Author Topic: Occupy Animal Farm: Some occupiers are more equal than others  (Read 9097 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Occupy Animal Farm: Some occupiers are more equal than others
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:59:35 PM »
I'm starting to think we should just stand aside and let them "occupy"...

The Organizers vs. the Organized in Zuccotti Park

All occupiers are equal — but some occupiers are more equal than others. In wind-whipped Zuccotti Park, new divisions and hierarchies are threatening to upend Occupy Wall Street and its leaderless collective.

As the protest has grown, some of the occupiers have spontaneously taken charge on projects large and small. But many of the people in Zuccotti Park aren't taking direction well, leading to a tense Thursday of political disagreements, the occasional shouting match, and at least one fistfight.

It began, as it so often does, with a drum circle. The ten-hour groove marathons weren’t sitting well with the neighborhood’s community board, the ironically situated High School of Economics and Finance that sits on the corner of Zuccotti Park, or many of the sleep-deprived protesters.

“[The high school] couldn’t teach,” explained Josh Nelson, a 27-year-old occupier from Nebraska. “And we’ve had issues with the drummers too. They drum incessantly all day, and really loud.” Facilitators spearheaded a General Assembly proposal to limit the drumming to two hours a day. “The drumming is a major issue which has the potential to get us kicked out," said Lauren Digion, a leader on the sanitation working group.

But the drums were fun. They brought in publicity and money. Many non-facilitators were infuriated by the decision and claimed that it had been forced through the General Assembly.

“They’re imposing a structure on the natural flow of music," said Seth Harper, an 18-year-old from Georgia. “The GA decided to do it ... they suppressed people’s opinions. I wanted to do introduce a different proposal, but a big black organizer chick with an Afro said I couldn’t.”

To Shane Engelerdt, a 19-year-old from Jersey City and self-described former “head drummer,” this amounted to a Jacobinic betrayal. “They are becoming the government we’re trying to protest," he said. "They didn’t even give the drummers a say ... Drumming is the heartbeat of this movement. Look around: This is dead, you need a pulse to keep something alive.”

The drummers claim that the finance working group even levied a percussion tax of sorts, taking up to half of the $150-300 a day that the drum circle was receiving in tips. “Now they have over $500,000 from all sorts of places,” said Engelerdt. “We’re like, what’s going on here? They’re like the banks we’re protesting."

All belongings and money in the park are supposed to be held in common, but property rights reared their capitalistic head when facilitators went to clean up the park, which was looking more like a shantytown than usual after several days of wind and rain. The local community board was due to send in an inspector, so the facilitators and cleaners started moving tarps, bags, and personal belongings into a big pile in order to clean the park.

But some refused to budge. A bearded man began to gather up a tarp and an occupier emerged from beneath, screaming: “You’re going to break my f**king tent, get that sh*t off!” Near the front of the park, two men in hoodies staged a meta-sit-in, fearful that their belongings would be lost or appropriated.

Daniel Zetah, a 35-year-old lead facilitator from Minnesota, mounted a bench. “We need to clear this out. There are a bunch of kids coming to stay here.” One of the hoodied men fought back: “I’m not giving up my space for f**king kids. They have parents and homes. My parents are dead. This is my space.”

Other organizers were more blunt. “If you don’t want to be part of this group, then you can just leave,” yelled a facilitator in a button-down shirt, “Every week we clean our house.” Seth Harper, the pro-drummer proletarian, chimed in on the side of the sitters. “We disagree on how we should clean it. A lot of us disagree with the pile.” Zetah, tall and imposing with a fiery red beard, closed debate with a sigh. “We’re all big boys and girls. Let’s do this.” As he told me afterwards, “A lot of people are like spoiled children." The cure? A cold snap. “Personally, I cannot wait for winter. It will clear out these people who aren’t here for the right reasons. Bring on the snow. The real revolutionaries will stay in -50 degrees.”

“The sunshine protestors will leave,” said “Zonkers,” a 20-year-old cleaner and longtime occupier from Tennessee. (He asked that his name not be used due to a felony marijuana conviction.) “The people who remain are the people who care. You get a lot of crust punks, silly kids, people who want to panhandle ... It disgusts me. These people are here for a block party.”

Another argument broke out next to the pile of appropriated belongings, growing taller by the minute. A man named Sage Roberts desperately rifled through the pile, looking for a sleeping bag. “They’ve taken my stuff,” he muttered. Lauren Digion, the sanitation group leader, broke in: “This isn’t your stuff. You got all this stuff from comfort [the working group]. It belongs to comfort.”

And as I spoke to Michael Glaser, a 26-year-old Chicagoan helping lead winter preparation efforts, a physical fight broke out between a cleaner and a camper just feet from us.

“When cleanups happen, people get mad,” Glaser said. “This is its own city. Within every city there are people who freeload, who make people’s lives miserable. We just deal with it. We can’t kick them out.”

In response to dissatisfaction with the consensus General Assembly, many facilitators have adopted a new “spokescouncil” model, which allows each working group to act independently without securing the will of the collective. “This streamlines it,” argued Zonkers. “The GA is unwieldy, cumbersome, and redundant."

From today’s battles, it’s not yet clear who will win the day: the organizers or the organized. But the month-long protest has clearly grown and evolved to a point where a truly leaderless movement will risk eviction — or, worse, insurrection.

As the communal sleeping bag argument between Lauren Digion and Sage Roberts threatened to get out of hand, a facilitator in a red hat walked by, brow furrowed. “Remember? You’re not allowed to do any more interviews,” he said to Digion. She nodded and went back to work. But when Roberts shouted, “Don’t tell me what to do!” Digion couldn't hold back.

“Someone has to be told what to do," she said. "Someone needs to give orders. There’s no sense of order in this f**king place.”

::hysterical::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Occupy Animal Farm: Some occupiers are more equal than others
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 01:06:09 PM »
a good laugh feels sooo good

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline michelleo

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 01:37:34 PM »
I agree that we should let it pass.  The Occupy crowd is part Animal Farm, part giant group therapy sessions for those suffering from serious hope-over.

Here's a glimpse into what I mean by group therapy written by the author of the Vajayjay Monologues....

There was something so generous and receptive, as if the words, the stories were visibly permeating and engraving themselves on each person's soul. No one could leave. It went on for hours. It was a feast. We were feasting on each other. Stranger devouring the stories of stranger.
........ from the plights of refugees living in New York to the struggles of artists reckoning with creativity, success, and the fragile bond of friendships. I am hungry for these stories because they all contain the stories of my family -- each story is a fight for recognition, for progress, for the freedom to work, to create, to transform. And it is for that fight that I am occupying Wall Street. America nurtured the creative community that gave me my voice and the opportunities for that voice to resonate   However, recent history is proving that voice has no audience, no reverberations worth a damn.......
..............The ground is hard, but the atmosphere is electric. It's the greatest school of democracy I've encountered. People are excited and open and kind and articulate and smart. Everyone is conversing all of the time, and everything seems to be happening at once. We have a month before our return flight takes off, and I have a feeling we might have a hard time leaving.

...... When they heard that someone spoke up, they were relieved that they are not alone. They were assured that they were not mad.....
Meanwhile, the cause is still nothing but an intense emotion that is beyond words........... The serene feeling i get while re entering the park from a long day of school is absolutely indescribable. .

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 01:43:35 PM »
It is like something straight out of The Onion. It reminds me of this: Marxists' Apartment A Microcosm Of Why Marxism Doesn't Work

"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 01:47:14 PM »
The lefties wanted us to be indignant. When we weren't they astroturfed (made up 'our' opinion and projected it onto us). Naturally that didn't go over because that wasn't our thinking.

I mocked OWS because it is classic lefty theater - complete with a multitude of court jesters. They are playing at being Big People using all the idiotic Big People skills that they learned in the government indoctrination centers. In other words, they haven't a friggin idea what they're doing, why they're doing it, or what consequences their foolishness will have.

Whatever legitimate concerns that any of these fools may have is lost in the Theater of the Absurd.

The hardcore agitators are getting frustrated and whenever thugs get mad they get violent. When that happens the sunshine players will melt away back to the safety of their parents basements and dorm rooms.

And in the final analysis it will be "Bush's Fault"... ::whatgives::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »
Great googeliemoogelie that was funny!

Trash thinks other trash is trash...nobody getting along...leaderless...directionless...pointless...no Kum-Bay-Yah togetherness!

::hysterical::   ::rolllaughing::    ::laughonfloor::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 02:23:49 PM »
let them eat their own...less for us to clean up later
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 02:27:57 PM »
...better wash 'em off first...

