Author Topic: Cyber World War  (Read 754 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Cyber World War
« on: November 01, 2011, 08:01:58 PM »
http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16101158

A leading internet security expert has warned that a cyber terrorist attack with "catastrophic consequences" looked increasingly likely in a world already in a state of near cyber war.

Eugene Kaspersky is not given to easy hyperbole. But the Russian maths genius who founded an internet security empire with a global reach, clutched at his thick mop of hair with both hands.

"I don't want to speak about it. I don't even want to think about it," he said.

"But we are close, very close, to cyber terrorism. Perhaps already the criminals have sold their skills to the terrorists - and then...oh, God."

Speaking privately at the London Cyber Conference, Kaspersky told Sky that he believed that cyber terrorism was the biggest immediate threat to have emerged to confront nations as diverse as China and the US.

"There is already cyber espionage, cyber crime, hacktivisim (when activists attack networks for political ends) soon we will be facing cyber terrorism," he said.

Of course this is coming from Eugene Kaspersky - the guy who created Kaspersky anti-virus software so he isn't exactly impartial (I wonder how much this story will improve his profits?). Still, warnings like this have been popping up these last few years. Of course there is a school of thought out there that government(s) are floating all of this as fear-mongering in order to mold public opinion so that government(s) can more easily muzzle the internet (through such vehicles as the 'fairness doctrine' and the 'internet kill switch' that the democrats were pushing for last year, etc).
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

charlesoakwood

Re: Cyber World War
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:18:58 PM »

Stuxnet worm to them and the Chinese hacking into the Pentagon for starters.