Author Topic: Plastic particles from clothing end up in seas ....  (Read 1166 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Plastic particles from clothing end up in seas ....
« on: October 29, 2011, 08:50:35 AM »
Scientists have found an unexpected source for the rising load of tiny plastic bits in the oceans: Washing machines.

Doom doomdoomdoom doooooooooooooom!

When you wash fleece jackets, polypro running shirts and other synthetic fabrics, a new study found, miniscule threads of plastic seep through filters and escape into the environment. Marine microplastics can penetrate the cells of even the tiniest organisms, raising all sorts of health concerns for both sea creatures and the people that eat them.

And while washing machines are far from the only source of tiny plastic pieces in the oceans, the study suggests that there might be a need for a new generation of clothing made from natural fibers or synthetic versions that hold together for a longer time, said Mark Browne, an ecologist at University College Dublin.

For now, textile companies are not required to test their products for durability or plastic-shedding potential.

“We’ve been contacting industry representatives to try to find out that information so that consumers can make a choice, but no one has come forward and I find that disheartening,” said Browne, lead author of the new study.

“Consumers have the power when they go into a store to ask whether clothing has been tested for its impact on the environment,” he added. “If more and more consumers started doing that, it would then put pressure on the people who actually produce clothes to do something about it.”

::ohno::

B-b-b-but I thought recycling plastic into fabric was a good and holy thing to do for Mother Gaia!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Plastic particles from clothing end up in seas ....
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 09:24:17 AM »
.....miniscule threads of plastic seep through filters and escape into the environment. Marine microplastics can penetrate the cells of even the tiniest organisms, raising all sorts of health concerns for both sea creatures and the people that eat them.

Since I live on the Gulf Coast and eat quite a bit of seafood, I guess I'll die between the oil contamination and the plastic. Then again, I can eat healthy and I'll still die. ::falldownshocked::

“We’ve been contacting industry representatives to try to find out that information so that consumers can make a choice, but no one has come forward and I find that disheartening,” said Browne, lead author of the new study.

'Cause no one with half a brain really give a sh!t about "your" problem. ::doublebird::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Well, guess I'll just go nekked. ::danceban::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Janny

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:17:40 AM »
Marine microplastics can penetrate the cells of even the tiniest organisms, raising all sorts of health concerns for both sea creatures and the people that eat them.

Am I the only one who thinks this is very likely a blatant lie?

And what waste water is pumped directly into the ocean!?

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 10:33:41 AM »
Marine microplastics can penetrate the cells of even the tiniest organisms, raising all sorts of health concerns for both sea creatures and the people that eat them.

Am I the only one who thinks this is very likely a blatant lie?
And what waste water is pumped directly into the ocean!?

I'm suspicious.  I think there is probably nothing to back this up.

In the mean time, let's shoot up our kids with an anthrax vaccine.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 10:36:26 AM »

There are some spots on the CA coast where swimmers are posted
because of the effluent being expelled into the ocean.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 10:45:31 AM »

There are some spots on the CA coast where swimmers are posted
because of the effluent being expelled into the ocean.

Isn't that mostly coming from Mexico? I recall a few years ago reading about how the US taxpayers were footing the bill for a new wastewater treatment plant in Tijuana to alleviate this.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 11:58:57 AM »
.....miniscule threads of plastic seep through filters and escape into the environment. Marine microplastics can penetrate the cells of even the tiniest organisms, raising all sorts of health concerns for both sea creatures and the people that eat them.

Since I live on the Gulf Coast and eat quite a bit of seafood, I guess I'll die between the oil contamination and the plastic. Then again, I can eat healthy and I'll still die. ::falldownshocked::

I would Kill for about 20lb.s of Bluecrab and Crawfish with extra plastic right now. I'm to far north to enjoy it now. ::rockethrow::
'Cause no one with half a brain really give a sh!t about "your" problem. ::doublebird::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 12:05:27 PM »

It's too late for soft shells.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 05:03:27 PM »

It's too late for soft shells.

But the Blue Points are full. ::cool::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 07:54:50 AM »
Wow, guess they don't want to know about the stuff ships toss over wiht regularity.

::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 08:12:30 AM »
" Consumers have the power when they go into a store to ask whether clothing has been tested for its impact on the environment ..."

I never gave a sh*t about my clothing's impact on the environment ... and still don't ! The only "impact" I care about is it's "impact" on me ... That's why I never bought a Nehru Jacket or a Leisure Suit . As far as synthetics go ... I've always preferred cotton and wool but that was an aesthetic consideration only .