Author Topic: BMG's Chicken and Rice  (Read 3529 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
BMG's Chicken and Rice
« on: October 17, 2011, 12:11:03 PM »
This recipe is particularly good for feeding a large family at a low cost. If you wanted to reduce the cost of this dish still further (at the cost of some of the flavor), or are just in a hurry and don't wish to take this extra step, simply omit the garlic, celery and onion. The flavor profile of this dish is pretty subtle already, it is intended to spotlight the chicken flavor; those other items only serve to enhance or compliment the chicken. Without them it is a fairly bland dish, but even having just said that I still really like it. Sometimes bland isn't a bad thing.

Enjoy!

BMG

Ingredients:
1 Whole Chicken (3-5 pound) OR 6 Chicken Thighs (bone in)
1 tsp salt
Enough water to cover the whole chicken, 2-3 quarts
2 cups raw white rice
6 garlic cloves, diced (optional)
3 celery stalks, diced (optional)
1 bunch green onion, chopped - any onion will do I just prefer green onion (optional)

Directions:
Combine the chicken, water and salt in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 45 minutes at a low boil (or until chicken is completely cooked).
Remove the chicken and let cool (usually takes about one hour).
Remove the meat from the bones of the chicken and shred or dice it. If using, add the diced celery, chopped green onion and diced garlic to the stock pot and simmer for another 40 minutes or until the celery and onion is translucent and very soft.
Remove all but 4 cups of your stock from the pot. Add 2 cups of white rice and the diced chicken to the 4 cups of stock in your pot and bring to a boil, stirring well.
Reduce heat to low after it starts to boil, cover the pot and let cook for 20 more minutes or until the stock has all been absorbed by the rice.
Mix to combine, salt and pepper to taste then serve.

Servings: about 6

Note: You've only used 4 cups of your stock so you should have some left over. Freeze it for later use as a chicken soup base or to use wherever chicken stock is called for.

Note: If you want a tastier stock, add the skin and long bones (leg, thigh and main wing) back to the stock pot when you're adding the celery, onion and garlic. After 40 minutes, remove the skin and bones and discard.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:43:25 PM by BMG »
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: BMG's Chicken and Rice
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 12:19:55 PM »
Sounds like it's delicious.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »
I think it is Pan...it's just really subtle is all. Salt and pepper at the table is a must with this dish. But that doesn't make it bad, quite the contrary! ;D
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

RickZ

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »
And here I only made seasoned ground pork burritos.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:30:58 PM »
I happen to have all that stuff in the house and am off on Wednesday so will be making that.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

BryanRichard

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 04:39:25 AM »
Ya I know the recipe is one of the dish from India the name is "Biryani". And it's very tasty to eat. Thanks for remembring my India tour.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:32:58 AM »
Ya I know the recipe is one of the dish from India the name is "Biryani". And it's very tasty to eat. Thanks for remembring my India tour.

Do they make Biryani with SPAM in India?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 11:15:49 AM »

Do they make Biryani with SPAM in India?

::laughonfloor::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."