Author Topic: Nov. 9/2PM - EAS to be tested at national level interrupting radio and TV  (Read 6651 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
......... federal authorities are going to shut off all television and radio communications simultaneously at 2:00PM EST to complete the first ever test of the national Emergency Alert System (EAS).

The upcoming test is posted on the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau website.

Only the President has the authority to activate EAS at the national level, and he has delegated that authority to the Director of FEMA.  The test will be conducted jointly by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) through  FEMA, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Weather Service (NWS).

In essence, the authority to seize control of all television and civilian communication has been asserted by the executive branch and handed to a government agency.

The EAS has been around since 1994. Its precursor, the Emergency Broadcast System (EBS), started back in 1963.  Television and radio broadcasters, satellite radio and satellite television providers, cable television and wireline video providers are all involved in the system.

So this begs the question: is the first ever national EAS test really a big deal?

Probably not. At least, not yet.

The test will last for at least three minutes.

More information here.

Thread title edited to include time.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:23:09 AM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Nov. 9 - EAS to be tested at national level interrupting radio and TV
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 07:53:09 AM »
Another one of those things that on its face seems harmless enough...until you recall this is The Regime after all, and they are basically delegating this to Nappy Janet & Co.

I have my own EAS, and the criteria for implementation is probably a lot different than Big Sis's.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:55:58 AM »
I can't help it. I get the sense that this government is getting ready for some really, really big sh*t.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 09:03:59 AM »

Turn that off and include the other wire line and cells, then where are you?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »
It would be a prudent idea for everyone to have a default action plan established among those you think need to be included, i.e. a known meeting point, etc. This whole testing protocol is probably not anything sinister in its own right, but does remind one that the federal government has total control of virtually all means of electronic communication, and can commandeer them almost with the flick of a switch.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 09:58:15 AM »

Is there an elementary level radio book that conveys the necessary information (1,2,3)
to enable one to equip himself with the ability to communicate with others.

Radio is so esoteric, it seems.  There are so many different kinds of 2 way, and then within
that there are more subdivisions.  The uninitiated could waste a small sum of money for
a box of gizmos that are virtually useless.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »

Turn that off and include the other wire line and cells, then where are you?

Ham radio.

And as G says, getting a prestablished rendezvous in case of emergency for you and yours!

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 12:20:48 PM »
And an old tubed Ham radio no chips inside.
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 07:51:33 AM »
Beck is obviously more concerned over this than many others are -

"When speaking about the old EBS tests, Glenn said that it 'didn’t take control away from the broadcaster.' The new system, however, 'seizes control of the broadcast frequency.'  'If the state wants to take control…they can just take it and there is nothing I can do about it' Glenn stated."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/glenn-beck-test-of-emergency-broadcast-system-nov-9th-to-last-nearly-four-minutes/

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
National Emergency Alert System
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »
Cut/Paste from the Town email I just received where I work:

Good afternoon,

On November 9, 2011 at approximately 2:00PM EST (12:00 Noon Arizona) the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will conduct the first nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS). The national level EAS is a national public alert and warning system that enables the President of the United States the capability to address the American public during a national emergency. I wanted to inform you of the National EAS test to minimize concern or misunderstanding during the test.

This nationwide test will involve broadcasters, cable television systems, wireless cable systems, satellite digital audio radio service providers, direct broadcast satellite services and wireless video service providers. The public will first hear an audio message indicating “this is a test” followed by a 3 ½ minute test message. The message will be the same for both radio and television. At the conclusion of this test message regular programming will resume. This EAS test will temporarily disrupt radio and television programming, but it is important to ensure the National EAS system operates correctly and could deliver critical information to the public, should it ever be needed.  For more information about the National EAS test please go to http://www.fema.gov/emergency/ipaws/eas_info.shtm

Let this National EAS test serve as a reminder that everyone should establish an emergency preparedness kit and emergency plan for themselves, their families and their business. For more information about disaster preparedness please go to http://www.ready.gov/

Please feel free to share this information with family and friends and contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 02:49:04 PM »
Bump.

