Author Topic: Not telling anybody else what to think or do, but...  (Read 5573 times)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: Not telling anybody else what to think or do, but...
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2011, 10:16:49 AM »
Just read this morning about the Pledge to America that was signed last year and it seems the Pubs have fallen a little short.

This was on Red State

http://www.redstate.com/russvought/2011/11/15/house-republicans-set-to-again-violate-their-pledge-to-america/

charlesoakwood

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »

Boehner violating a pledge, shocked.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2011, 11:32:26 AM »
These idiots all read the constitution and they still trample all over it, so what's the big deal?!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2011, 11:37:59 AM »
There's just something about government itself that infects those who spend too much time in it, they become more and more enamored of its hulking mass. It becomes the center of the universe, they become mere technocrats who, rather than keeping it small and focused, decide the best course of action is to be ever tinkering with it in an effort to make it somehow more efficient.

I guess it's intoxicating to believe you are "in" the know and understand how "it" works better than the lowly voters.  It's about power and control.  No matter what amount of authority a person has I've seen most people make the most of it without regard to being reasonable. Haven't you seen that?  Some lowly clerk telling you what you can't do? And so it goes all the way up to the top.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2011, 11:38:24 AM »

Considering what Reagan-appointee and allegedly stalwart conservative jurist Silberman recently opined, regarding Obamacare, I'm not sure it really matters that conservatives get to make the appointments.

And with a court that might actually find the Commerce Clause to be all powerful, thus logically eliminating the purpose for even having a Constitution,  one could argue that the court has already been lost.  If They do so decide, you know it  already has been and a few more liberal leaning judges won't make a bit of difference. he court likes their new powers as a council of philosopher kings- they can't keep them if they go and find the original meaning and purpose of the Constitution is still binding upon them.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2011, 06:44:58 PM »
Instead of going galt, we can just campout at the White House. Kum Ba Ya..

Cain needs to sharpen his skills, but he answers questions regarding policy as a businessman would answer....with a mind toward business profitability. It's why he would prefer to fire a judge who does not agree, even though I cringe because he SHOULD KNOW they are appointed FORFREAKIN EVER!!!!! But his thought process is exactly correct. In the business world, as an owner and speaking from experience, I expect my employees to keep me abreast of all situations because it is the job I hired them to do. So, I may not be atop every situation or I may not know every issue, but with proper contact and communication, I have a good understanding of my market even though I may not be an expert in all situations.

So I gotta disagree with the thought Cain isn't intelligent. He is. He just isn't savvy like a Trump and I believe he has been niave in regards to his campaign organization and how it would be perceived. He hasn't ran his campaign like a politican. He isn't a politican. I don't think of him as a politican and he will not answer questions like a politican. When he attempts to answer LIKE a politican, he gets himself in trouble.

I am not making excuses for the man.....He should have a better grasp and be better prepared, but in an interview, he cannot turn to someone else for expertise of a particular field, as you would in a business meeting, weigh all the options and make sound decisions that turn organizations around.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2011, 06:48:02 PM »

Exactly.  Mr.Cain, what is your goal, what do you
want these assembled experts to help you achieve?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2011, 09:12:18 PM »

...It's why he would prefer to fire a judge who does not agree, even though I cringe because he SHOULD KNOW they are appointed FORFREAKIN EVER!!!!!...

I just wanna be clear - the above "interview" in which Cain bungles the question on judicial appointments is FICTITIOUS, as I stated in the post. I concocted the scenario to prove a point, and apparently I did a pretty darn good job.  ::beertoast::

What I was trying to accomplish was to apply Cain's PATTERN of ignorance (not stupidity) to a subject he hasn't yet gotten around to screwing up. He's done it so many times now, you could apply this pattern to any number of subjects of which we expect our President to be informed and prepared to discuss.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2011, 09:36:23 AM »

...It's why he would prefer to fire a judge who does not agree, even though I cringe because he SHOULD KNOW they are appointed FORFREAKIN EVER!!!!!...

I just wanna be clear - the above "interview" in which Cain bungles the question on judicial appointments is FICTITIOUS, as I stated in the post. I concocted the scenario to prove a point, and apparently I did a pretty darn good job.  ::beertoast::

I didn't pick up on the "fictitiousness" (did I create a new word?) of your post. Sad part is mr Cain could make this type of error.

