Author Topic: The King of the Bibles  (Read 2320 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
The King of the Bibles
« on: November 15, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »
As the Queen prepares to mark the 400th anniversary of the King James Version, Peter Mullen pours scorn on some of its modern rivals.

"We enjoyed a parish visit recently to St George’s Chapel, Windsor: the Queen’s Chapel. In there was a big sign saying, “Celebrating the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible”. I must say, it was a custom more honoured in the breach than in the observance. For at Choral Evensong, the lessons were both from some illiterate, godforsaken modern version. I knew we were in for trouble from the start when, in the Old Testament lesson, King Solomon addressed the Almighty as, “You God…” – as if the deity were some miscreant fourth-former in the back row. Of course it went from bad to worse.

On Wednesday, the Queen will attend a service of celebration at Westminster Abbey to mark the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible. The address will be given by the Archbishop of Canterbury, who earlier this year urged us to read the King James Bible in order to get a glimpse of what he called “the big picture”. Perhaps this was meant to go with Dave’s idea of “the big society”? This is a strange injunction, coming as it did from a man who has been in positions of power and influence in the church for decades. For in that time the same church hierarchy has ruthlessly suppressed the King James Bible, along with the Book of Common Prayer.

I can add a personal note on this subject. When I came to the City in 1998 I discovered that St Sepulchre’s did not have a lectern Bible in the King James Version (KJV). So I asked St Paul’s if they would lend me one of theirs.

They replied, “Oh yes, and you can keep it. We never use it at St Paul’s, only when the Royal Family comes – awkward people like that.” The King James Bible is a work of literary and spiritual genius. It is the religious register in English and its words and phrases have penetrated deeply into English literature. You cannot read 10 pages of Dickens or Arnold, George Eliot or the Brontës without coming across wholly integrated resonances of the King James Version. And, of course, English poetry is saturated with it. W?H Auden said, as he witnessed the sidelining of the King James Bible: “It was our luck to have that translation made when English was at its strongest and most robust. Why spit on our luck?”

C?H Sisson said that all we really know is what he called “the reluctant deposit on the mind’s floor”. That is to say, what you remember when you’ve forgotten everything else. For centuries, people of all walks of life have carried around with them echoes of the King James Version. So to throw it out as the church hierarchy has done amounts to a savage act of deprivation and, as this deprivation is of the Word of God in English, it is vicious iconoclasm. Sidelining the King James Version especially deprives our children and is therefore a notable case of child abuse.

There is no such thing as noble truth expressed in ignoble words. The choice of words determines what is being said. Therefore, we should choose the best.

“Strips of cloth” is no substitute for “swaddling clothes”. And Mary was “with child” – we think of the Madonna and Child – and she had not “fallen pregnant” as it says in one of the modern versions. You cannot satisfactorily replace “through a glass darkly” with the crass literalism “puzzling reflections in a mirror” or “sounding brass and tinkling cymbal” with “noisy gong and clanging cymbal”. The King James Bible was designed to be read aloud in churches. All the modern versions sound as if they have been written by tone-deaf people with tin ears and no rhythm.

What level of vacuity is reached when “Son of Belial” (i.e. the devil himself) is rendered by the New English Bible (NEB) as “a good-for-nothing”? As if the son of the devil is only a truant from the fourth form who has been stealing from the housemaster’s orchard.

The real Bible says, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.” The NEB gives us instead, “The first step to find wisdom.” But that is only the way in which babyish primary school teachers speak to their charges. The first step to find wisdom – and then, if you are ever so good little children, I’ll show you the second step. This is infantilisation. Sometimes the New Jerusalem Bible’s (NJB) pedantry, this pseudo-scholarly fascination with all that is merely foreign and obscure, is just silly, as in “You, Yahweh examine me.” But occasionally it is mindlessly un-poetic and banal, as in the substitution of “Acclaim Yahweh” for the mesmerisingly beautiful and timelessly familiar “make a joyful noise unto the Lord”. But in one example of supreme idiocy the meaning becomes impenetrable: The King James Version says, “He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord …” In the New Jerusalem Bible this degenerates into tasteless obscurantism: “If you live in the shelter of Elyon and make your home in the shadow of Shaddai, you can say to Yahweh …” The Revised Standard Version (RSV) loves to parade the translators’ acquaintance with the slightest nuances in the ancient languages but their utter ignorance of what will go into ordinary English. It renders the “giants” of Genesis as “nephilim” – to the confusion, one supposes, of elderly ladies everywhere. And the “two pence” that the Good Samaritan gave to the innkeeper as “two denarii” – lest we should imagine that the currency of the Roman Empire was the same as that of England, pre-decimalisation.

