Author Topic: Cain-Gingrich debate  (Read 2967 times)

charlesoakwood

Cain-Gingrich debate
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:42:03 AM »

Link

Lincoln-Douglas style debate that Herman Cain and Newt Gingrich agreed to have in Texas this coming Saturday evening. Technically, it's a fundraiser for the Texas Tea Party Patriot PAC.
The C-SPAN network has just informed us here at Investor's Business Daily that it will, indeed, broadcast the entire Cain-Gingrich Lincoln-Douglas debate nationally Saturday evening on its main channel, plus C-SPAN Radio and live-stream it at c-span.org. Starting time is 5 p.m. Pacific, 8 p.m. Eastern.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Cain-Gingrich debate
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:45:51 AM »
Can't wait to watch this. Not sure I can watch it live, or be here for a live-blog on Saturday night until I see what's going on with the family, but if I can watch and blog live, I sure will.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »
The Discouraged Right, with few to many options, may need to take a long hard look at this. These two may be our best options. I feel Herman Cain is capable of a monumental slip up in a debate with Obama. Newt Gingrich, the smartest man in the room on all occasions is getting more and more attractive to me. First, we have to save our Country then worry about the rest at a later date.

Gingrich offers the best option for that at this time. Morality? At this time and this place hardly matters when dealing with the one Person who may be able to save us. Newt Gingrich baggage and all, is looking more like Abraham Lincoln everyday.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »
I would suspect that Newt would mop the ground up with Herman
But, they probably thought Douglass would do the same to Lincoln

JPH, Newt is a technocrat who sees all solutions in government. Government just needs to do it's job better

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:40:26 AM »

IIRC the debate subject will be restricted to entitlements.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »
Can Gingrich break through?

"That scenario may be a long-shot, but no one should rule it out. After Thursday’s education session, Mr. Gingrich mentioned that in a conventional year he might not get that second look. But this year, voters are worried enough about the condition and direction of the country that they are willing to consider someone with proposals that are bolder than the political norm. Mr. Gingrich must still overcome the perception that he’s been around too long, as well as his habit of talking himself into trouble (recall his criticism of Paul Ryan’s Medicare plan). He’ll need more money too. But in a year when GOP voters are still searching for someone who can go head-to-head with President Obama, don’t be surprised if Mr. Gingrich gets another turn in the spotlight."

Read the Article

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204528204577011840475430080.html?mod=rss_opinion_main

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 11:52:31 AM »
The Discouraged Right, with few to many options, may need to take a long hard look at this. These two may be our best options. I feel Herman Cain is capable of a monumental slip up in a debate with Obama. Newt Gingrich, the smartest man in the room on all occasions is getting more and more attractive to me. First, we have to save our Country then worry about the rest at a later date.

Gingrich offers the best option for that at this time. Morality? At this time and this place hardly matters when dealing with the one Person who may be able to save us. Newt Gingrich baggage and all, is looking more like Abraham Lincoln everyday.

Okay, now think back to Newtie and Nancy sittin' on the couch ...  see if that doesn't give you an ouch.  ;D
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 11:55:58 AM »

Okay, now think back to Newtie and Nancy sittin' on the couch ...  see if that doesn't give you an ouch.  ;D

Oh yes, I agree but, that was way before we ran out of good Candidates to run against the Beast. Can't throw firecrackers at a Battleship, and Newt, baggage and all is a Battleship!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »

Or the cock-sure tone in his voice when he labeled Paul Ryan's budget "Right-wing social engineering", equating it to "Left-wing social engineering", and dismissing Ryan's budget as something the American people don't want - at just the moment the budget needed support from conservative thinkers - AND at just the moment the nation needs SOME kind of bold, out of the box thinking to solve our problems. Gingrich acted as a saboteur of a conservative solution to the budget crisis.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 12:03:54 PM »

Oh yes, I agree but, that was way before we ran out of good Candidates to run against the Beast. Can't throw firecrackers at a Battleship, and Newt, baggage and all is a Battleship!

Yes, he is indeed a Battleship in many respects, but one:  a Battleship does not turn on a dime.  Newt does, has, and will.  Taking note of IDP's points, I'd rather not have this particular Battleship turn on us and our goals.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 12:31:29 PM »
What Pan said. We've suffered McCain turning the weight of his history and office against conservatism. Imagine Gingrich's intellect turned against conservatism.

You KNOW it would happen too. Sure as the sun rises, Newt would go for some "comprehensive" solution to something.

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 12:54:13 PM »
He would go for a comprehensive solution to everything.
He is an avid acolyte of Alvin Toffler and his books
especially, "Future Shock".

http://www.amazon.com/Future-Shock-Alvin-Toffler/dp/0553277375
Toffler's main concern is with the recognition that while a human being's capacity to adjust physically, psychologically, and socially to this torrent of change is finite and quite limited, the pace of change is increasing and expanding into more and more areas of individuals' lives.

gNewt thinks he is the man to lead
us through this torrential trauma.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 01:04:20 PM »
... the pace of change is increasing and expanding into more and more areas of individuals' lives.

Leading the Newts to believe government must do so as well.

I'm aggravated at continually being misunderestimated.

Good find, CO.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 07:23:46 AM »
Almost forgot about Toffler, good reminder CO.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 06:13:16 PM »

Just a bump.  Don't know if it's CSPAN I or II.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 07:16:23 PM »

Just a bump.  Don't know if it's CSPAN I or II.

I just set tivo up so I can watch it later. Newt will probably clean his clock,good for Newt Bad for Cain.I hope they play it clean.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 08:31:38 PM »

Cain to Newt:  If you were vice president what assignment would
                      want the president to give you?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 08:52:34 PM »
I thought it was a worthwhile endeavor. The audio SUCKED. Aside from that they both put out some pretty bold ideas for entitlement reform - a lot of it re-affirmation of conservative ideas that have been floated before, but good ideas nonetheless, that have been derailed and demagogued by the Left until dead.

Does it seem like these two are trying to get people to think of them in tandem?

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 01:35:22 AM »
Over at HotAir the opinion is decisive that Gingrich was the overwhelming winner. A reader poll gave it to Newt 67% to Cain's 14%

Food for thought.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.