Author Topic: Walking Dead  (Read 36053 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Walking Dead
« Reply #200 on: March 24, 2014, 02:49:34 AM »
I thought the first couple-three episodes after the mid-season break were kinda snoozers. But the last couple have made up for it, and now I kinda see what they were doing earlier. After the prison, they basically needed to reset the cast, the setting, everything. New character associations, etc.

I REALLY like how Carol told Tyrese about whatstheirnames, and how he realized, after just having been through doing what needed to be done with Lizzy, that Carol was only doing what needed to be done when she killed his infected friends, and thus forgave her. Had she told him when they were out on their walk before Lizzy killed her sister, he would have gone apesh*t. But perspective and reality did their work, and she was able to come clean. I thought that was very well written.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2014, 12:35:59 PM »
claimed.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2014, 10:35:58 PM »
I'm kind of liking Dr. Eugene Porter.  A mullet-sporting Southern scientist, with borderline Asbergers syndrome.

In the episode that introduced him, it's explained that he knows what caused the outbreak.  When asked about it he responds "It's classified".  Ever since then it has been bugging me that nobody has been like "Classified?  Seriously?"  What could possibly be classified at that point?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2014, 09:41:36 AM »
I think Porter is just stringing the red head warrior along to keep him alive, and he really doesn't know anything.  I could be wrong though.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2014, 09:52:19 AM »
I think Porter is just stringing the red head warrior along to keep him alive, and he really doesn't know anything.  I could be wrong though.

Yup. I think Eugene Porter is nothing more than a video game geek who tricked Abraham Ford into being his bodyguard. He's an interesting character though, as is Ford IMHO.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #205 on: March 26, 2014, 10:31:03 AM »
Yeah I thought about that as well.  Apparently the comics take that angle, but the link between the show and the comics is very loose sometimes.  Sgt. Ford seems to act as though he knew Porter from before, like maybe they had been at a military/DoD facility or something.

If it were me though, I'd be asking more about the supposed cause of the outbreak.  If he really does possess knowledge, shouldn't he be writing it down or at least repeating important details to others even if they don't understand it?  Nobody has said "We're one walker bite away from this secret knowledge disappearing?"

- Yours Truly

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #206 on: March 29, 2014, 08:56:50 PM »
On another note, I got genuinely excited to see a Mosin-Nagant get some prominent screen time.  For the entire run of the show so far I've been thinking a Mosin-Nagant with the big pig sticker would make a great zombie gun.  Especially the M44 with the side folding bayonet.

I was gratified to know that the show producers have been listening to my suggestions:

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2014, 09:52:12 AM »
I read somewhere yesterday that according to Andrew Lincoln, when he first read the script for tonights season 4 finale episode he was so disturbed by the events revealed that he approached Greg Nicotero, and for the first time, questioned him on whether they were going to far.

Nicotero assured him no, and then after they were done shooting, Lincoln says he gets it.

That could be hype, but it seems like a pretty sincere comment.

I've done a 180ยบ on this 2nd half of season 4. I was really down on the pace of the first several episodes. But now I think I see that they are really going for a complete situation reboot here, and the character realignment and development was necessary and good TV.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2014, 11:41:42 AM »
I really like what they've done. They made me care about (most of) the characters again. I don't even want Carl to die anymore, and I like Michonne now - a lot. Rick is finally able to cope with how things are rather than trying to salvage pieces of the past. Darryl and Rick's bond is solidified, both of them filling a missing and much needed space in each other's lives - Darryl's need to belong, and Rick's need for someone of strength to trust.

It's like the characters became important to each other in new and more interesting ways over the past 8 episodes, and what was threatening to become stale TV was reborn for me.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #209 on: March 31, 2014, 11:54:57 AM »
Yeah I liked it, just sucks that we have to wait until October.  Hell, we could be in our own SHTF scenario before then.

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #210 on: March 31, 2014, 12:21:43 PM »
I did read one review that make me LOL though. They said the scene where the group was being corralled through the compound by sniper fire at their feet should have been set to "Yakety Sax".

That there is funny stuff.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #211 on: March 31, 2014, 04:38:24 PM »
It did have a bit of a Benny Hill quality to it.  Who do you think was yelling for help in that boxcar the ran past?  Just some random unknowns, or could that be Carol and Tyreese in there?

- Yours Truly

Offline benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #212 on: March 31, 2014, 06:35:31 PM »
I don't understand why they didn't realize they were being herded.  I would have tried to make a stand inside one of the buildings, out of the sight of the snipers.  Make them come to me, and Rick and Daryl would have thought this too, but I guess it wasn't in the script.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2014, 06:43:54 PM »
I don't understand why they didn't realize they were being herded.  I would have tried to make a stand inside one of the buildings, out of the sight of the snipers.  Make them come to me, and Rick and Daryl would have thought this too, but I guess it wasn't in the script.

I could understand it if the first logical place to seek cover would have been some kind of cage. Even if they were forced to move through that into the next area and been captured there, I would have understood it. But to be chased from area to area, and for all of them to end up exactly where the bad guys wanted them to go, was a bit too far.

Still, overall good stuff, IMHO. And the analogy of Rick showing Carl the rabbit snare at the beginning was pretty obvious in retrospect.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #214 on: October 13, 2014, 03:33:55 PM »
So the season premier was last night.  Let's hear it.  Me personally, the "trough" scene has to be the most brutal thing they've depicted yet.

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #215 on: October 13, 2014, 04:42:48 PM »
So the season premier was last night.  Let's hear it.  Me personally, the "trough" scene has to be the most brutal thing they've depicted yet.

It was tough to watch that scene for sure. And the convenience of the circumstances that led to their escape was a bit much to swallow (all of them lined up at the trough, with the no-names getting whacked and then TSHTF right before Glen was about to get bled). All in all, it was one of the better episodes. I liked the way they dispensed with the Terminus storyline in a single glorious episode.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #216 on: October 13, 2014, 06:34:59 PM »
I would have argued with Rick to go back and finish the job and free any other poor souls trapped by the cannibals.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2014, 11:44:26 PM »

It was tough to watch that scene for sure. And the convenience of the circumstances that led to their escape was a bit much to swallow (all of them lined up at the trough, with the no-names getting whacked and then TSHTF right before Glen was about to get bled). All in all, it was one of the better episodes. I liked the way they dispensed with the Terminus storyline in a single glorious episode.
[/quote

I wouldn't say they completely dispensed with regards to Terminus. The last scene seemed to put it on the back burner, so to speak.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #218 on: October 15, 2014, 11:40:20 AM »
Yeah I don't think that's the last of the Terminus people.  It appeared that Gareth got hit with gun fire, but it wasn't clear how serious it was.

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #219 on: October 15, 2014, 11:56:19 AM »
Hmmm... we'll see. Nicotero and Gimple on "Talking Dead" seemed to suggest their goal in writing the episode was to wrap up the Terminus storyline on one glorious finale. But a wounded Gareth whose mother was executed by zombie would be an interesting character to revive.

I think Father Gabriel from the comics is up next.

- Thomas Jefferson