Author Topic: An Ounce of Preparation is Worth a Pound of C4  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
An Ounce of Preparation is Worth a Pound of C4
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:16:24 PM »
** If this is in the wrong area, please relocated it. **

This didn't quite fit into the End of the World thread (or at least I didn't think so.. but if admins think so; please move it over there.

-------------------------------------

I've been doing about 1 1/2 years of searching, networking, preparing and praying on trying to lay out a usable plan for me and my family here in the Arizona desert valley if "things hit the fan".

I've been befriending (genuine, not manipulative) experienced people of similar viewpoints.  One of them is an older gentleman with a great deal of life experiences and wisdom.  He's lived in the desert his entire life and can really survive.  In fact, he's on a search and rescue team for the desert mountains here, he's very well in shape for an old fella and he knows everyone, knows every place, knows every mountain path, water source, etc.

He's also very good friends with a Navy Seal.  My friend has been sharing me emails (information) from the Navy Seal for some time and likewise my friend has been sending some of my blog entries to the Navy Seal to read.  Well....

The Navy seal has invited my friend to come over to his 'place' to show him what he's got set up for he and his other Navy Seal friends for when things... in his own words "Turn into marshal law".  He has asked my friend to bring me along.  My friend was a little surprised that his Navy Seal friend thought it might actually go that far and asked him quite pointedly... the Navy Seal says that he has a great many friends quite high up in the government and they all are basically preparing for it.  They don't 'think' Obama would push for it.. they see him actually preparing for it and planning on it.

So.... My great concern for my family to be taken care of and the fears of what my government are turning into are both calmed and alarmed (in that order).

Wish me luck.. we go to meet him and his 'set up' on Wednesday after I get out of Trigonometry class as the college.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Re: An Ounce of Preparation is Worth a Pound of C4
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 06:22:53 PM »
Be sure to let us know how the visit goes!  ::thumbsup::

...and tell him (them) thanks for their service while you're there!
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 06:24:14 PM »
I have been thinking Wyoming, wide open spaces, and the least populated State in the Union. Plus plenty of high area if need be. Arizona is to close to Mexico. If the thing hit the fan, the Mexicans would storm the borders like Bee's to honey!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 06:34:19 PM »

Del, you live so far out in the boonies the only
thing you have to worry about is the Cartelistas.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:11:04 AM »
A defensible position, access to food and water and family & friends to rely on will go a long way and trumps location, unless the latter is in a urban environment, then it gets dicey...not too many families will be equipped to hold of thousands of angry, frightened and starving humans.  As in any equation it all comes down to evening the odds or swinging them into your favor.

It will be interesting to hear what comes out of your meeting.  I think I can guess some of it, but it will be good hearing first hand.  There is one question I am interesting in hearing an answer, but it may come up in your meeting so I will patiently await your update.

Good luck and thank the young man for his service, from all of us here at IAL!

::USA::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:20:58 AM »
I have been thinking Wyoming, wide open spaces, and the least populated State in the Union. Plus plenty of high area if need be. Arizona is to close to Mexico. If the thing hit the fan, the Mexicans would storm the borders like Bee's to honey!

Oh, I hear you.  It's not my perfect place to be when O'Bummer declares martial law and suspends all your freedoms and constitutional rights and they show up to disarm you with the SWAT team.  I agree with the Mexico issue and with the Country being 'distracted' they'll come across the border by the 10's of thousands a week (oh.. I guess they're already doing that).  Law enforcement will be so overloaded with revolt from within that the heavily armed Mexican drug/human smuggling folks will just start taking over homes/cars/trucks at gun-point (real easy after the law enforcement disarm us anyway).

We're already being invaded by California.  California is in such desparate need that they're flooding over the State border into Arizona for years now.  Which sort of SUCKS.  You get these way left hippie communists moving in at such huge numbers that your 'once very conservative State' starts shifting more and more like California the more of them that move here (voter numbers for their side moving from 1% to much higher at elections).

Del, you live so far out in the boonies the only thing you have to worry about is the Cartelistas.

I found out the guy is more centrally located than I am.  Where I'm 40-60 minutes from Downtown Phoenix, he's more like 20 minutes away.

