Author Topic: ??  (Read 4095 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
??
« on: October 29, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »
Anybody hear anything about Perry droping out of debates?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: ??
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 07:26:36 PM »
He alluded a couple days ago that he made a mistake participating in them.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 07:31:22 PM »

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »
  He drops out of the debates and it's over he might as well go back to Texas.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 08:09:29 PM »
There are too many crappy debates. I wouldn't mind if they were real debates but they aren't. They are MFM setups to discredit the candidates.

That said, Perry isn't doing himself any favors by not participating. He really needs to just take a crash course on debate tactics. He sucks at them but the proper course of action is to man up and kick Romney's ass rather than run away.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:12:37 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »
There are too many crappy debates. I wouldn't mind if they were real debates but they aren't. They are MFM setups to discredit the candidates.

That said, Perry isn't doing himself any favors by not participating. He really needs to just take a crash course on debate tactics. He sucks at them but the proper course of action is to man up and kick Romney's ass rather than run away.

The debates have devolved into bash obama and each other to the destruction of all of them. This herd needs to be thinned and a more serious tone needs to be taken. Screw Obama and concentrate on issues. Obama can be hurt just by going through where the country is today and people will come to their own conclusions as to how we got here.

Wait for the presidential debates to slat Obama with his own record. Right now I think people are ready to hear real plans from less people.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »

The Atlantic

When Perry interrupted Romney's 30-second response at the most recent debate, Romney appealed to the CNN debate moderator, Anderson Cooper. Parker confides, "it has become something of a running joke among the traveling press corps to call out 'Anderson? Anderson?' when things go awry."

OMG

George Will's characterization of Romney as the Republican George Dukakis is too real. Dukakis became the joke of press corps and the nation and it's happening with Romney right before our eyes.

'Anderson? Anderson? ROTFLMAO

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 09:02:03 PM »

The most scandalous thing about the debates is gNewt.
gNewt is a whore using the debates to increase his value.

He and all the politicos know he is unelectable.  He resigned congress
because of a book deal not unlike Speaker Jim Wright's.  He divorced
his dying first wife, then a second wife and now he's toting 'round a
third blowing his budget.  The same people who would not vote for
McStinky will certainly not vote for him, more so.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 09:07:44 PM »
I agree the whole debate setup is largely a sham. But Perry is definitely not doing himself any favors if he boycotts them. He does realize the Republican nominee will be in debates against Obama, doesn't he? If he can't hack it against other Republicans then I definitely don't want to see him as some sort of W. redux in the General.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 09:30:48 PM »
Heard a Hannity replay this afternoon, with Trump recounting a recent conversation with Perry where Perry was very good in stating his positions, very forceful, and Trump braced him with the question, "now why don't you do this, sound this way, while debating" and Perry replied, verbatim Trump said, with "it's just not my thing".  He knows he's a poor debater.

I don't know what to say about this.  We all usually choose to avoid a forum that showcases our weaknesses; I would imagine if he believed working on it would help, he would do so.  Perhaps not the case.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 09:55:33 PM »
As of 2 hours ago AP was reporting he's still going to at least 5 debates.

story here

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 03:26:01 AM »

I agree . Someone should have counselled the candidates not to fall for the bait but it's too late now . Personally , I thought they were crazy to enter that many debates so early . They're pointless . I haven't watched a single one .

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 09:01:03 AM »
The thing I don't understand is why they would agree to participate in venues with hostile moderators. It would be easy enough to say, "You can televise our debate, but we're choosing our own moderators. Don't like that? OK. Next."
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 09:09:11 AM »
I think 2 or 3 debates are needed at the most. If you haven't gotten your point across by then, you never will.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »
I think 2 or 3 debates are needed at the most. If you haven't gotten your point across by then, you never will.

I  mostly agree but would put it at 3-4.

What's missing from these contests is an outcome or resolution. And they are contests. Each participant is pitting their oratorical skills and reasoning ability against another. At the conclusion of each contest there are clear winners, but no elimination, and therefore no resolution.

