Author Topic: First Solar CEO resigns; stock sinks  (Read 675 times)

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
First Solar CEO resigns; stock sinks
« on: November 13, 2011, 08:42:41 AM »
BMG put up an article about a company that was given 2.8 billion in a no-bid contract and the corruption that is milling about that OBummer act.

Here is something that I heard about on the radio on the way to work one morning at the end of October.  Seems about 3.1 billion given to a solar company in Arizona... shortly there after the CEO resigns and the stock starts heading for the basement.  The President of Operations resigned, then the President of Utility Maintenance and now the CEO.

Of course, not until after they got that 2.8 billion for the company.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4230081/First-Solar-CEO-resigns--stock-sinks

First Solar CEO resigns; stock sinks
Sylvie Barak

10/25/2011 7:07 PM EDT

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--News that First Solar CEO Robert Gillette had stepped down sent shares in the company plummeting 25 percent on Tuesday (Oct. 25), in a year where the Arizona-based company’s stock has already lost over 70 percent of its value.

No reason was given for Gillette’s sudden departure, but he is the third executive to leave the energy company this year, after First Solar's president of operations Bruce Sohn resigned in April and president of the firm’s utility systems unit, Jens Meyerhoff, left last month.

Gillette had served as CEO of First Solar for the past two years, a time of intense turbulence in the solar industry, in which U.S. based firms faced increasing competition from cheaper Chinese competitors and crystalline silicon producers. Demand for solar panels has also petered off after several European countries ended green energy incentive plans this year.

The industry is also thought to have been adversely affected by the Solyndra scandal earlier this year, in which California based solar panel manufacturer Solyndra took $535 million in federal loan guarantees before filing for bankruptcy and laying off over 1000 workers. Solyndra had previously been singled out by the Obama administration as a strong example to follow in terms of green job initiatives.

First Solar too has received some $3.1 billion from the U.S. government’s Energy Department, and is also thought to be facing job cuts, with analysts predicting a cull of some 10 percent of the workforce due to underutilization of factories.

“We believe the news (along with timing of announcement) is likely to raise a lot of investor questions about the health of overall industry as well as near/longer term profitability outlook of the company,” said Deutsche Bank in a statement advising investors to hold when it came to buying First Solar stock.

First Solar shares on Tuesday had fallen to $43, and the firm’s current market capitalization is thought to be around $4 billion.

The company's chairman and founder, Mike Ahearn, will take on the role of interim CEO while the firm searches for a permanent replacement for Gillette.

The firm will announce its official earnings next week.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: First Solar CEO resigns; stock sinks
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 09:00:45 AM »
The sun is setting on a lot of these solar companies !  ;D

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 09:08:39 AM »
The trails of scandal leading back and forth between this administration and the end results are staggering both in the sheer number and the degree. It sickens me to no end that A) it has been allowed to continue and B) that there seems to be no punitive end result forthcoming. If any private citizen did anything even remotely similar they'd have been jailed long ago. Who says there's not to different classes in America? The simple fact that one type of person can do pretty much anything they want out in the open for anyone to see and not get into legal trouble when the other type of person would be imprisoned for a lengthy period of time is proof that two different classes do exist in America.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:16:03 AM »

I'm going to start a new thread later (probably today) about how to make a solar system for your house/cabin/RV, etc.  I've been researching it for months and really really want to get off the grid.  Not for any tree-hugger reason.. but I'm damn tired of paying the electric company $80-$350/month on electricity.

Hopefully this will flood eBay with thousands of cheap panels that I can buy as they are liquidating their assets.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:46:34 AM »

I'm going to start a new thread later (probably today) about how to make a solar system for your house/cabin/RV, etc.  I've been researching it for months and really really want to get off the grid.  Not for any tree-hugger reason.. but I'm damn tired of paying the electric company $80-$350/month on electricity.

Hopefully this will flood eBay with thousands of cheap panels that I can buy as they are liquidating their assets.

Delnorin - I have a link for you to read: http://www.city-data.com/forum/tennessee/359683-going-off-grid-east-tennessee.html

This is a diary of a couple who built an off-grid homestead. It offers great detail on their project, their successes, and their failures. Its conclusion may surprise you.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 03:05:17 PM »

Delnorin - I have a link for you to read: http://www.city-data.com/forum/tennessee/359683-going-off-grid-east-tennessee.html

This is a diary of a couple who built an off-grid homestead. It offers great detail on their project, their successes, and their failures. Its conclusion may surprise you.

Soup!  Great link!  I've been sucked in since I clicked on it and I'm not done reading yet.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 03:38:53 PM »

Soup!  Great link!  I've been sucked in since I clicked on it and I'm not done reading yet.

I'm reading now.. on page 7 of 40,000. :)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 05:01:37 PM »
Well I know one thing for sure, these two are not lazy!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 05:09:58 PM »
BOT - Looks like this clown was an equal opportunity contributor, with proglodytes getting the most...

http://www.campaignmoney.com/political/contributions/robert-gillette.asp?cycle=08

...and lookie there, Mittens!  Yeah, sounds like a nice zinger to unleash in the next debates!

;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.