Author Topic: Pay back student loans?  (Read 2615 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Pay back student loans?
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 03:08:01 PM »
I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't better be to get back to working one's way through school.  Sure it could take 6 or 7 years but it would give you experience as an employee.

If I was hiring I'd choose the person who was 27 years old and worked their way through college over the 22 year old who's never worked. (My kids all get jobs by age 16 if not before and one of my daughters tells me some of her friends never worked until they got their first job after college.)

There's also this mythology around college now you must have the "college experience" in order to fully enter adulthood.  Much like if you miss prom, you miss the high school experience.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
Never went to college so I can't comment on the "college experience" as the threshold to adulthood.  I got my own apartment at 19, sans roommate, and was henceforth responsible for all my own bills.  Nothing like it to catapult one smack-dab into adulthood.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 03:34:33 PM »
I had the college experience......One time so much I couldn't remember where I parked my car and took 2 days to find it.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 04:20:31 PM »
Never went to college so I can't comment on the "college experience" as the threshold to adulthood.  I got my own apartment at 19, sans roommate, and was henceforth responsible for all my own bills.  Nothing like it to catapult one smack-dab into adulthood.

I agree.  But I run into many who think college is that time--as if college makes you an adult--if anything it extends childhood if you go right after high school. You get to pretend you're an adult without the downside! It's like going to camp for 9 months of the year.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 06:41:54 PM »

I agree.  But I run into many who think college is that time--as if college makes you an adult--if anything it extends childhood if you go right after high school. You get to pretend you're an adult without the downside! It's like going to camp for 9 months of the year.

See Don's comment above.  That, and the fact that they're still not paying the bills if they're not working full-time tells me all I need to know.

Chapel Hill students seem to major in drinking and Halloween.  I wonder how many of them are at the OWSes all over d'plaze.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Castaway

• Likes the place
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 08:03:36 PM »
The fact is that there's no excuse for college tuition and fees to have risen even 50% of the amount they have over the last twenty years , notwithstanding the fact that probably 25% of the kids in school have no business being there to start with .

Actually a third party auditor Norton Norris did a look at Proprietary Education vs Public Education and found that it was a significant amount less

Though for profit education does it at less expense to the tax payer our leadership is doing everything they can to smear the industry and shut them down through negotiated rule making. 

Lets not forget the feds have taken over ALL student loans...what is the rate they are charging and what do student loans have to do with healthcare again?

Look for the news to show up anytime on the default rates on student loans.  When the banks were running them they had a vested interest in getting the money back.  The government took them over ill prepared and are scrambling trying to keep up with all the defaults. 

Bottom line the DOE has a HUGE role in the jump in the cost of education. 

Offline Castaway

• Likes the place
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 08:05:55 PM »
The fact is that there's no excuse for college tuition and fees to have risen even 50% of the amount they have over the last twenty years , notwithstanding the fact that probably 25% of the kids in school have no business being there to start with .

Actually a third party auditor Norton Norris did a look at Proprietary Education vs Public Education and found that it was a significant amount less....like 20K plus less over two years!

http://www.nortonnorris.com/pdfs/career_vs_community_r5.pdf

Though for profit education does it at less expense to the tax payer our leadership is doing everything they can to smear the industry and shut them down through negotiated rule making. 

Lets not forget the feds have taken over ALL student loans...what is the rate they are charging and what do student loans have to do with healthcare again?

Look for the news to show up anytime on the default rates on student loans.  When the banks were running them they had a vested interest in getting the money back.  The government took them over ill prepared and are scrambling trying to keep up with all the defaults. 

Bottom line the DOE has a HUGE role in the jump in the cost of education.