Author Topic: the only over-the-counter inhaler for asthma symptom relief will be gone  (Read 3054 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
http://www.medpagetoday.com/ProductAlert/OTC/28673

The FDA issued a reminder to physicians and patients that the only over-the-counter inhaler for asthma symptom relief will be gone from the market on Dec. 31, as part of an international ban on its chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) propellant.

<snip>

Under the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer (what the hell?  --LadyV), the U.S. and 195 other countries agreed to take off the market all products releasing CFCs into the atmosphere. The agreement was put into its current form in 1999.

Most CFC-driven prescription inhalers for asthma and COPD have been reconfigured with an ozone-safe propellant called hydrofluoroalkane (HFA). With a few exceptions, they had a deadline of Dec. 31, 2009, for the switch.

Two CFC-propelled products -- one combining ipratropium and albuterol (Combivent Inhalation Aerosol) and another containing pirbuterol (Maxair Autohaler) -- may stay on the market until Dec. 31, 2013, according to the FDA.

However, the transition has been controversial, as CFC-driven inhalers that were available in relatively cheap generic forms have been replaced with branded products at more than double the cost. ( ::falldownshocked:: --LadyV)

Similar complaints have been aired about the end of Primatene Mist, which currently costs $21.99 for a 270-dose inhaler online an online pharmacy.

In contrast, the same vendor sells the 200-dose Proair HFA albuterol inhaler for $44.99.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: the only over-the-counter inhaler for asthma symptom relief will be gone
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 04:23:34 PM »
Stock up.  I don't know what else to say at this point.

Well, for a reason I cannot quite name, James Carville comes up:

As I watch the Republican debates, I realize that we are on the brink of a crazy person running our nation. I sit in front of the television and shudder at the thought of one of these creationism-loving, global-warming-denying, immigration-bashing, Social-Security-cutting, clean-air-hating, mortality-fascinated, Wall-Street-protecting Republicans running my country.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/14/opinion/carville-white-house-advice/index.html?hpt=po_t2

I wonder if either of his daughters was asthmatic, he'd fear a "global-warming-denying, clean-air-hating" person running "his" country.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:05:37 AM »
You know.  Republicans will always have problems until someone stands up to the trash like Carville?

So James, do you think someone who takes Genesis literally is a better person, or worse person, than someone who stands credibly accused of rape, and who has been successfully sued for exposure?

It would be so easy.  But ya know, the first person who asks this isn't going to be invited back to the "right" party.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »
Love the new avatar MNHawk!

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 11:55:57 PM »
Judging from the dates of the comments on this site, stocking up may not even be an option:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/health/hfa_inhalers.html

This is a godamned outrage!!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 06:11:09 PM »
Judging from the dates of the comments on this site, stocking up may not even be an option:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/health/hfa_inhalers.html

This is a godamned outrage!!

Too bad Bachmann didn't make this her issue.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 06:20:27 PM »
Yes, that IS too bad, LadyV, because somebody needs to!

Offline Janny

Good for DeMint!

Sen. Jim DeMint is seeking a vote this week on his amendment that would stop the FDA from phasing out an over-the-counter asthma inhaler because it emits chlorofluorocarbons that have been linked to deterioration of the ozone layer.

Conservatives in recent weeks have highlighted FDA’s plans to ban the production and sale of Primatene Mist by the end of the year as an example of federal regulation run amok.

“It's a stupid regulation," DeMint told POLITICO. “It’s just one more example of just out of control regulation that's harming the quality of life for Americans.”

DeMint argues the inhaler emits just a tiny fraction of chlorofluorocarbons.

~snip~

link here

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
I am glad to see DeMint going after the EPA over this, but I fail to see, unless I misunderstand the mechanism, how CFs are emitted into the atmosphere when the device opening is inserted into the mouth and inhaled.

Offline Janny

I am glad to see DeMint going after the EPA over this, but I fail to see, unless I misunderstand the mechanism, how CFs are emitted into the atmosphere when the device opening is inserted into the mouth and inhaled.

It's incredibly stupid, but then, so is blaming CFC's for depleting the ozone layer in the first place. Not to mention that the propellant that replaced the CFC's is probably no more "friendly to the environment" than the CFC's.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Besides, even if we accept that the chemical they contain damages the ozone layer, just how much impact could asthma inhalers have on a global scale, in a given year?

As an analogy, a drop in the bucket would grossly exaggerate the impact.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

A man among mice, thanks Jim.

The FDA has been at this for a while.  Some years ago there were several pressurized anti-bacterial sprays that were quite effective on cuts and even punctures.  Today one remains and it is difficult to find.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Besides, even if we accept that the chemical they contain damages the ozone layer, just how much impact could asthma inhalers have on a global scale, in a given year?

Yes, I get it, and Janny's point too, but why concede any ground at all by letting the idiots infer than ANY of the CFCs are emitted into the atmosphere?  No.  If they're wrong, that is the ground on which they need bloodying.

Offline Janny

Yes, I get it, and Janny's point too, but why concede any ground at all by letting the idiots infer than ANY of the CFCs are emitted into the atmosphere?  No.  If they're wrong, that is the ground on which they need bloodying.

Oh, that is what really annoyed me in that article. Is was presented as immutable fact that CFC's are harmful to the ozone layer. We are, as you pointed out, talking about something that is inhaled, and doesn't even get into the atmosphere. There is absolutely no environmental reason whatsoever for banning these inhalers. It's government regulation run amok. Period. But the article is written to encourage you to conclude the opposite.

charlesoakwood

We have a lot of ground to cover.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel

We have a lot of ground to cover.

And precious little time.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Some additional information about why the main ingredient is in short supply -- it's a "controlled substance" ...

... Shire has stated there is an actual shortage of the drug's active ingredient, but that is a result of strict regulations set forth by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency. As an amphetamine salt, the main ingredient in Adderall can be easily used to produce the drug commonly referred to as "crystal meth."

Link

Apparently there's no limit to the number of substances that can be used to produce meth.

charlesoakwood

Some additional information about why the main ingredient is in short supply -- it's a "controlled substance" ...

... Shire has stated there is an actual shortage of the drug's active ingredient, but that is a result of strict regulations set forth by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency. As an amphetamine salt, the main ingredient in Adderall can be easily used to produce the drug commonly referred to as "crystal meth."

Link

Apparently there's no limit to the number of substances that can be used to produce meth.

Does this mean I'm going to need a prescription for anti-freeze?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Not a prescription, but if things keep the way they're going, you're going to need a damn good explanation for a stocking-up quantity.

Sort of OT, but in the vein of, have I mentioned that NC state-run liquor stores require a waiver in order to buy and transport above the specified number of ounces?  SSDD.