Author Topic: Veterans: What Is Seen and What Is Not Seen  (Read 2197 times)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
Veterans: What Is Seen and What Is Not Seen
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:25:54 PM »
By Dr. Mark W. Hendrickson

November 7, 2011

“In economics, the first lesson I teach my pupils is the lesson of things that are seen and things that are not seen. Actions have some effects that are readily apparent and others are overlooked or not perceived. It’s the same with our military veterans. We see the obvious price they’ve paid—the time they spent far away from home and some of the physical injuries, such as lost limbs. What we don't see are their psychological wounds. Sadly, these are more numerous than physical injuries, and they often cause greater suffering.”

In “Veterans: What Is Seen and What Is Not Seen” (753 words), faculty member, economist, and fellow for economic and social policy with The Center for Vision & Values at Grove City College—Dr. Mark W. Hendrickson—recalls the uncle who raised him: “as tough and fearless as any man I've ever known, yet even he struggled with deeply disturbing memories from World War II more than half a century later…. Our veterans have far more scars than meet the eye.” In his latest editorial, Dr. Hendrickson asks, “How can we help them?”

Click here for more ...http://www.visionandvalues.org/2011/11/veterans-what-is-seen-and-what-is-not-seen/

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Veterans: What Is Seen and What Is Not Seen
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 06:52:15 AM »
I have the recollections of my father describing how his big brother who marched from Normandy to Germany could be sent screaming and sprawling by the ringing of a phone, the backfiring of an old car...it shocked my father who thought nothing could frighten his big brother who was his ideal role model of a strong and tough man.  He chose to not talk about his experiences, only snippets leaking out here and there over the years.  Who could possibly understand what they saw and did?  Even among themselves not much is said, because they know what each saw, so nothing has to be said.  How do we help them?  Any way we can.  And the best way would be to give them our thanks and gratitude.  They did something which kept us free and able to go about out lives, there will never be enough we could do to repay such a debt.  The cruelest thing people could do is ignore or disparage their sacrifices and what they fought for.  That must never be allowed to happen, period.  If not for such people, none of us would be here, none of us would be free.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:40:46 AM »
I have the recollections of my father describing how his big brother who marched from Normandy to Germany could be sent screaming and sprawling by the ringing of a phone, the backfiring of an old car...it shocked my father who thought nothing could frighten his big brother who was his ideal role model of a strong and tough man.  He chose to not talk about his experiences, only snippets leaking out here and there over the years.  Who could possibly understand what they saw and did?  Even among themselves not much is said, because they know what each saw, so nothing has to be said.  How do we help them?  Any way we can.  And the best way would be to give them our thanks and gratitude.  They did something which kept us free and able to go about out lives, there will never be enough we could do to repay such a debt.  The cruelest thing people could do is ignore or disparage their sacrifices and what they fought for.  That must never be allowed to happen, period.  If not for such people, none of us would be here, none of us would be free.

Amen! ::USA::

Offline Castaway

• Likes the place
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:07:38 PM »
http://www.shrm.org/Publications/hrmagazine/EditorialContent/2011/0711/Pages/0711meinert.aspx

When you get down to the legal issues you'll find the meat and taters why the law Bush Sr signed to help disabled people is actually hurting what is now a medical compensated disability.  The Vets prior to Nam felt with it and went on to run most of the Fortune 500 companies.  Today they fight a stigma largely promoted by the left wing media.  For the record FEMA test people affected by natural disasters (don't like calling them "victims") and most test positive for PTSD.  Do they get the same stigma for the same medical diagnosis? 

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:26:12 AM »
http://www.shrm.org/Publications/hrmagazine/EditorialContent/2011/0711/Pages/0711meinert.aspx

When you get down to the legal issues you'll find the meat and taters why the law Bush Sr signed to help disabled people is actually hurting what is now a medical compensated disability.  The Vets prior to Nam felt with it and went on to run most of the Fortune 500 companies.  Today they fight a stigma largely promoted by the left wing media.  For the record FEMA test people affected by natural disasters (don't like calling them "victims") and most test positive for PTSD.  Do they get the same stigma for the same medical diagnosis? 

In earlier generations it was called "shell shock" but most dealt with it and returned to mostly normal lives.  I never heard of any incidents involving those generations that would lead to any concern...guys would have the thousand yard stare, but they weren't freaking out on the job or anything.

There is also the stigma that our children are completely vulnerable and ill-equiped to handle daily life events...which if true is an indictment of parents and a society that has denuded individuality and self-sufficiency from the gene pool.  Everytime there is an incident at our schools armies of grief counselors descend upon them and go all touchy-feely with our youth.  We don't need grief counselors, we have parents!  If a parent thinks their kid has something beyond their capability to handle then seek out a credible counselor (I would suggest a Christian counselor or your churches clergy)!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Everytime there is an incident at our schools armies of grief counselors descend upon them and go all touchy-feely with our youth.  We don't need grief counselors, we have parents!

THAT bugs the living hell out of me every time I hear it.  I wouldn't have my kid counseled by a gummint-provided grief-monger; that'd be my job.  Who knows what they're telling the kids anyway?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 06:50:28 PM »
Everytime there is an incident at our schools armies of grief counselors descend upon them and go all touchy-feely with our youth.  We don't need grief counselors, we have parents!

THAT bugs the living hell out of me every time I hear it.  I wouldn't have my kid counseled by a gummint-provided grief-monger; that'd be my job.  Who knows what they're telling the kids anyway?

Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one that felt that way.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 07:50:31 PM »

Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one that felt that way.

Newp.  Since there are now three of us on the record, betcha there are many more.

Here's the deal, as I see it:  the gummint schools have arrogated to themselves authority over all things "your child".  The issue at hand is to wrest that authority out of their grasping tentacles and back to oneselves as parents; they don't much like or appreciate this and will thwart one's efforts at every turn with jargon designed to reassert their authority, obfuscate the issue and inspire guilt, simultaneously.

Kudos to those willing to take on the fight, but I believe it's a waste of precious time and stamina both, which may well be directed toward home-schooling instead.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »

My dad rarely discussed any of his wartime experiences with me. Apparently he thought them too grisly to share with my mom as well. He did open up a time or two with my next-older brother. That's how we learned that my dad lived through a beach landing that took all but two other members of his platoon. Or how he would take a squad deep behind enemy lines for reconnaissance, running like hell to avoid detection and killing anything that spotted them.

I remember my oldest brother bragging up the Bronze Star when we were kids but I didn't appreciate what it represented - other than my dad was a hero (he was always a hero to me). I know now that he killed more than a handful - sometimes in hand~to~hand combat. I know that he saw the concentration camps. He saw whole towns where the few survivors fought like animals for scraps. He silently carried images of death and violence all of his days and, unless you really knew him, you wouldn't have guessed it at all.

In a way it hurt that he wouldn't (couldn't) share that part of his life with me. But I understood that this was the way he was wired - quiet, humble, and strong. I wish we could have been closer in that respect, even as unpleasant as it was.

I thank God he is long last at peace.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »

Kudos to those willing to take on the fight, but I believe it's a waste of precious time and stamina both, which may well be directed toward home-schooling instead.

I've had people say I should have my kids in school and work to change them.

I decided a long time ago I wasn't sacrificing my kids for parents who didn't give a sht.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 08:02:24 PM »
I would have given anything to homeschool...

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »

My dad rarely discussed any of his wartime experiences with me.

My dad told a few stories but only the "funny stuff" like traveling across France they found a cow wondering around.  They kept it for awhile until they decided they'd rather eat it.

My uncle was injured in the war and was hospitalized for months.  My mom and grandmom were able to travel to see him one time. He never talked about it once.  Everyone knew, even the kids, that he didn't and wouldn't.  I respected him and loved him.  I think even as a kid I sense that it took a special person to never, ever seem like he'd suffered great pain. He always had a smile.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 06:42:33 AM »

My dad rarely discussed any of his wartime experiences with me. Apparently he thought them too grisly to share with my mom as well. He did open up a time or two with my next-older brother. That's how we learned that my dad lived through a beach landing that took all but two other members of his platoon. Or how he would take a squad deep behind enemy lines for reconnaissance, running like hell to avoid detection and killing anything that spotted them.

I remember my oldest brother bragging up the Bronze Star when we were kids but I didn't appreciate what it represented - other than my dad was a hero (he was always a hero to me). I know now that he killed more than a handful - sometimes in hand~to~hand combat. I know that he saw the concentration camps. He saw whole towns where the few survivors fought like animals for scraps. He silently carried images of death and violence all of his days and, unless you really knew him, you wouldn't have guessed it at all.

In a way it hurt that he wouldn't (couldn't) share that part of his life with me. But I understood that this was the way he was wired - quiet, humble, and strong. I wish we could have been closer in that respect, even as unpleasant as it was.

I thank God he is long last at peace.

::USA::

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 06:49:59 AM »

My dad rarely discussed any of his wartime experiences with me.

My dad told a few stories but only the "funny stuff" like traveling across France they found a cow wondering around.  They kept it for awhile until they decided they'd rather eat it.

My uncle was injured in the war and was hospitalized for months.  My mom and grandmom were able to travel to see him one time. He never talked about it once.  Everyone knew, even the kids, that he didn't and wouldn't.  I respected him and loved him.  I think even as a kid I sense that it took a special person to never, ever seem like he'd suffered great pain. He always had a smile.

I don't recall any stories of my uncle telling funny stories from wartime, he would do the usual griping about long boring waits and drills before being deployed, and how he did at poker, craps or gals.  And very little about the people.  I got the impression the few people he mentioned must not have been killed or he lost track of them and didn't really know if they made it or not and it was OK to talk about them.  I only recall a couple times him mentioning some of the odd characters he came across.  But that cow story is good LV!  I bet many a farmer lost livestock to hungry soldiers of one side or the other.  I do recall my uncle saying chickens were never passed without being grabbed.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 10:43:18 AM »
Another story my dad told is of going through a French town and when the women of the town saw his French last name (on his helmet I think--I don't remember now--it was on something he had) they would run up and give him flowers.

:)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »
 ::thumbsup::