Brother believes mr cains candidacy was more about inserting another conservative voice rather than his belief he could do well...... And now since he has traction, his lack of preparation, other than his ideas on taxation, has caught up to him. I do believe this is an indication the American people yearn for a conservative and are willing to take a chance on an inexperienced newcomer, if his heart is right, so to speak.
What I was trying to accomplish was to apply Cain's PATTERN of ignorance (not stupidity) to a subject he hasn't yet gotten around to screwing up. He's done it so many times now, you could apply this pattern to any number of subjects of which we expect our President to be informed and prepared to discuss.

I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Tom G.

• Newb
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »
I've bit my tongue for quite a while reading some of these posts about Cain, Gingrich, etc.  and I needed to reply.  I've been away for a while - just re-registered.  IDP, Alan and others know who I am and what my views are, but this trend is very troubling.

IMO we have a lot of scared people on the right... scared of every little misstep or gaffe that one of the Repub candidates makes, and then we hear how they aren't fit for being President.  The whole "looking thru a microscope" at each of the Repubs is a recipe for disaster - there is not one of us, me included, that is without fault or human.  To somehow expect each and every one of the to somehow live up to unreachable expectations is doing a grave disservice to them and the right as a whole.  Why and how did this impossible expectations come about?  Even Reagan wasn't without fault, so why now?

Why are we allowing the Dems and the left (see MSM) dictate the game to us?  We all know that the vast majority of the country is center/right, so why do we allow a minority to dictate to the majority?  Fomenting this by declaring every candidate dead after a gaffe is playing into the hand of the MSM - we are running against the Dems, people, not others on the right.  Having unreasonable expectations will spell doom for us in 2012 if we don't get things on the right worked out and actually show a political spine for a change.

I haven't endorsed anyone yet, but this latest thing by Cain isn't the end of the world - how many of you take time to think before you respond?  It appears to me that is what he did - and he's being crucified for it?  I guess I just don't understand what the big deal is... policies and philosophy matter more IMO.  Bush 43 wasn't the most articulate president we have had, but his foreign policy was gold post 9/11.  If we are going to micromanage every candidate, we will have nothing left to vote for.

I realize this is the primary season, but this trend is going to spell doom if we aren't careful.  The sky is NOT falling on any of them, regardless of popular thought.  Be confident and positive people - we are running against Obama and the Dem machine, not each other. ::USA::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »
I agree Tom, on several points.  I've had my calm destroyed by some of the carping...this latest instance involving Cain and the pause is a joke...the SCoaMF stutters, sputters and trips all over hisself 24/7/365 and I am supposed to dance like a monkey to the MFM drumbeat when Cain pauses?!  Gimmie a break.  And we are paying too much time to inconsequential BS and not enough on the real target...that jackass in the White House!  Rush made the comment recently that the MFM is doing us a favor right now, let their ammo unload on whoever the leading GOPer is, they will be so thoroughly vetted that not a one of them standing alone at the end can be touched by the SCoaMF!  It will be easy to point to MFM rehashing of the past and accuse them of ignoring the Obama record and instead gin-up Repub hate mongering as a means of avoiding the painful truth that the SCoaMF is a complete and utter failure of stupendous proportions and whose return to office for 4 more years can only spell more bad news for America - more debt, more wasteful spending, more crony capitalism, more decrees, more unemployment, more bank failures, more misery and more international scorn and ridicule!!!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »
Read this somewhere, paraphrasing:  Republicans are being forced to run against perfection instead of against Obama.

Tom, I do appreciate your input, so let me assure you that we do, indeed, take time to think before posting.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Tom G.

• Newb
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2011, 03:07:51 PM »
Read this somewhere, paraphrasing:  Republicans are being forced to run against perfection instead of against Obama.

Tom, I do appreciate your input, so let me assure you that we do, indeed, take time to think before posting.

I understand, but after reading the Lynching Cain novella, it appears that some are either A.) weak kneed, or B.) just stirring things up for the sake of stirring them up.  Let's face it - there is a history amongst members of the right to be so introspective that it can be a liability.  I would hate to think that the overbearing examination causes a potential winner to drop out. 

Please understand - this is not an indictment of people here, rather a word of caution in getting too nitpicky about the Repub candidates.  Lord knows we can't afford another McCain this time or we are totally screwed.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2011, 03:33:24 PM »
Read this somewhere, paraphrasing:  Republicans are being forced to run against perfection instead of against Obama.

I understand, but after reading the Lynching Cain novella, it appears that some are either A.) weak kneed, or B.) just stirring things up for the sake of stirring them up.  Let's face it - there is a history amongst members of the right to be so introspective that it can be a liability.  I would hate to think that the overbearing examination causes a potential winner to drop out.  