It's nice that we gave Huntsman and Paul a chance to speak their peace......now go away and let us concentrate on serious candidates. The interesting thing is, depending upon how you scored each contest Rick Perry and Michelle Bachman would also be gone. Would that be a good thing or a bad thing at this point in the game?

On the plus side, having several opportunities to debate has broadened our chance to see these guys peek outside of canned speeches and ads. One of the missing aspects is the thoroughness of examination. I hated Mrs. Goldstein's ninth grade math class because it wasn't enough for her to press you for an answer - she made you show your work. She insisted on an explanation of how you arrived at your answer. Which meant that you couldn't guess or make wild guesses. She insisted on not just the correct answer but the right answer and we were better students for it.

Likewise, we got to hear Perry's soundbyte on immigration but not an explanation on how he thinks it could possibly ever work. Or how Paul's isolationism would fare on 21st century Earth.

(It's time to try out my latest metaphor)

So far what I've seen of the candidates on display in these debates shows Gingrich as a magnificent diamond - complete with flaws, Cain as a diamond in the rough, Perry like an industrial-grade diamond - useful enough but nothing you want to give your sweetie, Romney as a Cubic Zirconium - an excellent presentation but at the end of the day still not the real thing, Paul like Pyrite (better known as Fool's Gold), and the rest minor gems.

They all have their strengths, they all have their weaknesses. All are imperfect but even the least of which stands head & shoulders above the miserable wretch currently doing his "Occupy White House" imitation.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 12:00:27 PM »

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »

The most scandalous thing about the debates is Newt.
Newt is a whore using the debates to increase his value.

He and all the politicos know he is unelectable.  He resigned congress because of a book deal not unlike Speaker Jim Wright's.  He divorced his dying first wife, then a second wife and now he's toting 'round a third blowing his budget.  The same people who would not vote for McStinky will certainly not vote for him, more so.

I'm not saying you said this but your comment makes me ask this....

What makes Ron Paul any more/less a whore than Newt?  They have the same chance of becoming President.  They also have their own reasons for wanting to take part in the process.  Both have their own well thought out points and stances and beliefs.  Both are tired of a government that is broken and walking all over the people.

I find both of them in the debate refreshing.  I think it reminds the entire Country that there are hundreds of thousands (millions perhaps) that very well would be willing to go 'that far' to fix things.  Take out the 'unelectable' and then you get another McCain choice.  Someone nobody wants except the GOP and established clowns.

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 12:12:19 PM »
The thing I don't understand is why they would agree to participate in venues with hostile moderators. It would be easy enough to say, "You can televise our debate, but we're choosing our own moderators. Don't like that? OK. Next."

AMEN !!!!!!!!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 01:08:09 PM »

Newt is a whore using the debates to increase his value.

I'm not saying you said this but your comment makes me ask this....

What makes Ron Paul any more/less a whore than Newt?  They have the same chance of becoming President.  They also have their own reasons for wanting to take part in the process.  ...

First things:  

The most scandalous thing about the debates is gNewt.
gNewt is a whore using the debates to increase his value.

He and all the politicos know he is unelectable.  He resigned congress
because of a book deal not unlike Speaker Jim Wright's.  He divorced
his dying first wife, then a second wife and now he's toting 'round a
third blowing his budget.  The same people who would not vote for
McStinky will certainly not vote for him, more so.

This is the unedited quote.  If one edits a quote it should, in some way, be identified. ::oldman::

Newt is a whore using the debates to increase his value. ...

I'm not saying you said this but your comment makes me ask this. ...

What makes Ron Paul any more/less a whore than Newt?  They have the same chance of becoming President.  They also have their own reasons for wanting to take part in the process.  

Precisely, they do have different reasons, however; gNewt, is an unelectable whore as illustrated in the original post.  No Republican candidate could
overcome his baggage. Ron Paul is unelectable, in my opinion, however; he is not there on a self promotional tour, he is running for president because he sincerely wants to be president. Ron Paul is not a whore, therefore his appearance is not scandalous.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »