Author Topic: LWG's Rum Cake  (Read 2080 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
LWG's Rum Cake
« on: November 15, 2011, 11:50:21 AM »
Here you go Pan! This isn't exactly the Italian rum cake that you mentioned to be sure! Though it does use the sponge cake at least - and it could be modified to be layered. You could also add in the pasticciera cream and whipped cream to make this into a full-blown Italian rum cake if you wished.

Hope this helps!

BMG

Cake:
01 cup chopped pecans (in bottom of pan)
01, 18.5 oz yellow sponge cake mix with pudding in the mix (can substitute a regular yellow cake mix and a box of vanilla pudding mix)
03 eggs
1/2 cup cold water
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup light rum

Glaze:
1/4 lb butter
1/4 cup water
01 cup sugar
1/2 cup light rum

Directions:
Heat oven to 325 degrees. 

Grease and flour a tube pan - sprinkle chopped nuts on the bottom of the pan. 

Mix cake ingredients per directions (add contents of the pudding mix without mixing the pudding). 

Pour batter over the nuts and bake for 45 - 50 minutes. 

As soon as cake is removed from the oven mix the glaze ingredients in a saucepan. 

Boil (carefully as the contents are flammable!) for 3 minutes - stirring constantly - remove from heat.

Poke holes in the top of the cake with an icepick or toothpick while it is still in the tube pan. 

Pour half of the glaze over the cake - wait 2 minutes and then pour the rest of the glaze over the cake. 

Let the cake cool for 30 minutes, though it is best to let it set for a day before eating.   
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: LWG's Rum Cake
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:34:46 PM »
Thank you, BMG and be sure to thank the Missus for me.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:01:18 PM »
No problem Pan! This is a pretty easy recipe and it tastes very good (to me at least!). But I doubt it was exactly what you were looking for. I've never had the Italian rum cake but it's interesting that there is at least a little bit of similarity between the two types. My Wife starting making this type of cake after a trip to the Caribbean a few years back. We had this type of cake there and wanted to be able to make it whenever we wanted.

So after having said all that, I did a short web search and came up with a couple hits that looked promising for the Italian rum cake that you could maybe use!

Now I've no idea if these recipes are any good - I've never tried them. But they look promising. If nothing else, you could make them and see - then adjust to suit your preference!

http://www.food.com/recipe/Italian-Rum-Cake-65363

Italian Sponge Cake Pan di Spagna
    5 egg yolks
    5 egg whites
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/4 cups pastry flour, sifted
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind (optional)

Italian Pastry Cream Pasticciera Cream
    3 tablespoons sugar (or confectioner's sugar)
    3 egg yolks
    3 tablespoons flour
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups whole milk
    1 tablespoon butter

Chocolate Pasticciera Cream
    3 tablespoons sugar (or confectioner's sugar)
    3 egg yolks
    3 tablespoons flour
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups whole milk
    2 ounces baking chocolate, grated
    1 tablespoon butter

Rum Syrup
    1/4 cup dark rum (light rum may be used in place of dark) or 1 tablespoon rum flavoring (light rum may be used in place of dark)
    1/3 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar

Corn Syrup Method
    2 cups heavy cream
    1/2-1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 teaspoons light corn syrup

Gelatin Method
    2 cups heavy cream
    2 tablespoons cold water
    1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 -2 tablespoon sugar

