Author Topic: Walking Dead  (Read 33955 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Walking Dead
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 08:48:28 AM »
Must be hotlinking blocks on some sites.

::gaah::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 09:29:37 AM »
If you want to see some fast zombies, see "I Am Legend".  Will Smith; good actor, good movie.

Speaking of, I understand his wife is trashing their marriage, and J-Lo's, by engaging in the no-no with Marc Anthony.  Tsk.  And they all have children, too.  They got a liiiiitle too cozy, no doubt, on the set of Jada's TV show.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 10:14:40 AM »
Yeah, the undead are decidedly meaner and more cunning in that flick.
As for as the rest goes...Hollyweird peoples...   ::)

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 06:12:58 AM »
Have you seen the 2004 "Dawn of the Dead" remake? Or how about "28 Days Later" and "28 Weeks Later"? Fast zombies. And IMHO, some of the best zombie flicks ever made.

Bah.. Netflix won't stream that movie.  I'd have to put it in the Queue and come between my wife and her chick flicks.  That's more dangerous than a zombie. :)

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 06:13:51 AM »
If you want to see some fast zombies, see "I Am Legend".  Will Smith; good actor, good movie.

Speaking of, I understand his wife is trashing their marriage, and J-Lo's, by engaging in the no-no with Marc Anthony.  Tsk.  And they all have children, too.  They got a liiiiitle too cozy, no doubt, on the set of Jada's TV show.

I considered those more Vampires than Zombies because of their affliction to daylight (burning, etc).

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 06:19:50 AM »
2006 - Zombie Wars

Do not waste the 3:00 minutes it took before I decided to push stop.
Save 3 minutes of your life.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 07:08:47 AM »
I've seen so many movies and shows...I can't remember the name, perhpas someone here will...There was a flick about people surviving zombies in L.A. and people trapped in one building saw a survivor across several blocks on another rooftop.  The first group started playing a game with the one guy who had a scoped rifle...would write down a name of a famous person, and the lone gunman would scan the zombies down below and shoot them.  The people on the roof flashed up a sign reading "Jay Leno", the lone gunman read it and started scanning the streets, sure enough in his sights was a white-haired zombie in a suit who looked like Jay Leno..."pop" goes his head and everybody cheers.  Such is entertainment in the zombie apocalypse!

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 07:36:17 AM »
I've seen so many movies and shows...I can't remember the name, perhpas someone here will...There was a flick about people surviving zombies in L.A. and people trapped in one building saw a survivor across several blocks on another rooftop.  The first group started playing a game with the one guy who had a scoped rifle...would write down a name of a famous person, and the lone gunman would scan the zombies down below and shoot them.  The people on the roof flashed up a sign reading "Jay Leno", the lone gunman read it and started scanning the streets, sure enough in his sights was a white-haired zombie in a suit who looked like Jay Leno..."pop" goes his head and everybody cheers.  Such is entertainment in the zombie apocalypse!

That was the 2004 remake of "Dawn of the Dead". He shot "Jay Leno", "Rosie O'Donnell", and "Burt Reynolds". The guy on the other roof was named Andy, and the roof he was on was the gun shop he owned. The main group of people were trapped in a shopping mall. I believe (not sure) they were in Detroit, not LA. For some reason that's what I'm remembering.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2011, 08:22:12 AM »
I've seen so many movies and shows...I can't remember the name, perhpas someone here will...There was a flick about people surviving zombies in L.A. and people trapped in one building saw a survivor across several blocks on another rooftop.  The first group started playing a game with the one guy who had a scoped rifle...would write down a name of a famous person, and the lone gunman would scan the zombies down below and shoot them.  The people on the roof flashed up a sign reading "Jay Leno", the lone gunman read it and started scanning the streets, sure enough in his sights was a white-haired zombie in a suit who looked like Jay Leno..."pop" goes his head and everybody cheers.  Such is entertainment in the zombie apocalypse!

That was the 2004 remake of "Dawn of the Dead". He shot "Jay Leno", "Rosie O'Donnell", and "Burt Reynolds". The guy on the other roof was named Andy, and the roof he was on was the gun shop he owned. The main group of people were trapped in a shopping mall. I believe (not sure) they were in Detroit, not LA. For some reason that's what I'm remembering.

Sounds right, I could've gotten the city wrong...seen a lot of zombie flicks!

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2011, 12:27:56 PM »
It was the re make of Dawn of the Dead..... I liked it.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 01:18:56 PM »
AHA!!  Vindicated!!

I like the show but man these people have no tactical sense whatsoever. I couldn’t believe they were letting the kids walk around those cars/graveyard by themselves, or didn’t have someone up on the roof of that motor home immediately, let alone still be trying to drive that thing when there are all sorts of vehicles at hand.

aikidoka on October 19, 2011 at 10:32 PM

HotAir commenter on TWD thread.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 02:03:50 PM »
I caught myself thinking the same thing when I watched the season II episode on the web. Of course I haven't seen any of the other episodes so I haven't a clue what's going on (beyond the obvious about zombies). Then I scolded myself, "Relax silly - it's just a TV program!"

