life for readers through the words of those who were born, lived their lives, and passed away there—words collected by high school students who wanted to be a part of their community and preserve their heritage. All 12 volumes in the regular series are anthologies of Foxfire Magazine articles written by Rabun County high school students over the magazine's 40-year history, usually expanded through follow-up interviews and other research.

For those of you who aren't aware of the Foxfire Books and who like this sort of thing, this is a pretty fascinating series that show details of skill sets no longer in use today. They're going for $216.00 for the entire set of 12 books, but you can purchase books individually if there are only one or two that interest you. Above is the general description of what the set entails. But that description doesn't give you a whole lot of in-depth information. I'll give some highlights from each book so you can get an idea of what they are all about.

Book 01) How to Dress a Hog, How to Build a Log Cabin and How to Make Moonshine (and the still).
Book 02) Spinning and Weaving, Midwifing and Wagon Making.
Book 03) Animal Care, Hide Tanning and Butter Churning.
Book 04) Gardening, Fiddle Making and Sassafras Tea.
Book 05) Blacksmithing, Bear Hunting and Flintlock Rifles (Yes, the chapter goes into detail about how to make a flintlock rifle from scratch).
Book 06) Shoemaking, Wooden Locks and 100 Toys and Games.
Book 07) Shaped-Note and Gospel Singing, Faith Healing and Snake Handling.
Book 08) Almost exclusively about Pottery.
Book 09) Quilting, Log Cabins Revisited and Home Cures.
Book 10) Chairmaking, Railroad Lore and Gourd Art.
Book 11) Preserving and Cooking Food, Wild Plant Uses and Hunting Stories.
Book 12) Square Dancing and a 'How To' section (which includes making a wooden coffin and catching, dressing and cooking a turtle).

As you can see some of these books are pretty helpful and interesting. They were written in the 70's with first-hand accounts from turn of the century/depression era residents of the Appalachians and preserves quite a bit of the knowledge of people that practiced simple living in a rural setting.   
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »

Now that she's a mother the attitude has changed and are more willing to listen. They're talking about CC permits which is huge.As for me I've been buying lots of basic needs type stuff mostly hygiene and laundry stuff using coupons and spending a fraction of the money on them. The kids are coming down in March and I'll have their starting up stuff here for them to take home(nice to be a truck family)
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie