Author Topic: Ugh. Now Cain blows an easy abortion question.  (Read 7141 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Ugh. Now Cain blows an easy abortion question.
« on: October 20, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »
I'm afraid the jig is up. I don't think Cain is ready for prime time.

Cain to Piers Morgan: I’m anti-abortion yet pro-choice
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Ugh. Now Cain blows an easy abortion question.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 10:02:02 AM »
Here's the thing--

when you're a candidate you know you're going to get these questions-- SO PRACTICE  your answers.

::gaah::  How hard is that? 

Could an answer where he said "I'm pro-life and yeah if my kid got raped I'd still be pro-life" be soooo bad?  First, of all it wouldn't be any worse than THAT answer .  Plus it's a situation that's probably never gonna happen so it's a hypothetical that no one can ever disprove. 

::gaah::    I need to write  a book-- How to be a Candidate and not look Stupid.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 10:12:21 AM »
I try to tell myself stuff like that doesn't matter, and maybe in isolation an awkward or ill considered response doesn't. But I remind myself that this is the Presidency, and the President is the chief executive, the chief diplomat, and the chief commander. The President will be playing hardball with leaders of other countries, many of them of hostile intent.

It's one of the intangibles that are important in a President. On the other hand it feels absurd to be critiquing any of the Republican candidates, considering the SCoaMF currently playing Occupy White House.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 10:13:32 AM »

He's speaking of a world without PlannedParenthood, an assumption of what should be.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:04:03 AM »
Newt is looking better.

I say that with caution.

He has less problems (for me) than Romney.

Why is it so hard for a really good candidate to run? Are Reagans truly that rare?
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 11:16:01 AM »
Newt is looking better.

I say that with caution.

He has less problems (for me) than Romney.

Why is it so hard for a really good candidate to run? Are Reagans truly that rare?

Yeap.

I'd say so.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:32:48 AM »
Sometimes saying nothing is better than saying something.

"A mans gotta know his limitations!"

::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 01:00:55 PM »

Maybe the best conclusion is that even the best of candidates has fallibilities.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 02:17:32 PM »

Maybe the best conclusion is that even the best of candidates has fallibilities.

Maybe.  But the "abortion" question has been asked for 30 years!  The democrats never stumble on this.  The republicans act like they never expect it.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 02:49:45 PM »

Maybe.  But the "abortion" question has been asked for 30 years!  The democrats never stumble on this.  The republicans act like they never expect it.

The reason the Democrats never falter is because they have no character and will say whatever is best to say at that specific moment.   The difficulty for some Republicans is that they have character and try to tell the truth.  The truth does not necessarily come in a sound bite.   There are ninety ways to express a pro life position unless one is 100%
all the time for any reason no abortion. 

Sitting at a table with a skilled inquisitor who is framing a question in such a way as to cause you to inflict as much
damage as possible to yourself is difficult to soundbite your way out of.

This is the same as it was in the debate where some said he was vague about 999, he wasn't intentionally vague.
The question required a thoughtful answer which, unless one is careless or glib such as gNewt or Mitt,
causes one to pause or reflect and definitely requires more than a slick soundbite answer.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 03:02:42 PM »
Hence the need to practice it

just sayin'

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 03:07:32 PM »
Hence the need to practice it

just sayin'

I agree LadyV. The verbal vomit technique is not serving Herman Cain, the GOP, or the United States well. We need a credible conservative to emerge from this mess to ensure that Mitt Romney does not win by default, and every single one of them whom we've hoped would do so has sh*t the bed. I'm very discouraged by Cain's seeming lack of understanding the stakes.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »
Well, like it or not (and I don't), these are the players.

Look.

Listen.

Pick one.

Live with the consequences.

It sucks but you don't always have the best of choices in life. "None of the above" is a pretty bad option.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »

Every week there is a head turner.
It's a little early to pick, I'd like
to get to know them better.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »
It is too early to pick.

Still wish there were better choices.

Offline Janny

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 04:06:32 PM »
It is too early to pick.

Still wish there were better choices.

Amen.

To paraphrase what a poster over on HotAir said the other night: We have to play with the hand we are dealt, but we need to play as skillfully as possible by choosing the right cards.

I don't expect a perfect candidate, but a little less frustration with the ones we have would be greatly appreciated.  ::gaah::

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 04:55:35 PM »
I'm sorry but............never mind sometimes I should keep my trap shut. ::doh::
No offense Trap. ::hysterical::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 05:56:15 PM »
No offense taken.

Cain leads in latest Rasmussen poll of Iowa. Hmmm.

From HotAir.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 06:23:45 PM »

Interesting, the complaints of a bad lot to choose from.
IRRC we started this primary season saying it was a relief
to have a much better field than in '08 from which to choose.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 07:42:35 PM »
Yah, and then they started talking ....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"