The RSV makes a habit of iconoclasm, as for instance in its destruction of that very familiar phrase: “Arise, take up thy bed and walk.” The RSV says, “Take up your pallet and go home.” Because we must on no account be allowed to imagine that the poor paralytic slunk off carrying his four-poster, we have forced upon us the literalism pallet: and the result sounds like instructions to a sloppy painter.

The NEB also cannot tell the difference between speech that is poetic and metaphorical and speech that is literal and descriptive. That is why for “wolves in sheep’s clothing” we are given instead the pantomime howler “men dressed up as sheep”. We recall perhaps Ulysses’ escape from the Cyclops or that pejorative expression “mutton dressed up as lamb”. In the KJV men are “at meat” or they “sup”; but the RSV mentions a Pharisee who “asked Jesus to dine” – where, at The Garrick or White’s? Likewise, his rebuke to the disciples on the road to Emmaus, “O fools and slow of heart” is emasculated to become “How dull you are!” How dull indeed. Can you imagine for one minute Our Lord Jesus Christ on the evening of his day of resurrection using such language? “How dull!”

The KJV’s “pearl of great price” is exhibited in more of that infantilised Blue Peter language as “a pearl of very special value”. And then the end of the world itself is described as if it were only an exceptionally hot afternoon at Goodwood: “My dear friends…” (that is the voice of the NEB’s urbane, housetrained St Peter) “…do not be bewildered by the fiery ordeal that is coming upon you, as though it were something extraordinary.” The end of the world not extraordinary?

There is a sort of discreet charm about the KJV’s saying, “It ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women.” This is marvellous. It seems to reach up the underclothes of words, as that other great admirer of biblical prose, Dylan Thomas, said. But the Jerusalem Bible was written in the era of sex education, so it can confidently come straight out with “ceased to have her monthly periods”. And the KJV’s “great whore of Babylon” seems to have lost what is left of her character when the New Jerusalem Bible refers to her only as “the famous prostitute”. Who is this – Eskimo Nell?

With studied pedantry, the New Jerusalem Bible replaces “inn” with “living space” – I suppose because they imagined readers to be so literal-minded that we might think St Luke meant the Rose and Crown. A similar pedantry removes the KJV’s lovely “coat of many colours” and offers us “a decorated tunic”. The KJV translates Psalm 139: 16 – a beautiful poem in which the Psalmist declares that God knew him “while he was yet in his mother’s womb – as thine eyes did see my substance yet being unperfect.” This is allusive, evocative, tender. Unbelievably, the NJB gives us instead, “Your eyes could see my embryo” – as if God were a member of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority.

There is a pervading irreverence bordering on blasphemy. The translation of the Psalms in the Book of Common Prayer is by Miles Coverdale and he renders the Hebrew, “O let thine ears consider well …” The NJB gives this as “Listen attentively Yahweh”. But is that the way to speak to God? What more is there to be said when we notice that the NJB renders “Vanity of vanities, all is vanity” as “Sheer futility. Everything is futile.” That phrase will serve as the motto for all the modern translations: “Sheer futility”.

How hypocritical and sordid of the church authorities relentlessly to suppress the KJV, only to take it out and gawp at it in an anniversary year, as if it were a museum piece and we were all blundering tourists. The proper place for the KJV is on the lectern in every parish church – to be read, marked, learnt and inwardly digested, week in, week out.

The Rev Dr Peter Mullen is Rector of St Michael, Cornhill, and St Sepulchre in the City of London
Religion."

And this is the Devil's Minion dressed in Christ's vestments:

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: The King of the Bibles
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »
Heh, Peter is feisty and makes several compelling points!

::thumbsup::

I've read the KJV more than any other and am used to it and understand it...I am not in favor of modernizing vernacular and toning things down...if a valid fully-sourced argument can be made demonstrating why a new translation might be more accurate in both terms of original text and its useage at the time of first writing that is one thing...but I do not condone sloppy interpretations that alter meanings and context!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 02:55:29 PM »

::thumbsup::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:07:05 PM »
...if a valid fully-sourced argument can be made demonstrating why a new translation might be more accurate in both terms of original text and its useage at the time of first writing that is one thing...but I do not condone sloppy interpretations that alter meanings and context!

Yeah. What he said.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:49:43 PM »
My thoughts might run slightly counter to the piece. First of all, I believe the King James version is the word of God. I think it is a beautiful translation, and the inherent tradition in that particular expression of the English language is without a doubt something that should be valued, preserved, cherished, and studied. King James is arguably the most important piece of literature ever penned, and being that I believe it to be divinely inspired, that is as it should be.

That said, I've been taught in recent years that the King James version of the bible is not a very literal translation, if one seeks the closest possible accuracy to the original Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic of the original languages and manuscripts. That leads to some questions.

What was the divine inspiration? The original records of events in the original languages? The English translation? Both? I think both. Therefore, I don't think it can be discounted that the Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic language originals that the King James was translated from are equally as divinely inspired.

There is room for interpretation of those original languages. King James makes full and broad use of that leeway. Liberal use, one might say. Other versions take a more literal and thus less literary approach. Others still take the original language and pervert it to comport to the desires, perversions, and agendas of this age.

So, my thought is that it doesn't have to be King James to be an authentic and accurate translation of the word of God from the original languages. Other legitimate versions perhaps remove some degree of Western history and Western culture out of bible study, but they do so with the added benefit of more literal translation of the original texts.

To be sure, there's room and justification for much of the scorn indicated in the article. But I don't think that's the entire story. There's some validity and justification for more literal translations too. That says nothing in support of those translations that use the leeway of translation to pervert the original text. I have no patience for that, and for those versions, I fully share the disdain.

I would recommend anyone who has the interest to sit down with a bible and a concordance, and chunks of a few hours at a time. Comparing the biblical rendering of the translation (whatever version you happen to prefer) with the original words in the original languages is fascinating.

I prefer the New International version or better yet, the New King James version. NKJ is my very favorite, because it retains some of the literary beauty of King James, with the "Thees, Thouests and spakeths" replaced with language we can understand that does nothing to undermine the content.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 12:02:49 AM »

It is a shame that Archbishop of Canterbury
must suffer those "awkward" people at this
celebration.  May his sufferance be a reward
to him for eternity.

I was raised with the KJV and do not
accept  other translations with the same
reverence but I have used them as an aid.

The other translations are here for a purpose
they help those not schooled in the language
to understand and possibly/hopefully they will
progress to better written translations and even-
tually to the original KJV.  Victor David Hansen
said his brother learned Hebrew that he could
know the Bible.  So, regardless where we are
on the path working to better ourselves is
the important thing.

Thanks Pan for bringing this, anytime He
is brought among us we are better, and
reminding us of our fundamental root our
common bond and how great He is and how
great our opposition.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 07:40:04 AM »
Picking up on IDP's theme, a quick cross section of good & bad versions (IMHO) -

King James Version (KJV), New King James Version (NKJV), New Living Translation (NLT), Holman Christian Std (HCS) & New Int'l Version (NIV) -

1 Tim 3.16

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. KJV   ::thumbsup::

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory. NKJV   ::thumbsup::

Without question, this is the great mystery of our faith: Christ appeared in the flesh and was shown to be righteous by the Spirit. He was seen by angels and was announced to the nations. He was believed on in the world and was taken up into heaven. NLT   ::whatgives::  (Don't hate it, but why all the extra words?)

And most certainly, the mystery of godliness is great: He was manifested in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen by angels, preached among the Gentiles, believed on in the world, taken up in glory. HCS   ::)  (Do not like the beginning..."most certainly" is akward, and this is coming from someone who like the KJV!..."the mystery of godliness is great"?...I think the putting great before godliness puts the emphasis where it belongs, on godliness not greatness!)

Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great: He appeared in a body, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory. NIV   ::falldownshocked::  (This completely misses the mark!  Beginning is no good, like the HCS above, "he appeared in a body"   ::speechless::  What, he swipe one?!  "was vindicated"?    ::whatgives::  this translation is just no good!)

What y'all think?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 07:48:29 AM »
I get the NIV translation (that's what I generally use.)  It's not like it just proclaimed Christ of indeterminate sex, or anything like that. 

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 09:48:16 AM »
I'm not a studier of the Bible, so I have no critique to add, but I do understand the author's point about the literary language and poetry of KJV; how “O fools and slow of heart” can be reinterpreted as "dull" is beyond me.  I had no idea, either, that so much of it had made its way into the language and other literary works.  Clearly, the author is distressed at what he sees as the dumbing down of not only the Bible, but the persons who are unaware they've been afflicted.

You're welcome, Charles.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"