Author Topic: 40 House Republicans offer Super Committee tax increases  (Read 881 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
40 House Republicans offer Super Committee tax increases
« on: November 03, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »
 ::facepalm::

A group of 40 House Republicans for the first time Wednesday encouraged Congress’s deficit reduction committee to explore new revenue as part of a broad deal that would make a major dent in the nation’s debt, joining 60 Democrats in a rare bipartisan effort to urge the “supercommittee” to reach a big deal that could also include entitlement cuts.

Rep. Cynthia M. Lummis (R-Wyo.), a member of the conservative Republican Study Group, said the intent was to compel the supercommittee to craft a strategy “so big, so comprehensive, so inclusive that any great statesman or stateswoman could hardly resist voting for it.”

Part of Wednesday’s discussion appeared to be whether to boost the tax offer by proposing to end some corporate subsidies such as tax breaks for oil and gas companies.

And several Republicans who signed the letter were careful to note they were not endorsing a net tax increase — but rather a broad rewrite of the tax code that might close loopholes and lower rates, while still producing more government revenue.

There's the hated "c" word, IDP.

Oil and gas companies get the same tax breaks as other industries; now the Republicans are willing to discriminate against them using the tax code.

Reducing the deficit and reforming the tax code should not be smushed into one "sweeping, comprehensive" bill; there's too much opportunity for skullduggery.

Link

H/T HotAir
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Re: 40 House Republicans offer Super Committee tax increases
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 02:34:41 PM »

"Oil and gas companies get the same tax breaks as other industries;..."

Heard on Fox, they have fewer tax breaks.  The wind-fall profit thingy
comes to mind.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 02:40:25 PM »

"Oil and gas companies get the same tax breaks as other industries;..."

Heard on Fox, they have fewer tax breaks.  The wind-fall profit thingy
comes to mind.

Even worse, then.   ::angry::   ::gaah::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 02:46:31 PM »
The believe that because people are not storming townhall meetings that the anger against Republican liberals has waned. If they want to destroy the GOP for good, cooperate with Democrats on increasing taxes. Combine that with the likelihood of a Mitt Romney candidacy, and you'll be lucky if you hold the house.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 03:28:24 PM »
broad deal that would make a major dent in the nation’s debt

Who's the J-School retard that came up with that line?

Rosalind S. Helderman and Lori Montgomery.  Two airheads and they still couldn't come up with the combined IQ to handle the difference between debt and deficits.

Yes, dumb@$$'.  Go ahead and sign onto tax increases that will still result in upwards of $10 trillion in debt over the next decade. 

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
House Speaker John Boehner shows his true colors
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 07:09:54 PM »
House Speaker John Boehner addressed one of the biggest sticking points for the 12 member Congressional "supercommittee" today, acknowledging that any bipartisan agreement will need to include some new tax revenue.

"I think there is room for revenues, but I think there clearly is a limit to the amount of revenues that are available," Boehner told reporters.

The comment was significant because Boehner and other Republican leaders have repeatedly insisted that tax increases are off the table, and most Republicans in the House and Senate have signed a "taxpayer protection pledge" vowing not to raise taxes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57318109-503544/boehner-debt-deal-will-include-new-tax-revenues/

Friggin' RINO! We need to exterminate all of them!!! ::rockets::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: House Speaker John Boehner shows his true colors
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 07:50:25 PM »
House Speaker John Boehner addressed one of the biggest sticking points for the 12 member Congressional "supercommittee" today, acknowledging that any bipartisan agreement will need to include some new tax revenue.

"I think there is room for revenues, but I think there clearly is a limit to the amount of revenues that are available," Boehner told reporters.

The comment was significant because Boehner and other Republican leaders have repeatedly insisted that tax increases are off the table, and most Republicans in the House and Senate have signed a "taxpayer protection pledge" vowing not to raise taxes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57318109-503544/boehner-debt-deal-will-include-new-tax-revenues/

Friggin' RINO! We need to exterminate all of them!!! ::rockets::

here's an idea jonboy.......I'll support you passing a plate thru the halls of congress and the senate. Other than that, no increased taxes...remember? you have a spending problem.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 08:07:15 PM »

If he has an opponent this season I'll gladly contribute to the
revenue of his opponent's coffer.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »
Merging this thread.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 07:17:26 AM »
I H8  the "C" word!  It guarantees proglodytes get the upper hand!  ALWAYS!

::bashing::

::gaah::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.