Author Topic: More union opportunism during crisis  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
More union opportunism during crisis
« on: March 06, 2011, 04:22:48 PM »
The workers of the Hawaiian Electric Company have walked off the job in a contract dispute, leaving the company to struggle with storm damaged lines across the island of Oahu. The company was forced to use managers and outside contractors to repair the storm damage, dramatically slowing the restoration of power to affected homes and businesses.

Oh, the source of the contract dispute? Management wanted to raise the age of retirement with full benefits from 60 to 62.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/20110305_heco_strike_1300_workers_walk_off_the_job_amid_outages.html

PS - If I were management, I'd be asking these outside contractors if they might be interested in a good full time job with full benefit retirement when they turn 62 :)
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: More union opportunism during crisis
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:43:39 PM »
The comments are slaying the union thugs. Bad day in Black Rock  :D

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 04:55:57 AM »
The big question here is whether the unions will figure out that these kinds of anti-public tactics work or will continue to errode their image and influence . The old tactics of walk-outs and slow-downs among essential service workers are as dead as the Dodo bird and rightfully so . Public srevice union members who engage in activities which threaten the general welfare should be subject to summary discharge and immediate replacement ( remember the air traffic controllers ) .

Right now the United States is facing enough crises around the world and here at home which are either extraordinarily complicated or completely beyond out power to control . But the dilitorious actions of public service unions isn't one of them .

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »
The big question here is whether the unions will figure out that these kinds of anti-public tactics work or will continue to errode their image and influence . The old tactics of walk-outs and slow-downs among essential service workers are as dead as the Dodo bird and rightfully so . Public srevice union members who engage in activities which threaten the general welfare should be subject to summary discharge and immediate replacement ( remember the air traffic controllers ) .

Right now the United States is facing enough crises around the world and here at home which are either extraordinarily complicated or completely beyond out power to control . But the dilitorious actions of public service unions isn't one of them .

I doubt the union member or its leaders understand the anti public sentiment. Remember where they get their info.

They cling to their antiquated system....They will cling to thier antiquated tactics.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 05:20:30 PM »
Nothing says, "We're out to win hearts and minds in the court of public opinion" like refusing to get basic utilities up and running after a damaging storm.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson