Author Topic: A Rhetoric of Distanciation: Sinn Fein's Reaction on the Death of Gaddafi  (Read 1350 times)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
By Randy Cole

October 24, 2011

“While the IRA looked to Gaddafi and other Arab leaders … for a framework for the kind of Irish political system they envisioned, Gaddafi supplied them with weapons against the British, not because Gaddafi had any concern for Irish history, culture or language, or even for the Irish people themselves, but because he hated in the Brits what he saw as western cultural and economic imperialism—a similar reason why al Qaeda is at odds with the United States today.”

In “A Rhetoric of Distanciation: Sinn Féin’s Reaction on the Death of Gaddafi” (661 words), adjunct professor of communication studies at Grove City College and contributor to The Center for Vision & Values—Randy Cole—explains, “Over the last 20 years, it seems to have been forgotten that Gaddafi was a major supporter of the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA), the organization responsible for the period of political unrest and violence in Northern Ireland in the 1970s and ’80s known as ‘the Troubles.’”

http://www.visionandvalues.org/2011/10/a-rhetoric-of-distanciation/

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
"...but we won't take the Irish!"
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
"...but we won't take the Irish!"

Many Scallywags, and Scoundrels on my Irish side. Also many great one's. Two of my Great Uncles were Gun Runners for the IRA before WWI. One was a wanted deserter from the British Army, the other worked for Standard Oil. Together they were able to smuggle weapons to the IRA under the noses of the British Occupiers. Today, I believe those two, would be turning in there graves. ::exitstageleft:: 

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
The enemy of my enemy is my friend Not always. ::bashing::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow