Author Topic: Buy a house, get a resident visa  (Read 753 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Buy a house, get a resident visa
« on: October 23, 2011, 03:42:48 PM »
The reeling housing market has come to this: To shore it up, two Senators are preparing to introduce a bipartisan bill Thursday that would give residence visas to foreigners who spend at least $500,000 to buy houses in the U.S.

The provision is part of a larger package of immigration measures, co-authored by Sens. Charles Schumer (D., N.Y.) and Mike Lee (R., Utah), designed to spur more foreign investment in the U.S.

"This is a way to create more demand without costing the federal government a nickel," Sen. Schumer said in an interview.

Foreigners immigrating to the U.S. with the new visa wouldn't be able to work here unless they obtained a regular work visa through the normal process. They'd be allowed to bring a spouse and any children under the age of 18 but they wouldn't be able to stay in the country legally on the new visa once they sold their properties.

Unless and until they had an anchor baby; then all bets are off.

Schumer needs a ......... I'm not saying.

I will say I do not believe this is A GOOD IDEA.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Buy a house, get a resident visa
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 04:16:48 PM »
The idea has some high-profile supporters, including Warren Buffett, who this summer floated the idea of encouraging more "rich immigrants" to buy homes. "If you wanted to change your immigration policy so that you let 500,000 families in but they have to have a significant net worth and everything, you'd solve things very quickly," Mr. Buffett said in an August interview with PBS's Charlie Rose.

The measure could also help turn around buyer psychology, said mortgage-bond pioneer Lewis Ranieri. He said the program represented "triage" for a housing market that needs more fixes, even modest ones.

But other industry executives greeted the proposal with skepticism. Foreign buyers "don't need an incentive" to buy homes, said Richard Smith, chief executive of Realogy Corp., which owns the Coldwell Banker and Century 21 real-estate brands. "We have a lot of Americans who are willing to buy. We just have to fix the economy."

Rich Americans=BAD.

Rich immigrants=Good.

Got that?

And if enough buy houses here the stupid Americans will think the economy is fixed.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:36:17 AM by LadyVirginia »
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Buy a house, get a resident visa
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:02:52 AM »
OK, who is this Lee character and why is he cooperating with Darth Schumer?  Schumer got dirty picks on him or is this another piece of Ruling Class scat to be purged!

If the latter, the Chuckie and his bride cannot neet a nefarious end soon enough!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.