Author Topic: Cain-Gingrich debate  (Read 2966 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Re: Cain-Gingrich debate
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 07:27:18 AM »
True that Trap - but also in the opinion section on HotAir there were questions about if/when Newt would go all RINO or Establishment on us as he has done in the past. He's talking a good game these days...but he has done that before too, and then turned his back. So...will he do that again? Is that something that would have to be worried about with Cain? Questions that need answers, but unfortunately those answers can only be borne out over time or with a crystal ball...
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 07:47:02 AM »
Newt probably could be the most educated, most knowledgeble, best speaker, best debater,

However,

He is not a genuine conservative.

I would rather have an inexperienced conservative that will make the best decisions to protect our country from a conservative view point than another slick talking back stabbing RINO like McCain.

In the debates, I look for policies not debating skills. And in the case of known RINOs like Newt, I don't care what his answers are, because as far as I'm concerned, he might as well not even be in the race.

MyOpinion == $0.02 and no coffee.

TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 08:17:56 AM »
  I have to wait till 6.30 tonight because CSpan saw fit to cut the last hour of it by adding crap to the time that was to be the debate and nothing else. So I only got to see the first half hour,Bastards.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 08:52:51 AM »
Gingrich's vast knowledge and his seemingly at-will tap into it is something to behold. I've always known he was a smart ideas guy, but I've never seen him in action like he has been as a candidate. I've never witnessed him running for any office.

I have been very critical of his transgressions against conservatism, and his complete tone-deafness in certain instances. One could argue who's more conservative between Newt and Herman Cain, or between Newt and any of the other candidates for that matter. But one thing is absolutely crystal clear in my mind now. Newt Gingrich has forgotten more about conservative principles and policy than any other of the candidates will ever know, save perhaps Ron Paul. The question now is whether he would govern according to those principles, or if he would be striking "grand bargains" all over the place, and formulating "comprehensive solutions" to the dire problems we face. My gut tells me we may end up very disappointed in regards to some very important issues, like illegal immigration, health care, and entitlements.

We don't need comprehensive; we need austere. We don't need grand bargains; we need marginalization of the Left. I like Newt's focus on defeating Obama. But I need some kind of sign from him that he understands that the problem goes far deeper than Obama or setting back the liberal cause for an election cycle or two.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 01:30:26 PM »

IDP, please see:
« Reply #21 on: Today at 07:47:02 AM »
http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,3692.msg41442.html#msg41442

gNewt is brilliant, he is so brilliant he can argue either side of a point
with equal ferver.  He is also undisciplined and cannot be trusted
to carry forth tommorrow what he said today and will defend the
change with a skill that would astonish Franz Mesmer.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2011, 02:14:50 AM »

Marco Rubio: GOP Must Be the ‘Pro-Legal Immigration Party’

Video