Of course we would do things differently...  ::overkill::

;D

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2011, 06:42:23 PM »

You guys need to be more careful.  I live in Arizona.  I always have to think about dehydration.
I just lost 3 cups of saliva from drooling....

Thanks!   ::rockets::

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2011, 08:06:41 PM »

You guys need to be more careful.  I live in Arizona.  I always have to think about dehydration.
I just lost 3 cups of saliva from drooling....

Thanks!   ::rockets::

Man, if she had a bunch of tats she really be hot. ::stirpot::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 10:15:04 PM »
Man, if she had a bunch of tats she really be hot. ::stirpot::

::hysterical:: ::bows::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2011, 07:13:51 AM »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2011, 10:02:47 PM »
Sounds like everyone here is a fan of The Walking Dead. I have not seen a single episode. I thought that I might begin watching it until I heard rumblings against it at AoS. Today they posted this decidedly negative critique from BigHollywood. Here's a quote:

The liberal premise is that firearms are to be reserved to an elite is obnoxious – in fact, one key sub-plot in the premiere is that they took the gun belonging to one woman away, and refused to give it back to her even after she was nearly eaten because she was unarmed. I can’t abide a zombie flick that would earn the Brady Campaign’s seal of approval.

Maybe they could solve the training “problem” by actually training the civilians, but that never seemed to occur to the self-appointed leaders. In fact, the two cops don’t seem interested in preparing the civilians at all. Instead, they spend most of their time talking about their feelings. It’s agonizing.

Here is the thing about the hero that ‘TWD’ itself does not seem to realize. He’s completely inept, and over the course of the show, his failure to perform with even the most minimal level of tactical competence has directly led to scores of survivors ending up as zombie chow.

The ‘TWD‘ producers like to talk about how their show is about the people, not the zombies. Why that’s supposed to be a good thing is unclear.  Regardless, part of the payoff should be watching people we like and root for, not ones who are so lame that the entire series seems to consist of them doing stupid things in the first five minutes and then trying to unscrew them for the next hour.

After reading this review I am having a very hard time working up the effort needed to watch an episode. Is there anyone here who wants to take issue with this review and explain why this show is really, really good and worth watching?
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2011, 10:12:53 PM »
It isn't really really good. It's television for cripes sake!

Actually I was going to ask Pan what she thought of that one scene (where they confiscate the woman's handgun). I figured that they did it so as to set us the friction for a future confrontation. Obviously there is no way I would ever relinquish my firearm without serious consideration or even more serious recourse.

I'm a glutton for Sci-Fi and although not so much for horror, I do like (some) zombie movies. I do like the mental calisthenics involved in imagining scenarios and outcomes. That is why I checked out the episode and why I will go back to the website next week to see if I can view more.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2011, 10:17:44 PM »
Yeah, I read that negative review last week. I can understand the point of view, but I disagree that it makes for bad entertainment. It's a good show in my opinion.

Zombie flicks ARE about human interaction under stress against the backdrop of apocalypse, and the blood & guts are the candy.

This show never fails to deliver the candy. The gore is first-class, as is the suspense. As far as the "feelings" critique, to each his own, I guess. I understand that for a program to be interesting week-to-week, viewers have to care about what happens to the characters. That requires more than a superficial exploration of human interpersonal relations. It requires character development, and than means characters are going to be dealing with a serial story, which means relationships, which means emotions - referred to as "feelings" by a cynic.

If you like zombie flicks, just watch the first few episodes of season 1. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:45:21 AM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2011, 10:22:42 PM »
It isn't really really good. It's television for cripes sake!

Exactly.  It's a tv show.  No need to get exercised.

Actually I was going to ask Pan what she thought of that one scene (where they confiscate the woman's handgun). I figured that they did it so as to set us the friction for a future confrontation. Obviously there is no way I would ever relinquish my firearm without serious consideration or even more serious recourse.

I say it sucks; they'd have had a major confrontation on their hands had it been me.  I suggest your premise is wrong as to purpose; the old, RV-driver guy is in love with her and he doesn't want her offing herself.  Just tonight I averred they ought to give her the damn gun and if she offs herself -- SO BE IT!

I'm a glutton for Sci-Fi and although not so much for horror, I do like (some) zombie movies. I do like the mental calisthenics involved in imagining scenarios and outcomes. That is why I checked out the episode and why I will go back to the website next week to see if I can view more.

As said, it's a TV show.  There's no gratuitous sex, no cussing -- gee, do I ask for much? -- and while the plot and character development leaves much to be desired, so does television programming as a whole.  There's a world of speculating to be done, though, as you say, Soup, in imagining how it ought be done/how we'd do it, and there's some value in that.

For what it's worth.