::puke::

And cook thoroughly!

::laughonfloor::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 03:24:06 PM »
I mean seriously, what can you really say about a bunch of people who think the concept of "property" is merely a contrivance of the capitalists, something that can be educated out of existence?

Have they not made even a cursory observation of nature? Even the simplest single cell organisms manifest the concept of property when one of them engulfs and eats another one. Anyone who has ever watched two dogs at feeding time, pacing back and forth from one to the other's bowl in an effort to acquire what is in reality an identical portion of identical food, will know that property is a concept inherent to existence.

It is seriously guffaw-inducing to read of their genuine outrage when it's their own property that is forfeit.

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 04:00:56 PM »
I mean seriously, what can you really say about a bunch of people who think the concept of "property" is merely a contrivance of the capitalists, something that can be educated out of existence?

Have they not made even a cursory observation of nature? Even the simplest single cell organisms manifest the concept of property when one of them engulfs and eats another one. Anyone who has ever watched two dogs at feeding time, pacing back and forth from one to the other's bowl in an effort to acquire what is in reality an identical portion of identical food, will know that property is a concept inherent to existence.

It is seriously guffaw-inducing to read of their genuine outrage when it's their own property that is forfeit.

But see Glock, we're not animals, we're humans, so we're better than that. We can overcome the instinct to define what is ours - and for those who can't... mass graves are the perfect antidote. 100,000,000 have died in the last century alone to prove just how the instinct for property can be overcome.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »
“This is its own city. Within every city there are people who freeload, who make people’s lives miserable. We just deal with it. We can’t kick them out.”

Pot, meet kettle. ::laughonfloor::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 08:06:47 PM »
LOL. Maybe we're on the verge of seeing an Occupy Occupy Wall Street movement.   ::hysterical::

- Yours Truly

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 09:39:45 PM »
I guess this is where a degree in conflict studies can be of value. ::laughonfloor::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 09:51:25 PM »
I guess this is where a degree in conflict studies can be of value. ::laughonfloor::

Yeah,

"Someone needs to give orders. There’s no sense of order in this f**king place.”
                                                                                                                                  ::laughonfloor::     

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 10:17:26 PM »
It gets better. Now there are "rifts" in Occupy Charlotte: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/21/2712248/rifts-threaten-occupy-charlottes.html

This is probably going on in every one of these stupid events.

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 05:42:13 AM »
LOL. Maybe we're on the verge of seeing an Occupy Occupy Wall Street movement.   ::hysterical::

Wouldn't that be the equivalent of a bowel movement? ::thinking::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 08:36:14 AM »
Face it: Revolution is a dirty, nasty and sometimes bloody business. The Iranian Revolution is a recent example of the insanity that accompanies mob rule. Every night on the news during "America Held Hostage, Day ____" we had to endure the sniveling face of the "spokesperson" for the Revolution, Mr. Sadegh Ghotbzadeh.

I was fascinated by Sadegh Ghotbzadeh. He was all over US television in the late 70's, urbane, witty, perfect English and the Iranian face seen by most Americans.

He was spokesman for everything.

He was also consumed by the revolution, tortured, forced to give false testimony, tried and shot. He has no grave and precious little video to recall who he was.

http://2164th.blogspot.com/2009/06/west-fooled-again-in-iran-but-so-was.html

Revolution, she is a bitch. A crazy, blood lusting. psycho, murderous bitch. And these little pillars of intellectual superiority think that there can be order without chaos, without rules and regulation in a leaderless collective.

Worked just great for Mr. Ghotbzadeh.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »
Monty Python- The Annoying Peasant

Art imitating life (OWS).

Now THAT is freakin hysterical!
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 11:21:38 AM »
If I understand these idiots (arguably an exercise in futility), they want to do nothing and have other people supply all of their needs.

I would be perfectly okay with herding them all into one of the wilderness areas, putting a very big wall around it and then shipping in food and water. Let them have their utopia. But then don't let them out. Put it on pay-per-view. It would be illustrative.

Or stick a couple of dozen of them into that bio-dome place in Arizona. Again, provide them with all of the food and water they need and watch what happens in their perfect workless society.

Or put them on an island. I wish Australia wasn't already taken. Madagascar would work.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.