Please understand - this is not an indictment of people here, rather a word of caution in getting too nitpicky about the Repub candidates.  Lord knows we can't afford another McCain this time or we are totally screwed.

Oh, okay, I must have misunderstood your intention to not indict people here in spite of some of our week kneed and stirring-up tendencies.

Nobody here wants another McCain -- in the form of Romney -- that I know of.  What we come here to do is to mull things over, discuss, debate, raise points, knock them down, worry, and, sometimes, chew all the flavor out of an issue and then stick it in our hair.

This is our place to be nitpicky if necessary, get it out of our systems, and then continue.

What end conclusion did you draw, if any, from our Cain novella, other than our failings?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Tom G.

• Newb
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2011, 03:49:37 PM »
Like I said in my original post, one needs to look at policies and philosophy rather than the media topic dujour.  I would be very comfortable voting for him if he gets the nomination.

The media's job is to fling crap against the wall and see what sticks... that's at the behest of the DNC.  I find it amusing at the lengths to what the MSM and others like Politico will go to promote the smears...and I marvel at their audacity and claims to be objective and professional.  Perhaps I have a different viewpoint, but to me the stories are just that - stories.  Same goes with Perry, Bachman, Palin and all of the other right wing candidates who get crucified in the media precisely because of their philosophy, truth be damned.  It is as routine as the sun rising in the east.

I thin there are times when we all get caught up in the daily 24 hour news cycle and neglect to look at the big picture only.  I have stepped away from the daily grind because it can be so damned tiring to try and keep up with all  of the contortions that happens in our media these days.  Perhaps it's because I'm getting older, but I really don't care what so-called travesty happens on any given day.  I'm just waiting for the Cain story about being an African witch doctor who drinks lion blood and puts hexes on his opponents.... complete with the photoshopped pic of him in a loincloth and at least 4 witnesses stating that he did the aforementioned things. ::saywhat::

He is and will be fine to be President - like several others on the Repub side.  If Herman drops out, the next in line will be the new target, and this will continue ad nauseum until there is no one left.  I just don't have the energy to be all in all the time. ::laughonfloor:: 

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »
I think we've pretty much run the gamut on discussing all these candidates, Cain included, as news emerges. We pick up the strengths and weaknesses in our hands, and look them over with thorough gaze through a magnifying glass. It may lead to what amounts to a high colonic exam and flush of all these candidates, but I believe people are more informed for having done it.

This particular thread - offering my opinion that this latest gaffe from Cain fulfills a pattern and was one too many gaffes for ME - has been vigorously countered by others here. So I see no monolithic attitudes on this subject. To the contrary, we turn over every rock, discuss every aspect. Sometimes it leads to personal conclusions, and sometimes it just leads to interesting discussion and perspectives to chew on.

There is a thread HERE regarding Tom's concern specifically, as alluded to by Pandora...

"The Democrat leftist media is already winning as they are framing the debate. Republicans are being compared with perfection, and NOT being compared to Obama. We are losing this battle."

That is a valid concern, and it is not discounted here. We're aware.

ETA: BTW, welcome Tom G.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:54:04 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2011, 04:12:27 PM »
I'm just waiting for the Cain story about being an African witch doctor who drinks lion blood and puts hexes on his opponents.... complete with the photoshopped pic of him in a loincloth and at least 4 witnesses stating that he did the aforementioned things.

I'd like to see that for nothing more than to watch the left's heads explode.   ::laughonfloor::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2011, 07:16:14 AM »
Heh!  Could be a good counter-ad to the lunatic crap sure to be thrown his way by Team Obama should he be the nominee...

"Hi, I am Herman Cain, and I running for President, my opponent and his supporters liken me to a, well, just check this clip out...(play witch doctor clip)...see, now isn't that just silly?  How about we discuss real issues affecting American's?!"

;D

And, there is this bit o news -
Herman Cain receives Secret Service protection
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1111/68638.html
Reason why not stated, but obviously there has to be some credible threats or the request would be denied.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2011, 07:18:41 AM »
The latest Iowa poll - gNewt on top, followed by RINO & Herman...

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/iowa/2012_iowa_republican_caucus

PS-If Bachmann's standing is anywhere near accurate, she's toast.  She was betting big on doing well in Iowa.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2011, 10:33:12 AM »

Forgiving all negative gaffs, she came out strong but never advanced her argument.
She created no depth it was like a repeat loop instead of taking the initial argument
and giving it dimension.  When came out of the shoot I was enamored not anymore.