Author Topic: SCOTUS GPS Case  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
SCOTUS GPS Case
« on: November 08, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »
I'm not touching how this goofy court will rule on this, I'd bank on wrong just to play it safe and plan accordingly...and the more technology changes and advances the more easy it will be for new intrusions into our lifes to be met with little resistance...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2059001/New-privacy-fears-police-track-GPS-warrant.html

::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: SCOTUS GPS Case
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 12:38:36 PM »
The government's point in favour of using the GPS device is that people have no expectation of privacy concerning their travel on public streets.

Yeah, about that.  People may have no expectation of privacy while out on the streets, i.e. from being observed by other people also present on the street, which makes sense.  Now that's been applied to remote electronic surveillance?  That's one helluva stretch in the first; in the second, I don't see how it doesn't violate the Fourth Amendment when applied to government.

I have a stomachache.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 02:33:03 PM »
Nose under the tent flap...now all we see is a tail wagging on the other side...the whole damn thing is nearly in!

::gaah::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 07:29:09 PM »
"If you win this case, then there is nothing to prevent the police or the government from monitoring 24 hours a day the public movement of every citizen of the United States,” Breyer said. “So if you win, you suddenly produce what sounds like 1984 from their brief."

Chief Justice John Roberts said that unlike earlier technology, GPS tracking gives law enforcement a “mosaic” that gives them the “whole picture” rather than just a slice of it.

I have no idea where I live anymore; left is right/right is left; good is bad/bad is good; up is down/down is up; Breyer gets it/Roberts doesn't.

What is Roberts protecting; the doctrine of stare decisis or his sinecure, because he sure isn't protecting the people's justice and Constitutional adherence with which he's been charged.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:10:35 AM »
This is where the law and order gene of some conservatives creates a short-circuit in the brain that bypasses normal rational thinking and the law and order aspect assumes a dominance disproportionate to Founding principles of limited government and civil liberty.  I'd like to know what Scalia thinks, if he agrees with Roberts it would truly not bode well.

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:40:55 AM »
Calif. Man Claims He Found Two GPS Tracking Devices Under His SUV

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/calif-man-claims-he-found-2-gps-tracking-devices-under-his-suv/

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:18:43 AM »
How hard is it for people to get a warrant if you think you have a legitimate dirtbag to nab?  Really, get a fricken warrant buttheads!

::)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 03:41:42 PM »
Presume no sense of privacy unless it's related to deviant sexual behavior and aborting babies....
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."