A defensible position, access to food and water and family & friends to rely on will go a long way and trumps location, unless the latter is in a urban environment, then it gets dicey...not too many families will be equipped to hold of thousands of angry, frightened and starving humans.  As in any equation it all comes down to evening the odds or swinging them into your favor.

It will be interesting to hear what comes out of your meeting.  I think I can guess some of it, but it will be good hearing first hand.  There is one question I am interesting in hearing an answer, but it may come up in your meeting so I will patiently await your update.

Good luck and thank the young man for his service, from all of us here at IAL!

::USA::

The real stinker is water here.  If that ever gets cut off, millions will just plain die.  God did not intend for humans to live here in the summer.  Even the indians here planted crops in the spring and then left and headed up into the mountains for the summer.  They'd come back to harvest whatever grew in the fall and then spend the winter in the valley.  The ultimate summer home/cottage setup.  The winters are cold and harsh in the mountains but only 70's here in the valley.  In the summer it's 115 here in the valley and only 80-90 in the mountains.

I found out from my friend this morning that the guy has installed big security doors in his house, has guns all about his home loaded, etc.  I also found out he's about 65 years old but he's fit like a 20 year old.  He swims several miles a week, etc.  Also that he was from Michigan (went to Michigan State and was on their Swim Team before he went into the Navy Seals.)(I was from Michigan: small world thing).

I'd like to know what your question is.

I'll be sure to thank him for his service.. absolutely.

But back to the question(s) I really want to go into this prepared.  I not only think it may be a 'resume' sort of an 'interview' where I am going to sell myself on what I could bring to the group (electrical, plumbing, water/sewer treatment, security training, civil engineering, hunting, etc, etc).. but I also want to -interview- them too.  I don't want to be signing up with some off the wall cult group. :)

What are some good things to look out for and ask about?

Some I want to learn about are:

1.  What is the intent?  Are you stay in place and secure yourself and your family and just want to be left alone?  Or... are you organizing with other 'cells' (for lack of a better word) to actually take action against the new dictator/government?

2.  At what point are you making 'the call'?  That you are deciding that now is the time to not show up for work, get your gear and your family and show up at the 'bunker'.  What are the parameters that make that decision?   Do you wait for your freedom of speech to be declared suspended?  Do you wait for curfews?  Do you wait for road checkpoints?  Do you wait for disarmament to have started?  What are the triggers?

3.  How do we communicate (procedures) for when the internet is shut down and phones (cells) are disabled for everyone except law enforcement?

4.  Are we keeping in our individual homes and just communicating?  Or are we getting up and getting out of the valley and heading for Montana, etc?  (Him installing security doors makes me think he plans on setting up base at his house and not leaving).

---------------

I still need to make my own plans involving all these things.  I have a daughter with Type 1 diabetes and she will literally die if I decide to 'go off the grid' after she's run out of insulin.  So here I am left with a decision... so I show up to work at the drinking water plant (which is a place the new dictator and his/her government will protect with law enforcement/military) and continue to do my job here?  Move my family into the facility to live?  Or do I just not show up to work one day?

In the same concept of work... I don't think I'd pass the background check anymore for someone they want to be running their drinking water plant.  I very much speak out against what our government has become, I own/read the Bible regularly and I get about 35 more checkmarks (failing) their checklist of the 40 things or so they look at to see if you are not a terrorist.  The huge things that make me think they will just replace me at work (and ship me off to a reeducation camp) is I own guns, read the Bible, speak out against the current government and keep talking about this thing called the Constitution and limited government.

So what do I do?  I don't know.  I've got the 'normal' wife that can't face reality and thinks -everything will be just fine, just trust Jesus-.  Which she has a point.  But I don't want to be that Jew on the training heading to the gas chamber that keeps telling my family, 'it can't get any worse than this'... all the way into the gas chamber.

Bah.... stress.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
I think those are all very excellent questions and as good a place to start as any.  We've all encountered the reluctant family member when discussing prep's for the unthinkable.  My sister-in-law just freaks out whenever we discuss things and what our next steps are.  She throws up her hands and says she'll just stay in the house and pretend all is OK.  I think my brother will convince her otherwise when the time comes.  Discussing this stuff often brings up topics most people just don't want to deal with, but you just plow ahead as best you can.  Being a frequent visitor to Arizona in the past I fully appreciate the water issue.  Outside of acquiring a hideout in the mountains where there is more rain/snow you are left with few options beyond what you have stored.  After deciding to hunker down or have a bugout spot, all plans have to flow toward that end.  Doing what is possible and workling up to what is optimal (and usually more expensive) is about the best way to go, few people have the financial resources to front load their prepping.  If you look through the TEOTWAWKI section you will see a lot of info posted.  Don't let it overwhelm you.  Expose yourself to the info, follow the links (like Survival Blog) and let things percolate in your mind, write down everything you think you would like or need, then prioritize by urgency/affordability and go about executing your plan.  You'll discover pretty quickly priorities will shift and specific items/projects will ebb & flow.  Just keep momentum going and that's about as much as anyone can be expected to do.  As for work I'll only offer my opinion...if I see things looking squirrely and moving a lot faster than anticipated, I (cough) feel an illness coming on.  If moving freaky fast and is indelibly the end, I'm not worrying about work, I'm hauling butt.  As for my "question", regardless if this fella is still connected with other ex-military types or not, I am curious as to thoughts on how the SHTF will affect the services and what their response might be given the possible scenarios.  I have my suspicions it could be fractured and chaotic, so predicting what would actually happen might be tough for anyone.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 11:53:37 AM »
Discussing this stuff often brings up topics most people just don't want to deal with, but you just plow ahead as best you can.

Boy!  Can it ever!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »
Wolverines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 01:04:51 PM »
Wolverines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which was awesome in college when I first saw that movie... growing up and at school in Michigan.

I've even got a picture of me some place holding onto two Winchester lever action .30-.30's on my hips and held outward with each hand.. leaning back like I'm looking up at a Soviet Hind helecopter.. even have the scarf around my neck.

Muhahaha!

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 05:01:32 PM »
Good luck with your trip Del I would suggest using your eyes and ears more than your mouth. ( Seems to work better for me, But I've been known to tell people what I think before I do.)
And you can add my thanks for his/thiers service from an Old Jar-head.
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 08:31:18 PM »

Oh, I hear you.  It's not my perfect place to be when O'Bummer declares martial law and suspends all your freedoms and constitutional rights and they show up to disarm you with the SWAT team.  I agree with the Mexico issue and with the Country being 'distracted' they'll come across the border by the 10's of thousands a week (oh.. I guess they're already doing that).  Law enforcement will be so overloaded with revolt from within that the heavily armed Mexican drug/human smuggling folks will just start taking over homes/cars/trucks at gun-point (real easy after the law enforcement disarm us anyway).

Wyoming has much to recommend it. I hope you like wind. Lots of wind. We eliminated  it for this reason ( but know prepped  people there if we had to bug out and make for it)  But WY has a lot of like minded people. they are independent, they own firearms, and the state has huge energy reserves.

However AZ might not be so bad.  If America is under martial law there is a strong incentive to NOT come here. You will be shot instead of being sent back home, and if no one can afford the drugs, why would you bring them across?  Also much of AZ environment  has a disparate impact - if you know how to survive there, you can. If you don't, you die. That will cut down on the number of refugees and other rift raft that you need to deal with if things get bad.  Same with the mountain valley Michelle and I are planning to use - extreme cold and altitude have advantages if you are prepared for them and others aren't.

A defensible position, access to food and water and family & friends to rely on will go a long way and trumps location

I can't agree with this more. You need like minded people- I don't care how bass ass you are, one bought of a bad flu and you will be taken out as easily as a new born babe, and maybe just be the disease.  You need others. Other skills. Other view points. Other experiences. Diversity is the key to survival. A lone wolf WILL get picked off eventually. If you have the basics and enough people looters will move on to find easier targets. 

[/quote]

1.  What is the intent?  Are you stay in place and secure yourself and your family and just want to be left alone?  Or... are you organizing with other 'cells' (for lack of a better word) to actually take action against the new dictator/government?[/quote]

In a total break down situation, you and your group must constantly be trying to expend. If you don't you will be conquered  or wiped out by those who do. However, I don't expect total breakdown. You may end up with a"red Dawn" situation where a full on civil war does start, but again, I won't hold my breath for that situation.  I am using Argentina as my model.  Martial law in some places, not in other, and not all of the time. General increase in crime, and supply chain problems. Having people you can rely on is going to be more important than having identical reactions to different situations.

2.  At what point are you making 'the call'?  That you are deciding that now is the time to not show up for work, get your gear and your family and show up at the 'bunker'.  What are the parameters that make that decision?   Do you wait for your freedom of speech to be declared suspended?  Do you wait for curfews?  Do you wait for road checkpoints?  Do you wait for disarmament to have started?  What are the triggers?

If you can, move now. I "work from home" and we have been spending significant  portions of the week at the retreat. If telecommuting is an option, pursue it. If not, I suspect, you will just know, just like you just know when you met the woman who will be your wife. God will guide you. Just listen.  But if you want a defined trigger, I would wait till the riots are in full swing and they are talking about the need for curfews/martial law. This will happen in certain cities ( which may or may not include yours)  If you hear about road blocks, find out what is needed to pass them and get out. Better yet, find a back route that is unlikely to include passing through them. Yeah 25 mph on a dirt road might not be the fastest way, but they are unlikely to waste resources patrolling them, relying instead on the sheep herd/mentality.

3.  How do we communicate (procedures) for when the internet is shut down and phones (cells) are disabled for everyone except law enforcement?
Get a radio  license and start learning.  Software already exists that allows your router to form a mesh with other wireless routers.. I suspect you will see this software proliferate if the internet is shut down- most 4G phones are cable of becoming wireless routers as well.  Within an urban area I doubt communication can be cut off. As we saw with the Arab Spring, dial ups were set up elsewhere to let people call France etc and find out what was going on. You will no be watching netflix, but world media should still be accessible.  "You can't stop the signal Mal"

4.  Are we keeping in our individual homes and just communicating?  Or are we getting up and getting out of the valley and heading for Montana, etc?  (Him installing security doors makes me think he plans on setting up base at his house and not leaving).

Never say never. Contingency plans are for certain situations. Ever see Tremors? Burt didn't prepare for evac and underground monsters. One  Vehicle? Really?
With that said, bug out is always a desperate measure. Prepping requires stuff and a place to put it. Unless you own a semi, or just plan to be mobile as your plan, you will not get up and leave your prep without a dang good reason to do so.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »
Discussing this stuff often brings up topics most people just don't want to deal with, but you just plow ahead as best you can.

Boy!  Can it ever!

Ever the fun one, I feel compelled to mention that you should be getting comfortable with the idea of writing some people off.  If you are a millionaire and can afford to lay in provisions and make room for those  you "hope" will be joining  you when they realize the "change" is unavoidable, more power to you.  If, on the other hand, you have limited resources,  realize you may need to cut them loose or be dragged to the bottom with them.  Some of my friends have already started grieving for family they will not be able to save because they will refuse to acknowledge the severity of the problem till its too late ( if then!)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »

Boy!  Can it ever!

Ever the fun one, I feel compelled to mention that you should be getting comfortable with the idea of writing some people off.  If you are a millionaire and can afford to lay in provisions and make room for those  you "hope" will be joining  you when they realize the "change" is unavoidable, more power to you.  If, on the other hand, you have limited resources,  realize you may need to cut them loose or be dragged to the bottom with them.  Some of my friends have already started grieving for family they will not be able to save because they will refuse to acknowledge the severity of the problem till its too late ( if then!)

"Ever the fun one"?  The fun is over; the serious will survive and not at all at that.  The written-off list grows ever longer -- I guess I'm not all that persuasive -- and will be revised only upon tardy but extreme action from the late waker-uppers, and they best bring their resources with 'em.

My Mother; I weep.  Power out twice in three months, in an area where the power hardly ever fails, and I walked her through the questions:  what happens, Ma?  "We'll go to a hotel".  What happens if you wait too long and there are no hotel rooms?  "The gas station around the corner has a diesel generator".  What happens if/when the diesel runs out?  "I ..... I .... I'm too tired to think about this now".  Ok, Ma.

