Author Topic: U.S. Could Withhold Funds For U.N. Agency After Vote to Grant Membership to Pale  (Read 1816 times)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
U.S. Could Withhold Funds For U.N. Agency After Vote to Grant Membership to Palestinians

Published October 31, 2011

FoxNews.com
"The acceptance of the Palestinian mission into the U.N.'s cultural and educational agency could result in backlash from Washington, which is required by law to cut off funding to the agency if a Palestinian Liberation Organization is granted membership in any group at the international body.

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization voted 107-14 with 52 abstentions on Monday granting Palestinians full membership in the organization. The U.S. voted against the nomination. Eighty-one votes of the 173 UNESCO members were needed for full membership to be approved.

"Long Live Palestine!" one delegate reportedly shouted in French at the meeting.

The U.S. funds about 22 percent of UNESCO's budget, or roughly $80 million annually.

The State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment, though U.S. ambassador to UNESCO David Killion reportedly said the vote will "complicate" U.S. efforts to support the group.

Former U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. John Bolton said the vote signals weakness in U.S. diplomacy..

"So ineffective was Obama administration diplomacy, that France voted in favor of Palestinian membership, and Britain and Japan abstained. U.S. statutes, dating from 1990, now require a full cutoff of U.S. funding, which Congress should insist occur immediately. Should the administration seek changes in the applicable statutory provisions that would eliminate or weaken the funding cutoff, Congress should reject them," Bolton said."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/31/us-could-withhold-funds-to-un-agency-after-vote-to-grant-membership-to/#ixzz1cNJ6AFLT

Barack Obama should get another Nobel Peace Prize for this slight of hand trick. No Body surely believes his speech earlier in the year about Israel moving back to 1967 borders didn't help this cause? Give Obama the Pink Slip on this boondoggle because he owns it, lock, stock, and barrel!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Talk about low-hanging fruit, this one seems a no-brainer.

Having said that I guess I expect the Repub's to yet again screw the pooch.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular

Good thing Obama has that great big huge purple lipped mouth. He can warn the U.N. on one side, then cheer them on with the other.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Good thing Obama has that great big huge purple lipped mouth. He can warn the U.N. on one side, then cheer them on with the other.

Yeah, that's about it...

::)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
uote]

That and ending direct aid to the P.A. would certainly get their attention .

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero

Good thing Obama has that great big huge purple lipped mouth.

You noticed those too , eh ?

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular

He would a good cast member in one of those Zombie Movies. Wouldn't require any makeup!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
There's talk about defunding UNESCO again?  Well, what's the holdup?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero

He would a good cast member in one of those Zombie Movies. Wouldn't require any makeup!

Blue gums and all !

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
There's talk about defunding UNESCO again?  Well, what's the holdup?

Bleeding heart libs in Congress.........as usual. Funding should have been cut years ago along with an eviction notice.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
Well this time there is a LAW on the books that says we will not fund an Organization that recognizes Palestine. Now if you believe ObaMao will follow the law of the land I've got some swampland in Colorado for sale all you have to do is drain it and it's all downhill!
 ::foilhathelicopter:: ::cussing::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline BMG

• Established Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/palestinianauthority/8859839/Unesco-gives-Palestinians-full-membership.html

Unesco, the United Nations' cultural agency, has decided to give the Palestinians full membership of the body, in a vote that will boost their bid for recognition as a state at the UN.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APNEWSALERT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-10-31-13-13-49

WASHINGTON (AP) -- US says it is cutting off funding for UNESCO because of Palestinian membership vote.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
Now I wonder if Obama's next move is against Taiwan? To appease China, stop protecting Taiwan. If I am correct Barack Obama is trying to dismantle our way of Government, one brick at a time!

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Now I wonder if Obama's next move is against Taiwan? To appease China, stop protecting Taiwan. If I am correct Barack Obama is trying to dismantle our way of Government, one brick at a time!

You know ... After some thought , I wouldn't put it past Stymie to swap Taiwan for some of our paper being held by Red China . Just a straight forward business deal ... right ?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

You know ... After some thought , I wouldn't put it past Stymie to swap Taiwan for some of our paper being held by Red China . Just a straight forward business deal ... right ?

Yeah, and he's real familiar with the game of "fvck your buddy"!

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular

Yeah, and he's real familiar with the game of "fvck your buddy"!

Sort of the revised 1937 taffy pull of Czechoslovakia. Remember how that turned out? ::speechless::