Author Topic: On Revolution and Democracy  (Read 1711 times)

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
On Revolution and Democracy
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:22:46 AM »
                                         REVOLUTION AND DEMOCRACY

I was recently mildly reprimanded by a blogger on another site because I had the temerity to criticize the Egyptian “Pro-Democracy” demonstrators. One writer had expresses his opinion that “half the Arab world is on the fast track to democratic reform thanks to freedom of information . . .”.

Obama apologists and liberal foreign policy fantacists apparently want to believe the events occurring in Egypt and catching fire in the Middle East bear some relationship to the American Revolution, with the North Tower lantern being replaced by Facebook and the internet. These observers are making a dangerous mistake confusing “revolution” with “democracy”. My response?

Is that the crap they are teaching you in Poly-Sci class these days? The only reform these characters are interested in is replacing a Secular Dictatorship with a Sharia-compliant, Iranian styled Theocracy. Yeah, that revolution against the Shah worked out just peachy for “democracy” didn’t it? I didn’t hear the Egyptian “pro-democracy” demonstrators singing “Koombayah” as they raped, punched and sexually assaulted Lara Logan. I did hear them shouting “Jew!” “Jew!” Jew!” as they tore off her clothes, punched her and sexually assaulted her. Go ahead, kid. Engage in your little fantasy that the entire Arab Mideast is gonna be just like American revolutionaries.

The following retort is an example of a reader’s confusion:

So you only support democracy when it goes in your favor? Think that one through for a minute.

Wow. A bunch of Egyptians marching against Hosni Mubarak are totally in favor of electing their leaders by popular vote. Sorry, that is not what is occurring on the ground in Alexandria. There is a huge difference between “Revolution” and “Democracy.” What is going on in the Mideast is full scale revolution. It ain’t anything near “democracy.” The Iranian Revolution of 1978-79 resulted in the removal of a Secular, but benign dictator, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, and resulted in an Islamic Theocracy led by Ayatollah Khomeini. Far from a present day “democracy”, the recent elections in Iran prove the corruption of the Mullahs and the fallacy of their Iranian “democracy.”
The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt will fully support “democratic reform” until it is able to seize the reins of power by force. Then, the Islamic extremists will curtail the rights and freedoms won until the new government of Egypt will look no different than the present government of Iran. Is this not what Hugo Chavez was able to accomplish in Nicaragua in a few short years? How much "democracy" exists in Nicaragua today?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:36:02 AM by BigAlSouth »
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: On Revolution and Democracy
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:44:55 AM »
It really is an amazing logical disconnect to believe that democracy (a state governed by representatives elected by a majority) is the natural-born fruit of revolution (popular uprising) - ESPECIALLY when it is an Islamic revolution, or a revolution with an Islamic component in a Middle-Eastern country.

Our own revolution was not a movement for the establishment of democracy until the revolution was long over and the people at the helm of forming a new government painstakingly made it so. It was a movement and a war for liberty against tyranny, and there was no guarantee that democracy would emerge in the aftermath. Many preferred the familiarity of monarchy.

Libtards are sofa king we-todd-it.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:47:57 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »
Libtards are sofa king we-todd-it.

Heh.  Took a sec but I got there.

So you only support democracy when it goes in your favor?

Yah; that's yer typical lefty we-todd response fer ya, I've seen it myself.  Must be a talking point on DU/Media Matters et al.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:07:09 PM »
Yes...democracy now equates to revolution or protest. Ask obama. Ask unions. They will be elected by the majority in Egypt. Just ask the muslim brotherhood.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.