Directions:
    1    Italian Sponge Cake (Pan di Spagna):
    2    Place egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until very thick and lemon colored (mixture should be at least doubled in volume, and thick like frosting - it can take up to 15 minutes (or longer with a hand mixer) of beating to reach the proper volume/texture) .
    3    Add flour, a little at a time, gently folding it in until well blended.
    4    Gently fold in vanilla and lemon rind (if using it).
    5    Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into cake mixture.
    6    Butter and flour an 18-inch square (or a 9 x 13 x 3, or a 11 x 17 x 2-inch half-sheet) cake pan, (make sure pan size will fit your oven; you could also use three 8 or 9-inch layer pans).
    7    Pour cake batter into prepared pan(s) and bake at 375°F for 15 to 35 minutes (depending on your oven and the volume of your pans.), or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
    8    Remove cake from oven and turn out (of pan) onto a cake rack to cool completely.
    9    Cake can be tightly wrapped and refrigerated overnight, or frozen (up to 3 weeks) for future use.
    10    Italian Pastry Cream (Pasticciera Cream): Place sugar, egg yolks, flour, lemon rind (if using it), and vanilla in a sauce pan and mix together well.
    11    In a separate sauce pan, scald milk.
    12    Very slowly pour milk over egg yolk mixture, in a thin stream, beating constantly with rotary beater.
    13    Continue cooking on low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until mixture reaches the boiling point.
    14    Cook 4 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
    15    Remove pan from heat, add butter and mix well.
    16    Pour into bowl and let cool, stir occasionally to prevent skin from forming over the top.
    17    If using as a filling, chill (with plastic wrap pressed onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming) until very thick (about 3-4 hours).
    18    Chocolate Pasticciera Cream: Place sugar, egg yolks flour, and vanilla in a sauce pan and mix together well.
    19    In a separate sauce pan, scald milk.
    20    Very slowly pour milk over egg yolk mixture, in a thin stream, beating constantly with rotary beater.
    21    Continue cooking on low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until mixture reaches the boiling point.
    22    Cook 4 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
    23    Add chocolate and while stirring, cook 1 minute longer.
    24    Remove pan from heat, add butter and mix well.
    25    Pour into bowl and let cool, stir occasionally to prevent skin from forming over the top.
    26    If using as a filling, chill (with plastic wrap pressed onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming) until very thick (about 3-4 hours).
    27    Rum Syrup*: Mix together the water, sugar, and rum in a small pot.
    28    Bring to a boil, and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
    29    Remove from the heat and cool before using.
    30    *NOTE:If you prefer not to use rum syrup, you may sprinkle/brush cake layers with 1/3 cup rum which has been diluted with 1/4 cup water.
    31    Stabilized Whipped Cream - Corn Syrup Method: In a large chilled bowl, with chilled beaters, beat cold cream until it just starts to thicken.
    32    Add corn syrup and vanilla from the side of the bowl, and beat until stiff peaks form.
    33    Stabilized Whipped Cream - Gelatin Method: Prepare gelatin- Soak plain gelatin in cold water for 5 minutes.
    34    Dissolve by placing it in a container over a small pot of simmering water, stir until dissolved.
    35    Set aside to cool before using.
    36    In a large well-chilled bowl, with well chilled beaters, beat cream with electric mixer.
    37    Just before it becomes soft and billowy, slowly add the sugar and vanilla to the whipped cream at the sides of the bowl, continue to whip as you do.
    38    Whip the cream until barely stiff.
    39    Add melted and cooled gelatin all at once to cream during whipping.
    40    Stop whipping when cream forms soft peaks.
    41    Finish beating with whisk to adjust consistency to stiff peaks.
    42    Use/serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until needed.
    43    If peaks have softened during refrigeration, rewhip by hand using a whisk.
    44    Rum Cake Assembly Instructions: Slice sponge cake in half to form two 9 x 18-inch layers Using a long, thin bladed knife, cut/split each layer in half lengthwise making four thin 9 x 18-inch layers.
    45    Place bottom sponge layer on platter cut side up, sprinkle/brush with about 1/4 of the rum, be careful not to get the cake too wet, or layers will become soggy.
    46    Allow sprinkled/brushed rum to soak into the cake for about 5 minutes.
    47    Sprinkle/brush remaining sponge layers (on the cut side) evenly with remaining rum.
    48    Spread a layer of vanilla pasticciera cream on the first sponge layer.
    49    Top the vanilla cream layer with another layer of rum sprinkled sponge cake.
    50    Spread a layer of stabilized whipped cream on the second sponge layer.
    51    Top the whipped cream layer with another layer of rum sprinkled sponge cake.
    52    Spread a layer of chocolate pasticciera cream on the third sponge layer.
    53    Top the chocolate layer with the last layer of sponge cake.
    54    Frost the top sponge cake layer (and sides of cake, optional) with remaining stabilized whipped cream.
    55    Cover and refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
    56    Refrigerate any leftovers.

And:

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/venettos/italian-rum-cake.htm

3 egg yolks
1 C. sugar
2 1/4 C. all-purpose flour
2 C. milk
1/2 lemon; grated peel only
1 C. butter; room temperature
4 eggs
3/4 C. sour cream
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 C. dark rum

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Beat the yolks and 1/4 cup sugar together in a mixing bowl and slowly add 1/4 cup flour.

Meanwhile, place the milk in a small pot and bring to the brink of boiling. Slowly pour the milk over the yolk mixture, then pour the whole thing back into the pot. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and mix in the lemon peel. Scrape into a plastic container, cover and place in the refrigerator to chill.

Running your mixer at high speed, cream butter and remaining sugar together in a mixer fitted with a paddle. Add the eggs 1 at a time, waiting until the previous 1 has been absorbed.

Add the sour cream and mix until incorporated. Add vanilla, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Decrease the speed to medium, add remaining flour and mix an additional minute.

Scrape the batter into a 1-quart round or rectangular cake pan, leaving 1/2-inch space at the top. Place on the middle rack of the oven for 50-to-60 minutes.

The cake is done when the surface cracks and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove cake from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before unmolding onto rack. When the cake is completely cool, slice it into 6 layers.

Place the first layer on a cake platter and sprinkle with some of the rum. Cover the layer with some of the custard mixture. Place the second layer on top of the custard, sprinkle with rum and cover with more custard.

Continue until the cake is assembled. Lightly spread the custard all over the surface of the cake. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 01:06:59 PM »
You're very kind, BMG.  Thanks for the research.  I'd found a couple of similar recipes and they look more like what I think of as rum-cake.

When I get ambitious, I will be giving one of them a whirl -- and a rum-cake needs sliced almonds all 'round the side; probably the easiest part.

Nom nom.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »
Mmm...rum!

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 01:47:09 PM »
No problem! Now, if/when you ever do find a good Italian rum cake recipe, let us know!  ;D
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »
I will.  Those you found for me look right up my alley, though.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 10:00:58 PM »
  I have a great recipe for Rum cake. I get in the car and go to Roma Bakery and viola,slice eat.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 08:53:07 AM »
I have a great recipe for Rum cake. I get in the car and go to Roma Bakery and viola,slice eat.

::hysterical::
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus