Author Topic: BMG's Meatballs  (Read 1375 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
BMG's Meatballs
« on: November 12, 2011, 09:40:42 PM »
I recently paired these meatballs with John Florida's Super Secret Sauce recipe and was very pleased with the results! John Florida's sauce recipe yielded about 2 gallons of sauce. What wasn't used at the time, I put in the freezer for later use. The large volume of sauce was great and will save time next time I'm in the mood for pasta and tomato sauce!

Enjoy!

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon dried Parsley
1 teaspoon dried Basil
1 teaspoon dried Oregano
1 bunch fresh green onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup dry bread crumbs or 2 cups stale Italian bread, crumbled
1 cup lukewarm water

Directions
Combine beef and pork in a large bowl.
Add garlic, eggs, cheese, parsley, basil, oregano, green onion, salt and pepper.
Fold bread crumbs into meat mixture. Slowly add the water 1/2 cup at a time.
The mixture should be very moist but still hold its shape if rolled into meatballs.

Cooking methods vary, below are the methods that I have tried that work quite well.

Method 1:
Shape into softball-sized meatballs.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until done.

The reason for making the meatballs so big is so that you can then later slice them into 1/4" thick slices and add a layer of them to your favorite lasagna recipe (the bottom layer with all the other layers adhering to your recipe) or slice them up in a similar fashion to make meatball sandwiches later with a little tomato sauce as the condiment.

Method 2:
Shape into golf ball-sized meatballs.
Brown in a skillet with olive oil (just brown them, they don't need to be cooked completely through). Once browned, add them to your simmering sauce for about 40 minutes to finish cooking and to impart the meat flavor into the sauce.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: BMG's Meatballs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 02:24:26 AM »
I use ground veal in mine, in an equal ratio to the beef and pork.  Nom nom nom.

I don't know how you make your meatloaf, but I use the same recipe; mix, mold into loaf and bake at 350, and it's always good.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Re: BMG's Meatballs
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:37:05 AM »
My meatloaf recipe is similar - but it involves onion soup mix and ketchup so it significantly changes the flavor profile when compared to this meatball recipe. But the basics are the same.  ;D
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus