Author Topic: Australia {House - P.} passes controversial carbon pollution tax  (Read 1902 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Australia {House - P.} passes controversial carbon pollution tax
« on: November 08, 2011, 05:14:55 PM »
Australia's upper house passed a controversial pollution tax on Tuesday in what the government called an "historic day" after years of bitter debate which felled a sitting prime minister.

Cheers and applause broke out as the Senate approved the Clean Energy Act by 36 votes to 32, requiring Australia's coal-fired power stations and other major emitters to "pay to pollute" from July 1 next year.

The laws -- 18 in total -- will now return for a final vote in the lower house, where they are expected to again be approved after winning approval last month 74 votes to 72.

Deputy Prime Minister and Treasurer Wayne Swan said the passage through the Senate was a "victory for the optimists and... a defeat for the deniers."

"Today is an historic day for economic reform," he said ahead of the vote.

"No longer will the big polluters be able to pump carbon pollution into the atmosphere for free."

Link

Wait! Whut?!  They're talking about the producers of electricity, a modern-day necessity, as though the product is a frivolous triviality!  "Pump pollution ... for free"?!  They're also pumping out energy, which life-uplifting element that flows enables our advanced standard of living for First World countries and just what is lacking in the Turd World.

WTF is wrong with these people that they're cheering this as a triumph?

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Australia {House - P.} passes controversial carbon pollution tax
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
They finally admitted it's just a tax. Wait until the poor Australian people start to feel it............
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 05:01:40 AM »
Does this include Aborigine's campfires ? Maybe they're exempt ... ???

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:31:26 AM »
Does this include Aborigine's campfires ? Maybe they're exempt ... ???

::hysterical::

Heh, good one SH!

PS-Only the white man will feel it Alan!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:53:12 AM »
controversial carbon pollution tax

OK, I'll play.  What did that dingbat PM do now, pass a tax on diamonds?

Sorry, a pet peeve of mine, journalism school retards too lazy to just type an extra word, in this case, dioxide.  Carbon and Carbon Dioxide are two completely different things, outside the world of J-Tards and professional politicians.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:02:39 AM »
True enough MNHawk.  In this case it's not so much that they are stupid...as they are lazy...but knowing them it is highly likely both come into play on any given day!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 12:29:34 PM »

This is the same people who years ago decided they would be
safer having all guns cut into pieces and sold for scrap.  They
have been devolving for years.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 12:47:11 PM »
controversial carbon pollution tax

OK, I'll play.  What did that dingbat PM do now, pass a tax on diamonds?

Sorry, a pet peeve of mine, journalism school retards too lazy to just type an extra word, in this case, dioxide.  Carbon and Carbon Dioxide are two completely different things, outside the world of J-Tards and professional politicians.

True enough MNHawk.  In this case it's not so much that they are stupid...as they are lazy...but knowing them it is highly likely both come into play on any given day!

My money is on stupid.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 12:27:01 PM »
Here's what will happen, because this is always what happens with asinine liberal meddling. When these power companies pass the cost of the tax onto their customers (i.e. the citizens paying their electric bills) that act in itself will precipitate yet another "outrage" requiring -- wait for it -- more government intervention. They are forever outraged and shocked that their grandiose schemes are not simply paid for out of businesses' profit margins. Witness the recent bellyaching about Bank of America and their attempt to collect a monthly debit card fee, where we had sitting United States Senators using the soapbox of their office to implore citizens to close their accounts with an American business.

I am now and on a daily basis acutely aware of what it felt like for those generations in the Old World who were willing to leave behind everything familiar for just the mere chance to get. the. f**k. away. from all these busybodies. It is regretful that we do not have colonization in space.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 12:32:53 PM »
Different issue, but applicable in that Walsh is extremely frustrated by his constituents refusing to absorb what he's telling them about government ........

Rep. Joe Walsh (R-IL) melts down, yells hysterically "don't blame banks!"
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »
Different issue, but applicable in that Walsh is extremely frustrated by his constituents refusing to absorb what he's telling them about government ........

Rep. Joe Walsh (R-IL) melts down, yells hysterically "don't blame banks!"

This video is private.
If the owner of this video has granted you access, please log in.

How about a link to where it's shown?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 03:31:35 PM »
I split the topic (incorrectly; should have started at my post changing the subject) and merged those posts with Lady Virginia's thread here >>>>>>>  http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,3826.0.html

Unfortunately, the software arranged the posts in "time posted" order, so Charles Oakwood appears to be the thread starter.

Sorry, LV; just trying to keep things a little more organized.