Six days from today.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 08:05:26 PM »
http://www.televisionbroadcast.com/article/125794

WASHINGTON: The Federal Emergency Management Agency today notified participants in the upcoming nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System that it will run just 30 seconds rather than two-and-a-half minutes as originally planned.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: National Emergency Alert System
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 10:31:59 PM »
This nationwide test will involve broadcasters, cable television systems, wireless cable systems, satellite digital audio radio service providers, direct broadcast satellite services and wireless video service providers.

So hard landlines can't be effected?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 10:45:56 PM »

It just occurred to me that there may be critical systems
using land lines and it would be a heap a trouble shutting
them down.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 07:36:19 AM »
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.0dcb7d3d860d0cf5c7d1a0b3866f2f13.ad1&show_article=1

Should fire up everything we own, see what's affected, info might come in handy.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 08:27:01 AM »
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.0dcb7d3d860d0cf5c7d1a0b3866f2f13.ad1&show_article=1

Should fire up everything we own, see what's affected, info might come in handy.

That's the plan.

The test is part of the Emergency Alert System designed to transmit, via TV and radio, emergency alerts and warnings regarding weather threats, child abductions and other types of emergencies, according to officials.

Child abductions?  Really?

This is not needed; the localities have gotten the job done reporting on all these things.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 09:16:40 AM »

The test is part of the Emergency Alert System designed to transmit, via TV and radio, emergency alerts and warnings regarding weather threats, child abductions and other types of emergencies, according to officials.

The new centralized system will be more efficient comrade.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »
Yeah, The Regime's ECOMCON plan for Amerika!

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 10:33:02 AM »
A premature moment (revelation) arose this morning:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/did-you-lose-your-internet-this-morning-you-werent-the-only-one/

Coincidence?  Or someone prematurely pushed O'Bummer's martial law step 5 button... disable internet communications at time of road blocks/checkpoints and disarmament.

That this is even possible reveals that things are tied together purposefully for a complete shutdown.  This event reveals a great deal more than people are realizing.

I'm going to add the article on the bottom here.. in case the source article gets srubbed:

************************************************************************************Usually Internet deaths are localized issues, like a tree falling on a cable line or your modem not working. But this morning, the Internet died for many customers across the country and Time Warner Cable seems to be taking ownership.

The problem is apparently resolved and seems short-lived, but customers are being told to connect again.

Time-Warner-Cable-Tweet by mchub532, on Flickr

According to Time Warner Cable’s website, the company serves high speed data services to about 9.7 million residential and commercial customers. According to Business Insider, outages were reported in Washington D.C., Los Angeles, San Francisco, Raleigh, N.C., Dallas and New York so far. Business Insider also reports that the outage flashed off for about 30 seconds.

The Twittersphere was hot on the story this morning with one report of the outage lasting 20 minutes. There is also speculation that other Internet service providers were affected as well, but this has not yet been confirmed.

lgladdy by mchub532, on Flickr

sfoskett by mchub532, on Flickr

Internet-Outage-Tweet-4 by mchub532, on Flickr

CNET reports that this trouble, which apparently hit sometime after 6 a.m. Pacific Time, is not the first of late for Time Warner Cable:

A couple weeks ago, my Time Warner Cable Internet service went down for several minutes. Upon calling the company, I was told I needed to call back due to a large number of customers calling for support. A subsequent Twitter search at the time revealed that many people were without service both in my area and outside of it. Like today’s outage, that issue was quickly resolved.

CNET also suggests other providers could be involved in an outage, stating that RCN customers in Boston and Philadelphia were also experiencing Internet problems around the same time, but RCN has not yet publicly confirmed or denied an outage either way.

Stay tuned: This story will be updated as we get more information as to what happened.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:51:54 AM by Delnorin »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 12:01:37 PM »
Sounds like they are running tests for when the Big Lever gets pulled.

I'm tellin' ya, if this thing on Thursday shuts even one avenue down for any time, the level of outrage could be tremendous.

I must admit to mixed feelings on the matter!