I have no idea how to gradually approach the neighbors about this now; one is an avowed Obama supporter but lives contrary to his political leanings, the other shined me on when I broached preparing for an epidemic type situation.  I made a tentative move toward one other who mocks canning -- he's got his MRATS and dried food; no gardening -- and I don't see how to get there from here.  I'm not leaving because we've got our sh*t in order -- don't know WHERE ELSE TO GO; Gunsmith is still working -- and will continue in that vein.  What I am hoping is if TSHTF, these people can, by necessity, be organized into a working community.  Am I a fool?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »

Predicting how people will react in an extremely stressful situation,
there's probably a field manual for that.  If you are lucky MRATS will
be a good neighbor and the other two will either leave or succumb.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 09:58:04 PM »
What I am hoping is if TSHTF, these people can, by necessity, be organized into a working community.  Am I a fool?

Even if you were. do you have a choice? Do they?  I have a friend who thinks the hopelophobe liberals won't pick up guns. I suspect they will get over their fear of firearms right quick if their survival requires it, and the same will probably be true of your neighbors. (Back to tremors "I guess we can't make fun of Burt's lifestyle anymore" )   The real problem is that they won't have prepped and will want to rely on you and your stores.  

As far as your Obama voting neighbor, most liberals don't  live according  to their beliefs- their beliefs are something to be foisted on someone else by force.  Or are you saying he is an old-school, Kennedy sort of Democrat  who just hasn't clued into what the Dems have become?  If the latter,  he is fine in your survival group, but he won't prep. If the former, its probably best if he meets with an accident when the time comes.

Why would anyone mock canning? What does he think his MREs and Dried food are if not high-tech canning?

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 09:58:30 PM »

Predicting how people will react in an extremely stressful situation,
there's probably a field manual for that.  If you are lucky MRATS will
be a good neighbor and the other two will either leave or succumb.

My instinctual thoughts as well.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »
Am I a fool?

Hardly.

There ain't no "one size fits all" solution (even if we could accurately and definitively define the problem). We actively differentiate ourselves from 90+% of our fellows Americans because we at least take a stab at preparing for conflagration and calamity.

Everyone has basic necessities to accommodate and individual needs to fulfill.

(I just hope the liquor holds out)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 10:15:31 PM »
What I am hoping is if TSHTF, these people can, by necessity, be organized into a working community.  Am I a fool?

Even if you were. do you have a choice? Do they?  I have a friend who thinks the hopelophobe liberals won't pick up guns. I suspect they will get over their fear of firearms right quick if their survival requires it, and the same will probably be true of your neighbors. (Back to tremors "I guess we can't make fun of Burt's lifestyle anymore" )   The real problem is that they won't have prepped and will want to rely on you and your stores.  

As far as your Obama voting neighbor, most liberals don't  live according  to their beliefs- their beliefs are something to be foisted on someone else by force.  Or are you saying he is an old-school, Kennedy sort of Democrat  who just hasn't clued into what the Dems have become?  If the latter,  he is fine in your survival group, but he won't prep. If the former, its probably best if he meets with an accident when the time comes.

Why would anyone mock canning? What does he think his MREs and Dried food are if not high-tech canning?

I/we don't have a choice, by choice.  We made a decision to stay, based on certain parameters, so the dealing will need to be done.  He and his will eat on their own labor, with a kick-start from us, or he'll find God despite him being a gun-owner.  He's a believer in "Republicans are evil" despite my emphasis that, in us, he's dealing with Conservatives as Republicans and has life-evidence demonstrating we're not worthy of his distaste.  These things tend to get sorted out in real-time, I believe, but if he persists -- and her -- in his ideology, I aim to misbehave.

Still, it's disconcerting to have to consider these things if only that we don't have allies at the ready.  I am not a leader; I am not persuasive -- that's Gunsmith, and thank God he is -- I am a sledgehammer because I'm sick to death of the ignorant, the stupid, the willful and the evil.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 10:17:02 PM »
Am I a fool?

Hardly.

There ain't no "one size fits all" solution (even if we could accurately and definitively define the problem). We actively differentiate ourselves from 90+% of our fellows Americans because we at least take a stab at preparing for conflagration and calamity.

Everyone has basic necessities to accommodate and individual needs to fulfill.

(I just hope the liquor holds out)

And the gawdamn cigarettes.